Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Email vs Gmail Apps: Deleting an Account?

This morning, at 0538 hrs, I discovered that both the Email and Gmail apps were checking my gmail account for messages (I had turned off notifications for one app but not the other and got an email). Looking at the accounts handled by each app, I see my gmail account in both. How do I remove that account from the Email app but leave it in the Gmail app? In Email, I see the option to add an account. But, I see no way to delete an account. At the phone level, if I go to IMAP under Settings | Accounts, I see that gmail account, but I worry that if I remove it I'll be removing that account throughout the phone and not just under the Email app. Is that same gmail account I see under Settings | Accounts | Google just a sort of logical pointer to the same account as under IMAP or are they completely separate entities?

Default Re: Email vs Gmail Apps: Deleting an Account?

Quote Originally Posted by David Lessnau View Post
    This morning, at 0538 hrs, I discovered that both the Email and Gmail apps were checking my gmail account for messages (I had turned off notifications for one app but not the other and got an email). Looking at the accounts handled by each app, I see my gmail account in both. How do I remove that account from the Email app but leave it in the Gmail app? In Email, I see the option to add an account. But, I see no way to delete an account. At the phone level, if I go to IMAP under Settings | Accounts, I see that gmail account, but I worry that if I remove it I'll be removing that account throughout the phone and not just under the Email app. Is that same gmail account I see under Settings | Accounts | Google just a sort of logical pointer to the same account as under IMAP or are they completely separate entities?
    if gmail the only account on email app? then clear data/cache for email app in settings
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope. I've got two other email accounts (including my main one) under the Email app as well as my gmail account. If it weren't my gmail account (that the phone is registered under), I'd delete it under IMAP and see what happened.

Yeah, they changed it in 4.4.
    settings/accounts - find the account (might be under POP3 or IMAP. Tap on account, then settings and uncheck sync. Tap settings again and you should now have an option to delete the account.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

On my wife's Nexus 5, she didn't make the mistake of setting up her gmail account under both the Email app and the Gmail app. She just left it under the Gmail app. Checking under IMAP on her phone does NOT list her gmail address there. So, that implies that they're separate entities. As patruns said, I went under IMAP, unchecked the sync option and deleted the account. It disappeared from the Email app and the account is still present in the Gmail app. All is well with the world. Thanks.

Dear Sir,

I had the same problem too. I logged with 2 Gmail account on my Nexus5 and couldn't remove the account again. However, finally, I found the solution. Please follow these steps:
    Choose Settings>>>Accounts>>>>Google>>>select the account you want to delete from your phone>>>mzke the sync option off>>>then click on the three dots in the top right of the screen>>>you will find wanted option Delete Account.

I could not believe I finally found it

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by HaneenEzzat View Post
    Dear Sir,

I had the same problem too. I logged with 2 Gmail account on my Nexus5 and couldn't remove the account again. However, finally, I found the solution. Please follow these steps:
    Choose Settings>>>Accounts>>>>Google>>>select the account you want to delete from your phone>>>mzke the sync option off>>>then click on the three dots in the top right of the screen>>>you will find wanted option Delete Account.

I could not believe I finally found it

Regards,
    I would like to be able to disable the Gmail app such that messages to my gmail address do NOT go into the Gmail app but only the Email android app. Is there a way to do that? direct or indirect?

Thanks.

Jack

Go into Settings, under accounts select Google, then your Google account, and uncheck the option to sync Gmail.

And if you don't want to use the Gmail app at all you can also go into Settings, then Apps, swipe over to All, scroll down and select Gmail, and you can disable the Gmail app.

Posted via Android Central App