Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It seems like every time I record a long video, Google+ eats my battery alive! It hasn't used any of my data, which is weird, but how do I fix this? Why is it doing that?
e7ujyte9.jpg
ypehy5eb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that it keeps your device awake. This is why you see the awake time so high. In order for Google's apps (maps, +, now, hangouts) to functions as they would like, they need to have running services. Otherwise, they can still work but just not they way Google wants. This is why I don't use Google plus, now or hangouts. So in short, the wake lock tied to the app is keeping the device from sleep and waking it off often causing battery use. Since I don't use it, I'm not sure if there are settings you can use to turn it off. Can you install Greenify and hibernate it?

Posted via Android Central App

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
What you're experiencing is why I've turned off every Google (sync) service I can, don't have an active G+ account, and have ALL location services disabled. Google's code, quite bluntly, is crap, and it'll eat your run time right up.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh. By the way I installed greenify and it wouldn't let me hibernate Google+?

Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle. Pretty stupid that a lot of the google apps drain so much battery on idle even when sync and location is off but this is the best way to deal with it without disabling Google+. I used App Ops to turn off wake lock on Google+ but it doesn't seem to work in preventing to drain the battery on idle.

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

I looked and it doesn't have any location services, but it has this location sharing thing but it is off. The weird thing is Google+ doesn't use a lot of battery unless I record a video, but the auto backup thing is off. I don't get it.

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle.

Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

electronicwiz1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

I might try it. I will think about it. I just don't want to mess something up just in case.

dobberry

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that it keeps your device awake. This is why you see the awake time so high. In order for Google's apps (maps, +, now, hangouts) to functions as they would like, they need to have running services. Otherwise, they can still work but just not they way Google wants. This is why I don't use Google plus, now or hangouts. So in short, the wake lock tied to the app is keeping the device from sleep and waking it off often causing battery use. Since I don't use it, I'm not sure if there are settings you can use to turn it off. Can you install Greenify and hibernate it?

dobberry

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
(1st time for 6years.. 28aug15) (rendering jumps fairly microsoftically primated up a&down on "reply") found useful tips in here confirming my decision to temp. removal sorry of Hangouts-app. My dev is charging a little partly better now. Something online is discgarging xtra
It seems triggered to work BG services extra on the "stagefright" vulnerab.(see trendmicro).
A lot of probl maybe prevented by better software identificatons.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance