Chrome 32 for Android update for data compression feature cuts data nearly 50%

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't got the update yet that that is OTA starting today.

To turn the feature on, go to Settings, Bandwidth management , and then choose “Reduce data usage.” Turn the toggle to “On” and come back whenever you want to see how much bandwidth you save each month as you browse.

Google’s data compression first showed up in Chromium back in March 2013 and then soon after made an appearance in Chrome 26 beta for Android.

However it sounds like I have the option to turn on now from old Chrome 26 updates. On my Nexus 5 when I go to Settings>Data usage I don't see and options Reduce data usage.” So is this in the new update or am I looking in the wrong place?

Chrome Mobile gets data compression to reduce usage by 50%, app shortcuts for Android and Google Translate for iOS

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This link below tells how they do this compression by routing all your HTTP traffic data through Google servers to get the compression. (The feature is disabled for HTTPS and “Incognito” mode traffic, though). However I think it doesn't affect my Banking Apps that aren't using Chrome.

"This is concerning for some users, now more sensitive to potential privacy issues. But Google has said previously that while requests are logged, headers and cookies are stripped out, and the webpage content is cached, but not logged. Most importantly, Google says the logs are not associated with your Google account and the entire log entry is removed within six months. These details were noted in a Chrome privacy whitepaper last updated in November. "

Google Adds Optional Data Compression Feature To Chrome For Mobile, Reducing Your Data Usage By Up To 50%

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11