Nexus 5: Ok Google not working?

HamsapLou

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I had accidentally uninstalled its app or what, but Ok Google is not working for me anymore.

Got my new nexus 5 yesterday. Google play automatically installed a lot of old applications from my old device.
I didn't want that, so I deleted a bunch of apps. So I'm not sure if I had accidentally deleted it. Does anyone know the app name?

if it's not an app, then any possible solution for my problem?
Thank you.
Sorry if this thread has been repeated.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ok Google not working?

I'm not sure if I had accidentally uninstalled its app or what, but Ok Google is not working for me anymore.

Got my new nexus 5 yesterday. Google play automatically installed a lot of old applications from my old device.
I didn't want that, so I deleted a bunch of apps. So I'm not sure if I had accidentally deleted it. Does anyone know the app name?

if it's not an app, then any possible solution for my problem?
Thank you.
Sorry if this thread has been repeated.

You're having the same issue I'm having. I did 3 factory resets and still don't understand the what the problem is. Hope someone has a solution

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Google Settings>Search>Voice, and make sure "Hotword detection" is checked on. If that doesn't work, try rebooting the device.

If none of that works, try a cache partition wipe. You won't lose any personal data or settings. Be aware that it might take a few minutes to complete. Reset: Google Nexus 5 | T-Mobile Support

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

What exactly is the issue?

Go to Google Now and scroll down to open the Menu (three-dots). Open the Voice setting and make sure Hotword Detection is enabled (box checked).

If you are getting a "can't connect with Google Server error" then that's an issue with the network and should be reconnected soon after.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

Go to Google Now and scroll down to open the Menu (three-dots). Open the Voice setting and make sure Hotword Detection is enabled (box checked).

If you are getting a "can't connect with Google Server error" then that's an issue with the network and should be reconnected soon after.

I have the same issue as the OP and yes my hotword is selected. When I go to help I get a message that says my google now has been disabled by the domain administrator. I never got a message like that before. Did 3 factory resets and still same issue. My galaxy nexus and GS4 work just fine though. I researched the internet and found many others having the same issue.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I have the same issue as the OP and yes my hotword is selected. When I go to help I get a message that says my google now has been disabled by the domain administrator. I never got a message like that before. Did 3 factory resets and still same issue. My galaxy nexus and GS4 work just fine though. I researched the internet and found many others having the same issue.
I would guess it's a server issue on Google's side. Give it a while and see if it is fixed.

HamsapLou

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Google Settings>Search>Voice, and make sure "Hotword detection" is checked on. If that doesn't work, try rebooting the device.

If none of that works, try a cache partition wipe. You won't lose any personal data or settings. Be aware that it might take a few minutes to complete. Reset: Google Nexus 5 | T-Mobile Support
Thank you for the welcome :D

Hotword detection was always on.
i think you're correct cause it seems to be working now.
Newb question, how would you get the can't connect google server error. Just curious, for future reference.

radeon962

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site

I just turned it off as it seems to be a battery drain.

Long press on a blank part of the home screen select settings under voice toggle the Hotword detection on or off as you desire.

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Is your mic on the home screen filled in white? If not then hotword is not on. I think it needs a data connection...

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

crucialcolin

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I noticed on my nexus 5 the voice command sometimes works then other times it won't even with hotword on.

I often wind up looking stupid yelling "OK Google" at my phone homescreen multiple times in front of others lol.

Seems to be happening both on the homescreen then the mic input in Google now itself seems to be affected as well. If you try that instead it wont accept the input. Basicly the round mic button doesnt do anything during those times its acting up. The only way around it when it happens that I've found is by going into hangouts and hiting the keyboard mic button during a text input or rebooting the phone itself.

It definitely seems like there are software issues to be worked out with Google now.

blanco112

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

This has started happening to me lately. When I boot up, it works. But after about an hour or so the microphone icon becomes hollow and hotword stops working. This is on both my Nexus 7 running Omnirom and my Galaxy S4 running stock. I've check to make sure that the languages are installed and that hotword detection is on.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Do you have chrome beta installed by any chance? The latest update by google for chrome beta makes the mic inaccessible.

Zorka Kovacevich

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Ok Google not working!

Definitely it's not working and re-installing it doesn't help at all. It just went away.

Same problem with Google Keep over the past two weeks. I lost tons of documents in Keep and going to the forum didn't help at all, nor did sending out a message via Twitter . They're just simply ignoring these problems because there's too many of them.

I think in the main Google really doesn't care whether or not the stuff they put out functions. It's gotten out of control with the amount of product they've created and now keeping it all going is no longer feasible. I do believe the worst is still to come because they're juggling and have too many balls in the air!

Dreading the day when I no longer see Google Search on my screen. Maybe it's time to go and make friends with Mr. Bing? :(

BTW: I use the Google Chromebook (no Bing on this machine!)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ok Google not working!

Welcome to Android Central! That sounds very frustrating. What exactly happened? You just went to Keep one day and everything was gone? It wasn't even there when you went on the web to drive.google.com/keep? Did you try going to this website(https://support.google.com/drive/?hl=en#topic=14940) and clicking on the Contact Us button at the upper right?

For what it's worth, I know some of the engineers at Google, and I can tell you that the overall work ethic there is certainly one of caring about the user experience. It's true that they have a lot of products and projects, but they're also a gigantic company, so it's not like they just have a team of 10 people working on a major component. Historically, Google has not had a great customer feedback mechanism (the Google Product Forums always seem to be full of unanswered questions), but I think that has changed in recent years. I have been able to speak to live people after starting with the Contact Us option on their support pages, so give that a try.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the welcome :D

Hotword detection was always on.
i think you're correct cause it seems to be working now.
Newb question, how would you get the can't connect google server error. Just curious, for future reference.

I constantly say things to Google search and ALWAYS get the "can't connect to Google". Very frustrating as my phone (GNex) has the offline recognition option checked and it doesn't work. It even happens when I have a perfect signal and just trying to do a phone call not even look something up online. I've never seen anyone have to ask Siri anything more than once. It always seems to work perfectly whereas Google Now voice works once in a blue moon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The GNex is a pretty old device, though. Google Now never worked that well on my RAZR Maxx, but it's totally smooth on my Nexus 5 and 7. How is it on your N7?

Posted via Android Central App

liv4speed.aniket

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site

Hi there! I think I may have found a fix to your problem.
As it turns out, the "Google" hotword is only available if you have English (US) set as your preferred language in Google Now.
1. Click on "options" (three dotted button) at the end of the Google Now screen
2. Go to "Voice"
3. Go to "Language"
4. Click on "English..." and select "English (US)"
Go back to the Google Now screen and you should be able to see the 'Search, or say "Google"' text in the search box.
I had the same issue and I figured this could work, seeing as to how a lot of such features are region/language specific.
Hope this works for you.

Posted via Android Central App

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Mine stopped working and someone on XDA said there was a conflict with Chrome Beta and its mic permission. I. uninstalled it and haven't had a problem since. You actually don't have to uninstall, but as soon as you launch Chrome Beta it will stop working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress