Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Hi everyone,

    I was just wondering how you felt about battery life with different runtimes - I use the optimized dalvik and for me, it has improved my battery life a little more than the others.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    FWIW, I'm running CM11 (4.4 KitKat) on my Galaxy Nexus, on the latest nightly build. I have found that ART gives me better overall battery life when compared to Dalvik.

    I am constantly amused by the fact that by running
    1) a NIGHTLY rom (not listed as stable, or milestone... only nightlies so far!)
    2) running ART (which CM states as officially unsupported)
    3) on an older (and no longer supported) device

    I'm able to get better performance (far less problems with lag, freeze-ups or shutdowns) AND better battery life then I could ever manage with the factory stock image (4.3 JB).

    And yes I know it's not a N5 running a factory image of KK, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. (By the way, what is Optimized Dalvik? this is the first I've heard of it!)
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

    Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    I'm also interested to know about optimized dalvik. I'm on stock unrooted and I switched to ART last night. No improvement in battery that I've noticed so far. My battery has been fine though, just not as good since I filled up most of the phone's internal storage (temporarily).

    Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    In theory ART is faster and extends battery life because the apps are pre-compiled. With Davlik apps are compiled on the fly when you launch them. This increases speed when opening and also cuts down on processor load which should increase battery life. How much depends on the app involved, but I have noticed a slight increase in battery life as well as app start up. The downside is pre-compiling the apps take a little bit more drive space, though not much more.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    In theory ART is faster and extends battery life because the apps are pre-compiled. With Davlik apps are compiled on the fly when you launch them. This increases speed when opening and also cuts down on processor load which should increase battery life. How much depends on the app involved, but I have noticed a slight increase in battery life as well as app start up. The downside is pre-compiling the apps take a little bit more drive space, though not much more.
    Is this still true if I'm unrooted? Maybe I won't switch back then... Thank you for the info.

    Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Yes, rooting has nothing to do with it.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Yes, rooting has nothing to do with it.
    Many thanks. :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    ART uses the cpu far less than dalvik in everyday use that extends the battery. Dalvik has to covert portable bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone every time you start up an App. ART converts all the Apps bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone just one time and stored it that way as a App ready to run in the CPU. So your App will never have to ever take that extra CPU step ever again under ART.
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    ART uses the cpu far less than dalvik in everyday use that extends the battery. Dalvik has to covert portable bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone every time you start up an App. ART converts all the Apps bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone just one time and stored it that way as a App ready to run in the CPU. So your App will never have to ever take that extra CPU step ever again under ART.
    That sounds really good. :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Just converted. I'm interested in seeing any difference. I did 2 hard resets recently because I'm not sure if an app broke my wifi's ability to hold onto my home router. It's been fine since the hard reset. I've also cut down on the number of app installed (no facebook, twitter, instagram, and a bunch of other apps, I use the mobile site instead), and standby time has been stellar. Maybe 0.5%-1% drainage per hour. I see if ART improves upon this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Optimized dalvik is the bionic and dalvik libraries from the moto x, they are supposed to increase performance and battery life.

    So does anyone else have experience with those two? I would really like to know.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by p3ntyne; 01-12-2014 at 01:34 AM.
  12. #12  
    undulose's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    I have just switched to ART. I'm gonna observe for a few weeks and see if there's a drastic change in battery life and performance. The things I've noticed, though, are less RAM and 0.6 GB added to my storage.


    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by undulose View Post
    I have just switched to ART. I'm gonna observe for a few weeks and see if there's a drastic change in battery life and performance. The things I've noticed, though, are less RAM and 0.6 GB added to my storage.


    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I guess that's the downside...

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    798 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    ART does take a bit more storage, but I'm happy to spare the room on my 32 GB N5 for the performance and battery life improvement it delivers.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  
    undulose's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    ART does take a bit more storage, but I'm happy to spare the room on my 32 GB N5 for the performance and battery life improvement it delivers.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Same here man. I don't feel compromised having less storage since I'm not a storage junkie like others. I still have 10.3 GB free. ^_^

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    yfan likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by undulose View Post
    Same here man. I don't feel compromised having less storage since I'm not a storage junkie like others. I still have 10.3 GB free. ^_^

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Is that all, I have 24Gb free and nothing to fill it with...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  
    undulose's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    Is that all, I have 24Gb free and nothing to fill it with...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Can't beat that man!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    So far, so good. Idle time has been markedly improved. I'm going on 12 hours from my last charge, and my N5 has only dropped 3% from 100 to 97%. Under Dalvik, I'd be anywhere from 87% to 94%.
  19. #19  
    KC1988's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Two weeks ago, I changed to ART. I reverted back to Dalvik. I saw perhaps very minor speed improvements in app usage. The downside was the overnight standby battery. On Dalvik, phone loses 5% or less with phone on (wifi on, cell on, no background apps). On ART, the phone lost 20-25% overnight. This was over 3 night period, so I switched back to Dalvik. During the day, didn't see any battery improvement.
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    I'm also interested to know about optimized dalvik. I'm on stock unrooted and I switched to ART last night. No improvement in battery that I've noticed so far. My battery has been fine though, just not as good since I filled up most of the phone's internal storage (temporarily).

    Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    As others have stated, you do trade a bit of storage and RAM for the benefits of ART. Some people are claiming more benefit, others are claiming none, and I've seen a few saying things are worse on ART. As with any other fairly major change, track your usage patterns, battery life, screen on time etc before AND after for a few days to see how things settle in. For me, my usage patterns changed somewhat around the time I switched to ART, but in-use does seem a lot easier on battery. Standby I would say is about even. Biggest thing is to let it settle in a few days.

    Oh yeah, and make sure you've got a good chunk of time when you do the switch. ART has to re-compile everything and it takes a LOT longer switching to ART then it does switching back. On my Gnex with approx 150 apps it takes a good 20 minutes. On Dalvik it takes slightly less then half that. Not a bad thing, just don't try to make the switch when you're in a rush somewhere.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

    Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Have been running ART on mine and the wife's N5's for the past several weeks. I ran Davlik when I originally purchased my N5 on initial release and for my use it seems I get about 1/2 hour more screen on time with ART. It does vary though depending on what you are doing. Watching a movie seems to use less battery for me than extended Web browsing. Speed wise I really can't tell a difference as the N5 is just silly fast on either.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Okay, I understand that people are seeing better battery life with ART but no one has mentioned anything about the Qualcomm optimized dalvik... Am I the only one using it?

    I guess the only reason I am using it is because I really love Xposed Framework which disables ART.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    Okay, I understand that people are seeing better battery life with ART but no one has mentioned anything about the Qualcomm optimized dalvik... Am I the only one using it?

    I guess the only reason I am using it is because I really love Xposed Framework which disables ART.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Tease us with a little more info come on.... We can handle it!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    Tease us with a little more info come on.... We can handle it!
    A little more info...
  25. #25  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life - Dalvik vs Optimized Dalvik vs ART

    Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    A little more info...
    LOL. OK, did some reading. I'll give it consideration

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mt wont turn on,not the usual battery issue
    By a fraking toaster in forum Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Best Battery monitor app
    By dandrew68 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  3. Google search battery drain
    By geekynerd00 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

B