Nexus 5: How's the camera coming along?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought an N5 at launch but haven't used it in about a month. I was waiting for Google to update the software to improve the focus speed mainly. I see they released an update. What's the verdict on the update? I remember auto focus being very slow and could not capture anything moving, even slowly. I also had a low keeper rate for regular shots as we'll with focus being missed too often.

Just curious if I should wipe the dust off and give it another try.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: How's the camera coming along?

Only you can answer that. I use the phone daily for photos on the job and I have no complaints. I've snapped a LOT of photos in the last few weeks and I can count on one hand the number of bad shots. On a typical day I take on average 100 pictures. Just use the appropriate mode when taking pictures.

Because I use a phone as my main camera, for reasons of portability and to minimize the amount of devices I carry on the job, my first choice was a Lumia 1020. That was a spectacular camera. I just couldn't get past the OS, and the lack of app support. My past phone was a GS3, and although the shutter was faster between shots, the picture quality of the N5 is every bit as good, IMO, and the N5 takes much better low-light shots.

These are just my experiences, FWIW. There are other threads that cover this in depth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm coming from a Razr Maxx, whose camera was unfairly criticized, but admittedly still pretty mediocre. I am finding the N5 camera to be terrific so far. Images are sharp, color saturation is decent, and it captures action pretty well. Low light pics are also good.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Like Gwaron said, only you can answer your question. Mine is working great, better with the update, but I had no complaints before it. Try it out again. Every forum has plenty of complaints about there camera, but I've yet to try one that I couldn't get a good shot from. I think there are a lot of people out there that have shaky hands.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The video camera is astonishingly bad in my experience unless you're outside on a sunny day.

The still shots are great though.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Overall, it has improved. Keep in mind that everyone expects something different from the device, so you should take it did a ride and see how r you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Coming from an N4 (and before that a Galaxy Nexus) and never having used the camera before it was patched I have to say I'm thrilled with the camera. The video is a step up from my previous cameras but nothing to write home about, but when taking photos of relatively slow moving or static images I'd put the Nexus 5 with HDR+ mode on up against almost any phone's camera. It also excels at low-light situations, although the lack of rapid movement becomes more important. In well-lit rooms or outside HDR+ sometimes will correctly isolate quick-moving subjects while also extending dynamic range, but this is hit and miss and if you're taking a can't-miss photo of say a game played at a first birthday party you are better off going without HDR+ in all probability.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The camera is still a bit too slow to focus, especially in low-light but I am overall pleased with the performance and rarely have to delete or retake a pic. I keep it in HDR+ by default.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been finding it so much better in my eyes on par with the 5s

In terms of results I'd put my better images against with what I see on the 5s in the hands of associates. The 5s is clearly a faster performing camera when it comes to focusing and shutter lag which matters on some subjects, and the panoramas are simply better (in part because they don't throw away so much resolution), but for my needs I'm quite happy with the N5 (and prefer it in basically every other category).

robertmclure

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had my N5 now for about 3 mos so I've used the camera before and after the update that updated the camera functionality. Before the update the camera was sluggish, and after the update the camera was much quicker. As another reply indicated, it will take slightly longer to focus, but the pics themselves are fantastic. Especially in low light. HDR+ is good, but does slow down the capture.

Posted via Android Central App