Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I can't connect my Nexus 5 to my home WiFi, should I return it?

Morning folks,

First and foremost I'm a new Android user coming from the iPhone and I absolutely love everything about it. My one problem isn't Android; however, it's been this N5 wifi connection issue. I cannot connect to my home wifi whatsoever.

I do have unlimited data with my plan but still, the use of WiFi is obviously important. Has Google stated they are working on a fix for this?

I'm at the point of possibly returning my N5 for a different phone as much as I love everything else with this phone.

Anywho, apologies for the early morning rant. Being new to Android I'm still playing catch up and learning about the system itself so I thought I'd ask the community on this issue and its potential (hopeful?) fix.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Default Re: Do I Return It?

Does the phone connect to wifi on another router?

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Took it into Sprint last night and it connected just fine there. Its only on my home network. Additionally, all other devices in the house connect just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have you tried restarting your router? I
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yup, I've tried it all. Is this an issue Google has addressed yet? I feel like I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Thanked by:

Connecting to WiFi isn't exactly a known problem. Not sure what Google can address.

That being said what kind of security are you using on your router? WPA, wpa2, hex key? None maybe? It could be possible if you have an old router that there could be incompatibilities but hard to say. Also post which router you are using.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

At work now so I can't give the exact model off the top of my head but I do know its a Linksys router. Security is set as WPA/WPA2 PSK. Router isn't THAT old, maybe 3 years tops.

I'm not an expert but I would think it has to be something with your router. I have no issues connecting anywhere nor have I heard of any widespread problems. When you get home get your router model number and Google it with Nexus 5 to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

i havent had any problem with my Nexus 5 connecting to my at home wireless network, or any other wireless network for that matter

If you have a MAC address access list set up on the router, make sure to add the MAC address of the Nexus 5 to the list.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

@ccr, I'll look into that. Not sure exactly.

Appreciate all the help though. I'm really hoping its just the router that requires some tinkering with.

Try a factory reset. I've had my N5 for a couple months, and there was an app that I added which I suspect broke my system. I did a factory reset, and the problem went away.

It is a Google WiFi problem addressed in numerous forums. Do Google search on Nexus 5 Wifi problems and you will see you are not alone. Do not reset your device because that is worthless. What I do is turn off WiFi when it is goofy and turn it back on and let it reconnect. That addresses the issue until next time when I do a repeat. Though Google hasn't acknowledged the problem, many of us hope they address it... Or it will be a legit reason to jump ship to that other operating system. Good luck!

Backup you router's configuration (if possible) and reset it to factory settings: maybe there's something wrong with some settings.
    Also, check if both 2.4 and 5GHz are enabled in your N5's advanced WiFi settings

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by newsman787 View Post
    It is a Google WiFi problem addressed in numerous forums. Do Google search on Nexus 5 Wifi problems and you will see you are not alone. Do not reset your device because that is worthless. What I do is turn off WiFi when it is goofy and turn it back on and let it reconnect. That addresses the issue until next time when I do a repeat. Though Google hasn't acknowledged the problem, many of us hope they address it... Or it will be a legit reason to jump ship to that other operating system. Good luck!

I knew I wasn't crazy, it's been talked about on these forums as well. Unfortunately doing all the small tricks (turning phone on and off, WiFi on and off, airplane mode) doesn't work for me.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Default Re: Nexus 5: Do I Return It?

Returning to post my model number. Perhaps people know more about these things than me, as I didn't find much googling it and nexus 5.

Linksys by Cisco wireless N broadband router:
    Model WRT160N V3

Quote Originally Posted by StealthTH View Post
    Connecting to WiFi isn't exactly a known problem. Not sure what Google can address.

That being said what kind of security are you using on your router? WPA, wpa2, hex key? None maybe? It could be possible if you have an old router that there could be incompatibilities but hard to say. Also post which router you are using.

Actually it's a well documented problem here and on XDA plus Google's Product Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Daden04 View Post
    Yup, I've tried it all. Is this an issue Google has addressed yet? I feel like I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Google hasn't addressed the issue yet but they haven't addressed any of the big issues yet. I would bet they will be releasing a major fix for all of the different problems as soon as they have a fix for them. Though you should try to update your router's firmware. See if that fixes it. Seems to work for some people. Also go into Settings > WiFi > Option Button (Bottom Right) > Advanced. Uncheck "Avoid Poor Connections" and "WiFi Optimization". Then change the frequency band to 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz depending on what your router is on. If you don't know you can use trial and error. This also seems to fix for some.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Default Re: I can't connect my Nexus 5 to my home WiFi, should I return it?

Try those settings. Should fix it. It did for me

For what it's worth, I couldn't get two Nexus 5's onto either of two networks that were configured for a channel width of 40MHz. Only after setting the router for automatic channel widths could I get them to join successfully, though there may be a way to enable 40MHz channels depending on the specific channels used.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Changed my settings to the proper GHz option and unchecked everything else recommended above and still no beueno. Think I'll play with the router a bit more today but otherwise I'm all out of options.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When you add the WiFi network to your device, and click the connect option, what happens?
    ("forget" the network, and re-add it. Then, look for the messages below the WiFi network name) - it will tell you when it is authenticating, acquiring IP address, connecting. At what point does it fail? And when it fails, what message does it show?

Is your phone set up to use a static IP? or are you using the IP provided by DHCP server on the router?
    Do you have other devices connected to your router? If so, how many?

As @ccrs8 suggested, make sure your router isn't set up to filter devices based on MAC - see page 16 at
    What type of WiFi security are you using? As a test, disable wireless security on your router to see if your N5 can connect (don't forget to turn it back on after that). Is your router set up to broadcast SSID? (if not, try to broadcast it and see if that makes a difference)

Given that your phone is able to connect to other routers, I'm not sure it is a problem with your phone.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

It's something with your router. Since you have an 801.11n router you might want to take this as an opportunity to upgrade to an 802.11AC router. The Nexus 5 does really well on 802.11AC, I've benchmarked it at 270MBbits using iperf to my Linux boxes. I'm getting 160 down/65 up to the Internet (I have FIOS). I have the ASUS RT-AC66U router.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    I have the ASUS RT-AC66U router.
    It is a sweet router. Just two minor "issues" with it
    1. MAC address filtering - they could allow a name to be assigned to the MAC ID - not sure why they don't have a field for that.
    2. VPN router - only supports PPTP. Why not L2TP (more secure) also? (I knew about this issue before purchasing it, so not truly a complaint)

I'm getting similar performance BTW. I've had it only for a few weeks. Scored a sweet deal from the egg ($108)

If your router has WPS give it a try.
    Works for me when manual setup on my tablet fails.

I had the same problem on a router in our office in Malawi and also in Kenya. I gave up trying in Malawi because we had another router that it did work on. In Kenya I tried many things, with my phone, that have been stated already on this thread. I did not reset it and I did nothing with the router. It finally started working. I think what made the difference is when I went into Settings> under wireless and network setting I selected: More> then Mobile networks> Preferred network type> mine was set to world and I changed it to LTE and then turned my phone off and started it again. I don't know for sure if that solved the problem, but something that I did made it work. Good Luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast