Nexus 5: GPS stopped working?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
In the past few days I just noticed that both Maps and Waze was slow to find a location when on the road or didn't work at all.
Noticed in waze, it actually states that No GPS, even though I have high accuracy set. This happens no matter where I am, been in NYC, suburbs. I've had the phone about 2 months or so, no major drops or hardware issues. I rebooted multiple times, turned on and off location services, with no effect. Any ideas? Should I try a factory reset? (I am running in ART mode)
I'm hoping its not a hardware issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: GPS stopped working?

AT&T. I did a safe boot too, same issue. I am seeing if its one of the apps doing this, deleted Waze.
Oddly enough after the safe boot, and boot normal, my home screen (and widgets)were gone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

AT&T. I did a safe boot too, same issue. I am seeing if its one of the apps doing this, deleted Waze.
Oddly enough after the safe boot, and boot normal, my home screen (and widgets)were gone.

Yes, I think because it boots into Safe Mode so the home screen gets changed, like on a PC. Maybe the GPS is being affected by the cold or weather somehow.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I just had this issue today and I think it was somehow related to the Qualcom battery app I had installed. I uninstalled it and the phone froze. I had to do a cold boot (hold power button long) and it went away.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Whenever you have an issue with gps toggle gps on/off and see if the connection re-establishes. That might help gain signal in the interim, but is not the long term solution you seem to be having with gps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I am also having a problem GPS on my Nexus 5. If I'm sitting at an intersection or red light, Waze will still report that I'm traveling from 1-10 miles an hour. The arrow will sometimes switch directions. It will switch to service roads if I'm traveling parallel to one. Just to be very inaccurate.

Waze works fine on my Nexus 4 just fine...

Posted via Android Central App

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Well after multiple safe mode reboots, uninstalling and reinstalling waze and and a few other apps, my GPS seems to be back working now. Very strange.

scuttlefield

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally fixed the GPS problems on my Nexus 5! For me (after trying all sorts of other fixes), it turns out that the problem is with the contacts on the phone not making a good connection with the GPS antennae on the back cover. If you're okay with doing a little surgery (it really wasn't that hard), get some cardstock or construction paper, some electrical tape, a pin, and some strong fingernails and watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBpNtWvY454 (FYI: I just used my fingernails to pry off the back cover (which was actually the hardest part of the whole process) and I used the pin to gently lift the GPS contacts in order to put the cardstock underneath it.)

I'm now getting a GPS lock in under 10 seconds (inside my house, no less!). Before, I couldn't get it to lock at all.

SteveFromCleve

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Believe it or not, I solved GPS problems on two Nexus 5s. One had intermittent GPS problems and the other behaved as if the GPS was totally dead: I removed the cheap plastic protective cover. And it continued working even when I put the cover back. I'm guessing some dirt particle was involved here but would be happy to hear some better suggestion as to why this worked.

SteveFromCleve

JoelParke

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much -- this fixed my phone! And it was easy to verify first, just by pressing the upper left hand corner of the phone (between the front and back) with the thumb and index finger!

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
The above video and youtube comments were very helpful. The antenna contacts fix did the trick. I went though all the safe mode boots and uninstalling Waze etc and it was really just the loose antenna contacts.

xjustinwomackx

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
This fix worked for my Nexus 5 with non-functional GPS. I just used a leatherman and electrical tape. Don't bother cutting paper, just use a few folds of tape.

MrMoke

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Following this thread, when I came to "pinch" the top left corner of my nexus 5 I realized the case was parted here, having had to remove the cover. Once I pressed it back together the GPS works fine. Thanks everyone for posting your experience and ideas.
:)

paddyhogan

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the same for me. The top left corner of the case had popped open, maybe as a result of a drop or other pressure. Once snapped back, the GPS started working again.

blastthedull

May 14, 2015
Visit site
When I had such issues, for me was a perfect way out to reboot the phone. In a little while it turned out to be conflicting with some other android app that was like google maps. Basically, if you try to clear off all google maps like apps, it should work. Sometimes they may ask your android for additional permissions and conflict because of that.

MikeCpu

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU! Worked for my 17mo old Nexus5 4.4.2 Kitkat GPS problem which only started having the problem today.
But one corner of back would not snap back on.
Saved me from having to switch phones. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2