Google Voice

Caleb Pelton

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am set to get my new Nexus 5 in the mail tomorrow. I plan to go back and forth between it and my iPhone 5 while I make the Android transition. I am wondering about Google Voice. I can find rave reviews all over the place, but nothing I have found answers some basic quesitons about the service. I have had the same number for 10 years and don't really want to start handing out a new one. But, I would like to have voicemails available no matter which device I am on. Can the full Google Voice allow me to have voicemail for both devices without handing out a new number? I hope that I am explaining that right. I read that to port my number involves cancelling contracts and all sorts of unfun stuff. My goal is to get Google Voice service, and a new number if I have to, but still be able to use my old phone number and make it work with the Google Voice voicemail. Thoughts? Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am set to get my new Nexus 5 in the mail tomorrow. I plan to go back and forth between it and my iPhone 5 while I make the Android transition. I am wondering about Google Voice. I can find rave reviews all over the place, but nothing I have found answers some basic quesitons about the service. I have had the same number for 10 years and don't really want to start handing out a new one. But, I would like to have voicemails available no matter which device I am on. Can the full Google Voice allow me to have voicemail for both devices without handing out a new number? I hope that I am explaining that right. I read that to port my number involves cancelling contracts and all sorts of unfun stuff. My goal is to get Google Voice service, and a new number if I have to, but still be able to use my old phone number and make it work with the Google Voice voicemail. Thoughts? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums and Android.
It mainly depends on your carrier. I am with Sprint, and the same number I have had for about 7 years was able to be linked with Google voice.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T. I probably should have mentioned that before. Thanks!

And I am sorry, I got distracted and didn't answer the other part of your question. Google Voice allows me to see what texts I get on my main number. Specifically, my Moto X has my main number and my Nexus 5 has my second one. I can text and even call people and they think I am using my primary number. (This you have to make the correct selections on when using Google voice to make calls)

Caleb Pelton

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
That is very encouraging! Thank you. I saw in the set up that there appears to be a Sprint specific set up, but didn't paying attention to it. Hopefully someone with AT&T has had the same experience. Thanks for your time!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is very encouraging! Thank you. I saw in the set up that there appears to be a Sprint specific set up, but didn't paying attention to it. Hopefully someone with AT&T has had the same experience. Thanks for your time!

No sweat. You may want to consider posting again in a few days in the device you are looking at on ATT. Meaning say you want the LG G2, go to that forum, in the AT&T section and post again there.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In order to view your Google Voice data (inbox, SMS, voicemail, call logs), all you need to do is install the app and sign in with your account. You can also use the mobile web interface, but it's not very advanced. Not that the app currently is either... however, having said that, the Google Voice experience on Android is about to improve majorly.

Google Voice won't be integrated into latest Hangouts update, but it's coming

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
And I am sorry, I got distracted and didn't answer the other part of your question. Google Voice allows me to see what texts I get on my main number. Specifically, my Moto X has my main number and my Nexus 5 has my second one. I can text and even call people and they think I am using my primary number. (This you have to make the correct selections on when using Google voice to make calls)
Can you clarify this? When you say main/primary number do you mean one of your cell phone numbers or your actual Google Voice number?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify this? When you say main/primary number do you mean one of your cell phone numbers or your actual Google Voice number?

Think of main as more my oldest phone number. I just got the second line late in December, so it's hardly been used yet, as I immediately connected that new phone number to Google Voice, and have made most of my calls though Google voice. That makes it look like I am calling/texting from my older number.

Sorry about the confusion.

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Think of main as more my oldest phone number. I just got the second line late in December, so it's hardly been used yet, as I immediately connected that new phone number to Google Voice, and have made most of my calls though Google voice. That makes it look like I am calling/texting from my older number.

Sorry about the confusion.
I'm still a bit confused. How do you make it look like you are texting from another number and not your google number?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused. How do you make it look like you are texting from another number and not your google number?

In that instance I think a different Texting app would need to be used. This part I am still kind of new to, and as most of the time if I am texting from my Nexus (new number) most of the time I want people to know it's me, so my preference is that it does show up as my old number.

Phone calls is a little easier to explain. When you place a call, it asks if you want to use Google voice or not.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and Lumia 520, and am on AT&T. I installed Google Voice and MetroVoice (Google Voice 3rd party app on Windows Phone 8). I have my original cell # issued with AT&T. I have my Google Voice number configured to ring my cell phone whether it be my Lumia or Nexus depending which phone has the SIM (with AT&T #) and my office number. Swapping SIM's is seamless and don't have to reconfigure anything. I use GV as my primary texting number. I usually have the SIM in my Nexus, and when the Lumia is connected to wifi, it acts like a mini-tablet. I get Google Voice texts and notifications of missed phone calls, transcription of voice messages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae