Nexus 5: Yet Another Signal Issue Thread

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. So long story short, I took advantage of T-Mobile's offer to pay off my VZW contract, and purchased the Nexus 5. Now, from my extensive searches all over the internet, it is pretty apparent that this phone has a lot of signal issues. Mine, however, appears to be a bit different and I haven't really come across it yet. So this is what happens:

I have pretty good signal everywhere with T-Mobile. At home, however, it's not so great (but workable). Occasionally, I go into a spot where I lose signal. The problem is, that signal never comes back. Just today, I lost signal in my elevator. I went into the car, drove to a point where I ALWAYS have full LTE, and look at my phone: No Signal, Emergency calls only. I go into the phone status menu in the device settings, and according to the DBM, I have FULL signal (yet the top right corner indicates a little lack-of-signal triangle). The only way to "reconnect" to the network is to go to mobile network > network operators and to manually select T-Mobile after it searches for networks. Then, it reconnects to the network with full signal. Again, this isn't like the other network issues that people seem to be having, where they suddenly lose signal. My radio is fine. It transitions seamlessly between 3G and LTE. The problem, however, is that sometimes, after going into a low coverage area and losing signal, I can't get it back.

Has anybody ever has this issue? I don't think it's a hardware issue, because the phone is reporting that it is receiving signal in the status menu.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Yet Another Signal Issue Thread

I haven't encountered that yet. Have you asked the folks at T-Mobile about it?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I haven't encountered that yet. Have you asked the folks at T-Mobile about it?

That's gonna be my next step. I was hoping to avoid that if possible though. Perhaps it's the Sim Card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That would probably be the best case scenario. How old is the phone? Since you got it through T-Mobile, I would imagine they'd swap it out for you if changing the SIM doesn't help.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

That would probably be the best case scenario. How old is the phone? Since you got it through T-Mobile, I would imagine they'd swap it out for you if changing the SIM doesn't help.

I got it four days ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Then definitely address this with T-Mobile soon. If you wait too long, they might give you more hassle about swapping your phone with a new one.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Here's an example:

8uzazyqe.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Out of curiosity, do you guys have "Data Roaming" checked off under the Mobile Networks settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't. I think that's only for 3G/4G mobile data, not voice.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I was just thinking about doing that. Any specific recommendations as to what I should use to clean them?

I'm not sure how well this works but I have both read and heard that the best way to clean the contacts is to use the rubber (eraser) tip of a pencil. Just remember that whatever you use, make sure you rub it lightly...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure how well this works but I have both read and heard that the best way to clean the contacts is to use the rubber (eraser) tip of a pencil. Just remember that whatever you use, make sure you rub it lightly...

On something with older contacts I totally agree as it rubs down to bare metal. However, he said he has a new one so my thought was it might just have some skin oil on it. :)

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Did you succeed into finding a way to make the signal work again ?. it's been 3 month since i have bought my nexus 5 and today i totally lost my signal and I can't find a way to bring it back...

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
i have found turning airplane mode on, then back to off, to work for me.

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk

James Raj

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I too face the same issue when I am travelling and go through areas with weak signal, it goes blank but shows full DBM signal, then I have to search networks and register manually, signal comes back, dont know why this happens, but I had recently ported out to another service provider and this issue is happening since then.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This is why I got rid of the N5, and my wife is also. The radio is terrible. This is easily as worse as any Samsuck radio we had ever used. I don't know if it is an LG issue, since they made the phone, or a software issue.

Places where my friends iPhones get signal, this phone was dead. Places where my Moto X and my son's Moto X has full bars, she was 1. When I had a N5, mine had no bars in the same places.

There is enough internet chatter to see that I am not alone, you are not either, this radio just sucks. Return it while you can. I would not recommend a N5 to anyone who needs their phone for work, health emergencies, etc. Too many times, every day, this phone has no signal, and has to be reboot to get it back.