Nexus 5: Battery Very Inconsistent - What's the culprit?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've posted this before in a more general battery thread but got little response, so I'm trying again in its own thread. I notice my Nexus 5, under the same usage conditions, can get very inconsistent battery.

On certain days, doing the exact same routine, getting the exact same poor reception in my office, I typically get this sort of battery life (which, I think, is pretty good):

raTfJzZ.jpg

You can tell the culprit that's taxing the batteries the most is cell standby because of the weak reception in my building. All fine.

qI4p9wX.jpg

However, on certain "bad days," this is the result:

WkeSWcb.jpg

3FE7Iws.jpg

Again, this is with more or less the same reception, same routine, and with even less time off battery, yet the drainage is much faster. What gives?

You'll notice also, on one of the "bad days," I rebooted, and you can tell almost immediately that the battery drainage is leveling out in the graph after where I rebooted the phone:

oluEntg.jpg

As far as I know, I am not installing weird new apps or running apps I don't normally run on a near daily basis. Yet the battery results vary by a noticeable amount.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Very Inconsistent - What's the culprit?

I think it's Facebook and or location services. Try turning off location services and see.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I think it's Facebook and or location services. Try turning off location services and see.

I don't allow FB to run my location or to even sync (I don't use FB much so I manually sync when I open the app).

Here is my location settings:

orCJFBB.jpg

I don't ever change these settings, so it doesn't explain why on the "good days" the battery drainage is fine and minimal under the same exact location settings and why on the "bad days" the battery is suddenly draining much quicker.

For what it's worth, I also have Google Now hot word listening off, and Google Now off (just don't use it). But again, I want to stress that these settings stay the same during the "good" and "bad" battery days. This leads me to believe these aren't the variables that are causing the battery drain.

I'm pretty stumped. And this reminds me of The Verge's review where they point out that the battery is very inconsistent.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Humor me and temporarily uninstall Facebook and turn off location services. I almost guarantee you'll see the battery surge consistently.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Humor me and temporarily uninstall Facebook and turn off location services. I almost guarantee you'll see the battery surge consistently.

I'll give it a shot. When you say and Turn Off Location services, do you mean outside of Facebook? Like Yahoo Weather and Google Location Report, etc?

Also, if it is Facebook, why doesn't it show on my list of things draining the battery?

I'll report back if the "bad" day happens again without Facebook... Could take some time as it doesn't occur often (maybe once every week or two?).

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I've uninstalled Facebook.

In theory, the graph should now level out, correct? Like in the example when I rebooted...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

It should except Google services may still do some battery draining. In Settings, find location services and turn it off. See if this gives a consistently better battery. I'm pretty sure it will. Then, try turning location back on.

I think using Facebook is a tradeoff for good battery. I never got involved with fb so I just don't use it. I do have location services on, with battery saving mode.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Can you check the Google Play Services version in your apps? Is it 4.1? or pre 4.1? If pre 4.1, that may be the cause. 4.1 is being pushed out now to address unexpected battery drain like you described.
You can read more here

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Can you check the Google Play Services version in your apps? Is it 4.1? or pre 4.1? If pre 4.1, that may be the cause. 4.1 is being pushed out now to address unexpected battery drain like you described.
You can read more here

I have 4.1.32, the latest one, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

It should except Google services may still do some battery draining. In Settings, find location services and turn it off. See if this gives a consistently better battery. I'm pretty sure it will. Then, try turning location back on.

I think using Facebook is a tradeoff for good battery. I never got involved with fb so I just don't use it. I do have location services on, with battery saving mode.

I see. Thanks. Like I said, I'll give it a shot, but it still baffles me why the battery can do well on most days (the "good days") without any of these settings changing.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Exactly what I do (unless I need to use nav). FB is the downfall of society. Hey, wanna see a pic of my food? 💩

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Exactly what I do (unless I need to use nav). FB is the downfall of society. Hey, wanna see a pic of my food? 💩

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Haha! As a matter of fact, sure! It might get me in the mood to eat. :)

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Not a fan or big user of FB either myself, but it doesn't change the bizarre fact that the battery results are so inconsistent even while the Facebook settings (any settings, really) remain the same. It should mean it's not the settings, per se, causing the drain. No?

In other words, if say Facebook is the culprit, how come most days I get great battery life? Whilst once in a while, I don't? There's no indication of any particular app or condition causing the faster drain on those "bad" days. What is causing that steep drop rate in the "bad" day graph?

=T

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Possibly it's "listening" to posts from your friends? The more posts the faster the battery drains? That's my guess anyway.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I should say listening for. The apps monitor activity even when you don't have them open.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Possibly it's "listening" to posts from your friends? The more posts the faster the battery drains? That's my guess anyway.

What triggers it, though? My FB sync and location reporter are all turned off. What causes FB to start listening on those bad days, but not on the good days?

You know what I mean? I'm not trying to be contentious -- just perplexed and trying to get to the bottom of it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

What triggers it, though? My FB sync and location reporter are all turned off.

I don't know but I'm pretty sure it's doing something like that or the battery wouldn't drain. Maybe it just "wakes up" every few minutes and tries to do something.

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

every now and then an app will run rampant. I normally have excellent battery. But at some point google services w.e was killing my battery. Restart fixed it. Other day I had yelp killing my battery. Back to normal now, I usually dont have issues with fb and i use it all the time.

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

I would agree that my battery life is disappointing when FB is installed. One of there processes (katana?) is always churning in the background and loves to eat your battery. If you must use FB use it in Chrome and uninstall that POS. My .02 cents...

Two other things that you may look for...Wallet has it's own location service that looks for "local" offers and seems to keep working in the background. Tapatalk's Forum Reader also seems to like to run all the time looking for forum updates you have in your profile.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I've seen something similar to the OP, although I will say its gotten better in recent days. I have a nearly identical usage pattern with the phone, in the same areas with the same signal on a day to day basis. Some days the battery life is great, other days its not as great. It makes very little sense to me. When I look through the battery stats there isn't anything that pops up. At first it was absoultely tied into the Google Play Services that seems to be improved with the update there. It's not as drastic as it was, but I still notice some variations day to day.

What I have noticed is that a periodic update will improve the consistency, however there is still a variance day to day. I'm sure the answer lies somewhere in the nature of modern day electronics and the billions of things they do. It's not so terrible that I'm concerned about life, but it is certainly piques my curiosity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois