Nexus 5 ATT LTE

bonypony

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Having an issue with Lte on att. I can connect to Lte on a reboot. When Lte is not available, I drop to Hspa fine. The issue is the N5 won't connect back to Lte without a reboot. Anybody else see this or have a solution?

Posted via Android Central App

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
No, not at all. Perfect for me w AT&T.
One thing I did was go to my local att corp store and have them scan the imei from my N5 and give me a new Micro sim card. I was using a Nano sim in the Moto X.
Just being the box down to att and let them scan it.
Don't forget to shut your phone down completely after they do their thing in the computer.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
No, not at all. Perfect for me w AT&T.
One thing I did was go to my local att corp store and have them scan the imei from my N5 and give me a new Micro sim card. I was using a Nano sim in the Moto X.
Just being the box down to att and let them scan it.
Don't forget to shut your phone down completely after they do their thing in the computer.

Did much same thing. Most important is their having your IMEI in their computer system. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Did much same thing. Most important is their having your IMEI in their computer system. Good luck!

Please explain this to me. I'm ignorant about this issue. What are the advantages in having the IMEI in the AT&T computer system? I'm using the original micro sim issued with my S3. I have no problem getting LTE when off wifi and in an LTE area.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Please explain this to me. I'm ignorant about this issue. What are the advantages in having the IMEI in the AT&T computer system? I'm using the original micro sim issued with my S3. I have no problem getting LTE when off wifi and in an LTE area.

That allows them, I guess, to specifically identify your equipment and clue it in for LTE. But you also need to make sure your plan accommodates LTE. My assumption is your plan already does because of your S3. Don't know details but my Nexus 5 and that of my son did not have LTE until we made sure AT&T had their IMEIs and our plans were LTE ones. We both came from Nexus 4s without LTE. Then it was automatic recognition. No problems since.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no reason to ask AT&T scan your IMEI at all. The minute you connected your phone to AT&T network, your IMEI is automatically transmitted to AT&T on your account. There is only downside to do so (so AT&T knows you are using a smartphone and hence will require you to pay for Smartphone data plan from now on).

N5 will switch to HSPA when LTE signal is too low. It tends to hold on to HSPA until LTE signal back to strong again. There is no need to reboot the phone (you can just toggle the airplane mode) but move to a location with better LTE signal.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
There is no reason to ask AT&T scan your IMEI at all. The minute you connected your phone to AT&T network, your IMEI is automatically transmitted to AT&T on your account. There is only downside to do so (so AT&T knows you are using a smartphone and hence will require you to pay for Smartphone data plan from now on).

N5 will switch to HSPA when LTE signal is too low. It tends to hold on to HSPA until LTE signal back to strong again. There is no need to reboot the phone (you can just toggle the airplane mode) but move to a location with better LTE signal.

That did not work for us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

carwashi

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Having an issue with Lte on att. I can connect to Lte on a reboot. When Lte is not available, I drop to Hspa fine. The issue is the N5 won't connect back to Lte without a reboot. Anybody else see this or have a solution?

This happens to me randomly on occasion. I just toggle airplane mode and it fixes it self. A reboot is not needed.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a problem where it wants to disconnect from LTE and move over to HSPA+. It only moves back when I get a stronger LTE signal but it's sort of wonky. Toggling airplane mode does the trick. There is a bug in the radio which is causing all sorts of problems including this. Hopefully Google releases a fix and fast.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a problem where it wants to disconnect from LTE and move over to HSPA+. It only moves back when I get a stronger LTE signal but it's sort of wonky. Toggling airplane mode does the trick. There is a bug in the radio which is causing all sorts of problems including this. Hopefully Google releases a fix and fast.

I saw the same thing the other day. Had full LTE signal strength and I had no data. Airplane ,mode of and on cures it.

You're right, it needs a fix from Google.

bonypony

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Using airplane mode to try and get back on Lte doesn't work for me. Once the radio is turned back on then it won't connect to either hspa or lte. Have to reboot.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Even though I let them scan the imei, you are correct.. one does not have to provide them with it. As long as you have the smartphone LTE plan then you are fine..or should be.
In my situation, I needed a micro sim so I left them scan...
BTW...I have switched my N5 sim with a couple other LTE devices (my htc one, note 3) and they all work perfectly.

radeon962

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Stop by an AT&T retail location. They will swap out the SIM for free and provision it for LTE. If LTE is not available in your area, it will switch to what's available.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Stop by an AT&T retail location. They will swap out the SIM for free and provision it for LTE. If LTE is not available in your area, it will switch to what's available.

If he can get LTE sometimes then his account and SIM are provisioned. The dropped LTE signal is due to faulty radio software. Hopefully Google will get going on this...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If the LTE signal is low, like 1 bar, N5 seems to prefer fall back to HSPA. As mentioned, it is likely a software bug. You won't get back to LTE until your LTE signal is good enough.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If the LTE signal is low, like 1 bar, N5 seems to prefer fall back to HSPA. As mentioned, it is likely a software bug. You won't get back to LTE until your LTE signal is good enough.

This is great and if it worked properly would be very helpful for battery life. The problem is that it doesn't like to switch back, even when I have a strong LTE signal to fall back on. For example an hour ago I had 4 bars of HSPA+ and when I flipped airplane mode on and off it switched to a 5 bar LTE signal. Not sure if that is what bug you were referring to.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Part of the issue could be the actual network itself.

The BSC (Base Station Controller) tells the handset what to register on and when to upgrade to higher standard or when to fall back to a lower standard.

It is possible that at&t has not fully provisioned it's network for "best service" for the N5 as they do not sell it.

So at&t branded handsets receive LTE priority while "grey" handsets may see lower network performance from time to time depending on network conditions.

Just a theory,

Dan

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Part of the issue could be the actual network itself.

The BSC (Base Station Controller) tells the handset what to register on and when to upgrade to higher standard or when to fall back to a lower standard.

It is possible that at&t has not fully provisioned it's network for "best service" for the N5 as they do not sell it.

So at&t branded handsets receive LTE priority while "grey" handsets may see lower network performance from time to time depending on network conditions.

Just a theory,

Dan

I'm no expert by any means, but what you just said sums up what I've experienced so far on AT&T. Its up and down and definitely not as consistent as my previous AT&T branded device.

t4t3r

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my N5 on att. Can only get my LTE signal back with a reboot. Driving me nuts and ready to switch to another device. Visited a corporate store last night, they added my imei and made sure everything was good. Phone seemed to actually work fine until late today when it went back to the same behavior. This is ridiculous...

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Nexus 5 a week ago and use it on AT&T. I have consistent LTE. The few times it dropped to HSPA it went right back to LTE with no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781