Nexus 5 - Internet Settings

KS Uthayya

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I want to know whether the Wifi connections are automatically preferred over mobile internet connections when available and connected. Basically, if I'm connected to a Wifi netwrok, will my phone use the Wifi for ALL resulting data usage?

I ask because I've been getting charged by my mobile operator as well!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
yes if Wifi is connected it becomes primary. that's not to say that some data might not slip through the cellular connection.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had my phone use the data cell radio while on a WiFi connection. It's designed to shunt all data through WiFi the moment it connects. But no technology is perfect and some apps may be designed to still use cell data. It remains connected to LTE/HSPA+/3G even when you are connected to WiFi though the chip is supposed to kick back and take a nap in low power mode to ensure it can instantly pop back to cell data the moment you disconnect from the WiFi network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When connected to wifi, Android completely shuts off the data connection. To test, connect to your home wifi and then pull the modem connection to the wifi router. Because the phone will still have a connection to the now non-working router, you will not be able to open a web page, check mail, etc.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
When connected to wifi, Android completely shuts off the data connection. To test, connect to your home wifi and then pull the modem connection to the wifi router. Because the phone will still have a connection to the now non-working router, you will not be able to open a web page, check mail, etc.

My phones have always showed a constant mobile data connection even when connected to WiFi. I was told by someone at XDA that the phone runs the chip at the lowest power possible to save battery but still tries to stay connected so the change between WiFi and mobile is seamless. It does make more sense for Android to shut the data connection though...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7