Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...

So over the past few nights I've noticed my Nexus 5 has been draining its battery like a sieve. Literally upwards of 30-50% overnight, with the screen off. Last night I turned off WiFi before I went to bed at around 10 and shut down any apps in the multi-task window that were open (not sure if that does anything), battery was at 59%. Woke up around 5, checked the battery, and it was at 17%.

FWIW, my screen brightness is kept around 30%.

Battery usage stats are:

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-15-05-03-06.jpg

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-14-05-49-06.jpg

Before I went to sleep I also downloaded GSam Battery Monitor (wasn't sure which would be the best for this purpose), and here are its screenshots:

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-15-05-04-10.jpg

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-15-05-04-19.jpg

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-15-05-04-32.jpg

Over the past 4 nights I've tried different things, and the only thing that has resulted in minimal (meaning
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-15-2014 at 12:41 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Default Re: Another battery drain thread...

BTW, and OT, but where are the "Screenshots" saved on this device? Couldn't find them in the drive (connected via USB to my laptop) even when I searched "screenshot", so had to go into my photos and email them to myself to upload!

Screenshots should be in a folder in the gallery app.

Turn off Bluetooth at night and see if that helps. Also, a screenshot of all running apps after you think you have closed everything would help.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    BTW, and OT, but where are the "Screenshots" saved on this device? Couldn't find them in the drive (connected via USB to my laptop) even when I searched "screenshot", so had to go into my photos and email them to myself to upload!
    The directory should be '/sdcard/pictures/screenshots'

Sounds like you either installed a new app that is a piece of junk, or you got an app update that has some bad code in it, or you had an app get in a squirly state (it happens and is usually fixed by a reboot).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

edit: nm

Make sure Chrome is shut off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...

Close all the tabs in Chrome. One of the tabs is probably running a runaway rogue page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    Close all the tabs in Chrome. One of the tabs is probably running a runaway rogue page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    So closing the app in the multi task window doesn't effectively shut it down?

No. You'll have to go to it in Settings, Apps and force close it.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Or close all of the tabs before exiting out of Chrome.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    No. You'll have to go to it in Settings, Apps and force close it.

I use Clean Sweep periodically and it will kill the apps (per your preferences) with the 'push of a button', freeing memory.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I use Clean Sweep periodically and it will kill the apps (per your preferences) with the 'push of a button', freeing memory.
    Thanks for the tip, do you do it to conserve battery or memory or both?

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Thanks for the tip, do you do it to conserve battery or memory or both?

Both, and to satisfy my OCD nature
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    Both, and to satisfy my OCD nature
    Well that's good enough for me. Thanks.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Thought I'd come back to update the thread. So I've been powering the device off and on and ensuring I am closing all open Chrome tabs (or hitting Force Stop on Chrome and other apps in the Apps menu under Settings). Many nights things are fine and the battery drop is 10-15% max.

Once again last night the battery drop was dramatic (went to bed with it around 65% and woke up at 13%). Before I went to bed as I mentioned, I closed any open apps, went into Settings and force stopped several apps (like Chrome), and shut off wifi (forgot to shut off bluetooth but this doesn't seem to take up much battery according to the screens and I hadn't been turning it off previously).

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-46-45-1-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-46-49-2-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-47-01-1-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-47-06-1-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-47-30-1-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-47-36-1-.jpg
    Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-20-05-47-41-1-.jpg

Is it possible that it's the radio in the phone as it does struggle with signal (I find the N5 has terrible reception compared to the Q10 I had before it and even my wife's Moto-X)? I assume the high Chrome usage is simply because I was using Chrome before I force stopped it (and cycled the power) then went to sleep.

It would be quite irritating if I literally have to put this thing in Airplane mode (shut it down) before going to bed just to ensure the battery doesn't die if it's not charged higher than 60%!).

Apologies, as I forgot to take "before" pics of the battery usage.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

In your post, you indicated "shut off wifi" - I assume mobile data is disabled as well (mobile data will usually consume more battery than WiFi)

If you don't mind, try this out.
    • Fully charge (100%) your phone before you go to sleep, and reboot it.
    • Turn off WiFi/mobile data
    • Set it aside for the night
    • Review battery usage in the morning
    mrsmumbles likes this.

I posted a thread over in XDA regarding massive overnight battery drain after updating to 4.4.2. (Battery life was fine of 4.4.1) I ended up RMAing for that because nothing else seemed to work.

You mention the signal strength though, which may be your culprit. Try posting a screen of the little battery drain graph thing. On the bottom it also shows signal strength and the time your phone is spent awake. If we can see your phone is being kept awake, it may help to narrow it down. Also, are you running ART or Dalvik. I have had battery drain problems on ART after updating to 4.4.2.

Do you have Dropbox installed? If yes do you have auto photo synch enabled? If yes to both try turning off the Dropbox auto photo synch.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    In your post, you indicated "shut off wifi" - I assume mobile data is disabled as well (mobile data will usually consume more battery than WiFi)

If you don't mind, try this out.
    • Fully charge (100%) your phone before you go to sleep, and reboot it.
    • Turn off WiFi/mobile data
    • Set it aside for the night
    • Review battery usage in the morning
    Did this and the next morning only 3% of the battery drained over night.

Having said that, last night I left both wifi and mobile data on, and again charged it to 100%, powered it off and on, and only about 7% of the battery drained.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    I posted a thread over in XDA regarding massive overnight battery drain after updating to 4.4.2. (Battery life was fine of 4.4.1) I ended up RMAing for that because nothing else seemed to work.

You mention the signal strength though, which may be your culprit. Try posting a screen of the little battery drain graph thing. On the bottom it also shows signal strength and the time your phone is spent awake. If we can see your phone is being kept awake, it may help to narrow it down. Also, are you running ART or Dalvik. I have had battery drain problems on ART after updating to 4.4.2.
    I'm using Dalvik as XBMC doesn't run with ART and I use that app on occasion. The past couple nights have been okay battery drain wise, so will keep monitoring and if it drops again like a rock post that screen shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclake View Post
    Do you have Dropbox installed? If yes do you have auto photo synch enabled? If yes to both try turning off the Dropbox auto photo synch.
    Where is this function? Wouldn't it show up as a large user of battery if it was the culprit?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    pbc

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

BTW, if I do a factory reset on the phone a couple questions:

1. I assume it won't erase all my photos/videos?
    2. Does it automatically reinstall all apps that I had previously installed?

Thx

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Did this and the next morning only 3% of the battery drained over night.
    Having said that, last night I left both wifi and mobile data on, and again charged it to 100%, powered it off and on, and only about 7% of the battery drained.
    For the next week or so, would it be possible to keep doing this? Just to see if the problem recurs? If it does, you should be able to identify the culprit app easily.

BTW, if I do a factory reset on the phone a couple questions:
    1. I assume it won't erase all my photos/videos?
    2. Does it automatically reinstall all apps that I had previously installed?
    Thx
    1. On the stock ROM/unrooted, factory reset will erase everything from the phone - your phone will be back to how it was when you got it from the store. If you want to save pictures/video, backup to google plus or dropbox or copy or even to your PC. If you installed a custom ROM, factory reset will reset your phone back to how it was when you installed the custom ROM.
    2. If you have set up the option to backup your settings to google, and choose to restore from google after factory reset, yes.
    Thanked by:
    kdonald26 likes this.

Nexus 5: Another battery drain thread...-screenshot_2014-01-28-06-07-23.jpg

Been having the same problem but with my wifi draining my battery from a full charge overnight to 30%. I closed every app I could and made sure chrome was clean out and closed.
    Running on 4.2.2 not rooted

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kdonald26 View Post
    Been having the same problem but with my wifi draining my battery from a full charge overnight to 30%. I closed every app I could and made sure chrome was clean out and closed.
    Running on 4.2.2 not rooted
    Can you tap on the WiFi in the battery usage, and see how long it kept your phone awake for? Also, tap on the graph (where it shows 7h 39m 56s) - share that screen print - it should show when your phone was awake.
    On Idle, WiFi shouldn't even show up on the battery usage unless it was downloading something in the background. You must have some wakelocks going as well (but since you aren't rooted, I guess you can't get detailed stats from BBS)

On WiFi settings, is WiFi optimization on? How is your GPS setting? Is it set to battery saver?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast