Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    This is basically a shameless plug for EvolveSMS. I've been trying different SMS apps with my N5 and hadn't really settled on one, until last week. Personally, I really liked the UI of the new Hangouts app. It's fast, smooth, minimalistic, and easy to navigate. The main downside to me was that you don't have the option for popup quick replies when texts come in. It's a feature you can live without if you don't know about it, but once I discovered some apps that had the feature, I REALLY liked it. So I tried Textra for a while, which has nice features (like the popup replies), but the UI was OK to me. It felt clunky and like there was too much going on. I've tried others (8sms, ChompSMS, etc) that either didn't have the features I wanted or I just didn't like the UI.

    One week in with Evolve, and I think I've settled on my SMS app. It's got a fantastic UI that is made specifically for KitKat (so it takes full advantage of the full screen capabilities) and has great features like the popup replies and KitKat emoji. I love it. It also has additional features you can access via in-app purchases. I haven't bought them, since they're mostly for color customization and things I don't really care about, but they're there. Also, the dev has issued at least 2 updates in the time I've been using it, so he's actively involved in making it better.

    If you're interested in it, here's the link to it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.evolve_sms
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I think it a nice looking app and I know it is a first release but I had too many issues with white screen when I'd go into the app and major lag. I had to go back to Textra it got so bad.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    This is basically a shameless plug for EvolveSMS. I've been trying different SMS apps with my N5 and hadn't really settled on one, until last week. Personally, I really liked the UI of the new Hangouts app. It's fast, smooth, minimalistic, and easy to navigate. The main downside to me was that you don't have the option for popup quick replies when texts come in. It's a feature you can live without if you don't know about it, but once I discovered some apps that had the feature, I REALLY liked it. So I tried Textra for a while, which has nice features (like the popup replies), but the UI was OK to me. It felt clunky and like there was too much going on. I've tried others (8sms, ChompSMS, etc) that either didn't have the features I wanted or I just didn't like the UI.

    One week in with Evolve, and I think I've settled on my SMS app. It's got a fantastic UI that is made specifically for KitKat (so it takes full advantage of the full screen capabilities) and has great features like the popup replies and KitKat emoji. I love it. It also has additional features you can access via in-app purchases. I haven't bought them, since they're mostly for color customization and things I don't really care about, but they're there. Also, the dev has issued at least 2 updates in the time I've been using it, so he's actively involved in making it better.

    If you're interested in it, here's the link to it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.evolve_sms
    Thought about trying this but saw some recent reviews complaining of lag and force crashes. Will wait to see if developer fixes these bugs. Personally, Textra and the N5 is the best SMS combo I've ever used.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Thought about trying this but saw some recent reviews complaining of lag and force crashes. Will wait to see if developer fixes these bugs. Personally, Textra and the N5 is the best SMS combo I've ever used.
    FWIW, the most recent update (I think it came last night) added an auto-archive feature. Basically, when I opened the app for the first time today, I got a message saying I had a lot of texts and that the amount I had could adversely affect performance. It then went through about a 10-minute archiving process. Performance for me has been great.

    Based on the wording in the auto-archive thing, it sounded like the dev was specifically addressing performance concerns.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    FWIW, the most recent update (I think it came last night) added an auto-archive feature. Basically, when I opened the app for the first time today, I got a message saying I had a lot of texts and that the amount I had could adversely affect performance. It then went through about a 10-minute archiving process. Performance for me has been great.

    Based on the wording in the auto-archive thing, it sounded like the dev was specifically addressing performance concerns.
    Cool, keep us updated. The UI does look cool.
  6. #6  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I've been using it heavily for a week, absolutely no issues. My text app of choice.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Definitely best third party SMS app. No lag what so ever and the developer is very good with updates, there has been 3 in the past few days for bug fixes.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I used the Sliding Messaging Pro for 2 years (same developer). I liked it plenty. Lots of customization options.

    I decided to try evolvesms and like it better. It feels lighter and the settings are less confusing. Give it a try.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 
    morami likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Agreed. Been using it for over a week now, no issues. Beautiful, simple, and clean. Can't ask for more.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I liked this at first, then went off it and moved back to hangouts. Trying it again and its improved over the last week and it's certainly an interesting app. It's nice to have more customisation options but sometimes I think things can get a bit complicated and a simple app can be better. However I think it's the best 3rd party sms app to date in terms of design at least so I'm gonna give it a go for a week or so to see how it goes

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Can anyone compare this to textra and 8sms?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Its a beautiful app. But it also lags like crazy to open. Once the little bugs get smoothed out, I will definitely go back.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcelmeel17 View Post
    Its a beautiful app. But it also lags like crazy to open. Once the little bugs get smoothed out, I will definitely go back.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Out of curiosity, are you running Dalvik or ART? I'm running ART, and it opens almost instantaneously on my N5. Have not noticed any lag.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I'm on Dalvik and it runs fine, no start up lag at all. I've heard the lag may have something to do with the number of texts or conversations you have. There is an archive feature included in evolve, if you have a ton and want to clean them up.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Trying it now. Really nice UI but seems rather limited in being able to customize individual notifications. Is there a way to assign different icons to specific contacts and put some contacts into a privacy box? These are basic features on other SMS apps.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Trying it now. Really nice UI but seems rather limited in being able to customize individual notifications. Is there a way to assign different icons to specific contacts and put some contacts into a privacy box? These are basic features on other SMS apps.
    What do you mean by icon? The profile picture that appears for the contact?

    And when you say privacy box is that a separate inbox? If so, what purpose does that serve? Do you use that like email folders?

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    My experience is that EvolveSMS has more customizations that most SMS apps, not less. As far as individual notifications, you can assign a custom ringtone, led color, or vibration pattern for each person in your People contacts.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    What do you mean by icon? The profile picture that appears for the contact?

    And when you say “privacy box” is that a separate inbox? If so, what purpose does that serve? Do you use that like email folders?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Most SMS apps(Handcent, Go, Textra etc.) allow you to assign a different notification icon and color for each contact. They usually come with several different icons and several different colors per icon allowing great flexibility.

    Likewise, these other apps allow you to designate certain contacts to go straight into a "secure" box requiring pattern or password to access the message while keeping the rest of your messages free.

    As I said above, the UI is really nice but the developed has a huge set on him to charge a premium price for an app with a half baked feature set. He should slap a beta tag on it until he works out the kinks and adds more features. I will be emailing to get my money back.

    EDIT: Also it seems to have issues sending MMS. Sometimes doesnt go thru at all sometimes it will send 15x to same contact. ANNOYING for a premium app.
  19. #19  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    EDIT:

    That's the nice thing about choice. If you don't like something, you can go elsewhere.

    You CAN set conversations as private. It's under the security settings page.

    You CAN set a different notifications for different people, either by ringtone, color LED or vibration code. It's under the notification settings.

    I've also had no issues with it not sending SMS or sending multiple times.
    Last edited by Gwaron; 01-20-2014 at 09:14 AM.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    That's the nice thing about choice. If you don't like something, you can go elsewhere. The major issues for you are no issues for me. So use what's best for you! But I totally disagree that the software is "half-baked". In fact, IMO it's the best SMS app available.

    I've never had an issue with it not sending an MMS, or sending multiple times. And as I mentioned earlier, you CAN set a different notification for different people, either by ringtone, color LED or vibration code.

    Different strokes for different folks.
    I hear ya, that's the beauty of Android, don't like one app, there's plenty more to choose from. So far, Textra is the best IMO, of course.
  21. #21  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I hear ya, that's the beauty of Android, don't like one app, there's plenty more to choose from. So far, Textra is the best IMO, of course.
    Sorry about the edit, we were responding at the same time.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Yeah, I think now its fully stable ^_^
  23. #23  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    I've tried to set custom notification ringtones but it keeps going back to the default tone. How did you make the assigned tone stay set?
  24. #24  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Did you hit the 'Done' checkmark after selecting the desired ringtone?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

    Does it have a quick reply?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Music Player
    By Dale_M in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 02:49 PM
  2. Relocating Apps to SD Card
    By christian729 in forum T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM
  3. Amazon App Store Issue
    By SpookDroid in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
  4. What are "Connected Apps"?
    By David Cawton in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 11:01 AM
  5. Match.com app
    By sandytf in forum Market Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions