Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    It seems like every time I record a long video, Google+ eats my battery alive! It hasn't used any of my data, which is weird, but how do I fix this? Why is it doing that?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by electronicwiz1 View Post
    It seems like every time I record a long video, Google+ eats my battery alive! It hasn't used any of my data, which is weird, but how do I fix this? Why is it doing that?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Doesn't G+ auto backup your backup your photos/videos? Have you got that on or off?

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    Doesn't G+ auto backup your backup your photos/videos? Have you got that on or off?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I just checked and auto backup is off. Its weird that it is using my battery when it is off.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    The problem is that it keeps your device awake. This is why you see the awake time so high. In order for Google's apps (maps, +, now, hangouts) to functions as they would like, they need to have running services. Otherwise, they can still work but just not they way Google wants. This is why I don't use Google plus, now or hangouts. So in short, the wake lock tied to the app is keeping the device from sleep and waking it off often causing battery use. Since I don't use it, I'm not sure if there are settings you can use to turn it off. Can you install Greenify and hibernate it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Well I sometimes use it. How can I keep it from being awake?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by electronicwiz1 View Post
    Well I sometimes use it. How can I keep it from being awake?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Hibernating it doesn't prevent you from using it. Just puts it deep sleep when you're not and stop all of its wake locks.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    What you're experiencing is why I've turned off every Google (sync) service I can, don't have an active G+ account, and have ALL location services disabled. Google's code, quite bluntly, is crap, and it'll eat your run time right up.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Hibernating it doesn't prevent you from using it. Just puts it deep sleep when you're not and stop all of its wake locks.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Oh. By the way I installed greenify and it wouldn't let me hibernate Google+?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by electronicwiz1 View Post
    Oh. By the way I installed greenify and it wouldn't let me hibernate Google+?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle. Pretty stupid that a lot of the google apps drain so much battery on idle even when sync and location is off but this is the best way to deal with it without disabling Google+. I used App Ops to turn off wake lock on Google+ but it doesn't seem to work in preventing to drain the battery on idle.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I looked and it doesn't have any location services, but it has this location sharing thing but it is off. The weird thing is Google+ doesn't use a lot of battery unless I record a video, but the auto backup thing is off. I don't get it.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle.
    Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by electronicwiz1 View Post
    Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I might try it. I will think about it. I just don't want to mess something up just in case.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  
    PicBackMan's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

    That probably is because of some backend backup process that amy be running on your Phone.

Similar Threads

  1. Is your months old N3 slowing down?
    By Madd54 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
  2. WTS: 32gb Black Google Nexus 5
    By map1978 in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
  3. HTC One: Google Play Edition ROM
    By Don164 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
  4. Battery draining?
    By Samsung888 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM
  5. no sync with google, "com.google.android.gsf.login"
    By shavit28 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

B