1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Nexus 5 Bluetooth Questions

So I hate starting new threads because 90% of the time the answer already exists somewhere, but after quite a bit of searching I'm giving up, so here goes.

I used to have a Moto Droid 3 and loved it, but then I got a job that supplied me with a free iPhone. I now have a new job and must return the iPhone and decided to try the Nexus 5.
    The problem is that I cannot figure out how to get it working right with my truck bluetooth and I am almost ready to return it and get my own iPhone instead. (I would rather stick with Google if I can make it work)

Siri, when synced, would mute the radio, read my SMS messages over the speakers, and give me the option to reply (and any other Siri commands). Then Siri would cut off and my music would come back on.
    I have been able to get Google Now to send messages when no connected to my truck bluetooth, but when my truck is on and radio going, Google Now does NOT mute the radio and does NOT reply over my speakers. Also I cannot for the life of me figure out how to command it to read messages and emails.
    Being able to do voice commands while driving is pretty beneficial for me. (I also liked being able to ask Siri about nearby restaurants while driving, I just hated when she loaded them in Apple Maps) Also the Play/Pause button on my radio has a serious delay during media playback compared to iPhone. (Tested with Pandora and YouTube)
    Is there an app or setting out there that can fix this, or should I return my 2 day old Nexus and just go back to iPhone?

More info
    Phone: Nexus 5
    Vehicle: 2012 Tacoma

Default Re: Nexus 5 Bluetooth Questions

Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the Tacoma's factory-installed entertainment/Bluetooth system, or is it some aftermarket setup? Unfortunately for us Android enthusiasts, most cars that integrate with smartphones still do it best with iPhones, not with Android. So it may just be a limitation of the truck's software.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm using the stock radio that has built in Bluetooth. I thought Bluetooth was it's own standard and should be usable by anyone, so why does Android have problems?
    Surely someone has a fix for this. I love Android and the Nexus, but this may be a deal breaker for me as much as I drive. I missed having my swype and larger screen. I still have time to decide.

This is technically beyond me, but it may be that Google Now does not utilize the A2DP protocol (which is what's used for music played over Bluetooth) for its sound output. Presumably, it's also a different protocol than whatever transmits voice calls over Bluetooth to the speakers as well. But I am starting speak out of my rear end a bit, so maybe I should stop, since I really don't know the details ...

Bluetooth is not just Bluetooth.** There are 30 something “bluetooth profiles” (AD2P is just one, as was mentioned) that control each little piece of what can be done.** Finding out which BT profiles are supported by both the phone and the radio could be a hassle.** Plus the software in the radio is probably tweaked to work better with Apple, as is the case with a lot of vehicles.* Android seems to be playing catchup being integrated in external devices like this.** Google Bluetooth profile and you’ll find a lot of info.** If it doesn’t work it probably just won’t work, unless Toyota somehow updates it to play better with Android.*** I’m pretty sure my wife’s Honda is the same way, it will read her texts, etc. from her N5, but I don’t think it will do the whole gamut of things she could do if it was an iphone connected to it.***

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

As B. Diddy stated in the first response, that is a limitation of your car's bluetooth implementation. My Toyota handles this just fine (though technically, it isn't "Google now" that is sending the message over). Incoming message will cause my music/navigation to stop on my car, and it will read the message out loud to me after asking me if I want to listen to it (It is the car's receiver that is reading it out - not the phone). Gives me the option to respond to the message, and will resume music/nav after that is done.

Well at least Android is catching up in the Auto world. Google now counts 4 of the top 10 auto manufacturers in the world as backers.

Google has launched a partnership with carmakers General Motors, Audi, Honda, and Hyundai, as well as with chipmaker Nvidia, to bring the Android operating system to vehicles in 2014.

The group, called the Open Auto Alliance, aims to marry Android's widespread use and app support with openness and customization, according to the group's announcement Monday, the opening day of CES 2014.