1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

It seems like every time I record a long video, Google+ eats my battery alive! It hasn't used any of my data, which is weird, but how do I fix this? Why is it doing that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Why is Google+ wasting my battery?

Quote Originally Posted by electronicwiz1 View Post
    It seems like every time I record a long video, Google+ eats my battery alive! It hasn't used any of my data, which is weird, but how do I fix this? Why is it doing that?

Doesn't G+ auto backup your backup your photos/videos? Have you got that on or off?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    Doesn't G+ auto backup your backup your photos/videos? Have you got that on or off?

I just checked and auto backup is off. Its weird that it is using my battery when it is off.

The problem is that it keeps your device awake. This is why you see the awake time so high. In order for Google's apps (maps, +, now, hangouts) to functions as they would like, they need to have running services. Otherwise, they can still work but just not they way Google wants. This is why I don't use Google plus, now or hangouts. So in short, the wake lock tied to the app is keeping the device from sleep and waking it off often causing battery use. Since I don't use it, I'm not sure if there are settings you can use to turn it off. Can you install Greenify and hibernate it?

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well I sometimes use it. How can I keep it from being awake?

Well I sometimes use it. How can I keep it from being awake?

Hibernating it doesn't prevent you from using it. Just puts it deep sleep when you're not and stop all of its wake locks.

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

What you're experiencing is why I've turned off every Google (sync) service I can, don't have an active G+ account, and have ALL location services disabled. Google's code, quite bluntly, is crap, and it'll eat your run time right up.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Hibernating it doesn't prevent you from using it. Just puts it deep sleep when you're not and stop all of its wake locks.

Oh. By the way I installed greenify and it wouldn't let me hibernate Google+?

Oh. By the way I installed greenify and it wouldn't let me hibernate Google+?

Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle. Pretty stupid that a lot of the google apps drain so much battery on idle even when sync and location is off but this is the best way to deal with it without disabling Google+. I used App Ops to turn off wake lock on Google+ but it doesn't seem to work in preventing to drain the battery on idle.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hmmmmmm yeah I figured it wouldnt be allowed. Maybe check if any location services are on for the app. Other than that not sure since I don't use the app. Good luck.

I looked and it doesn't have any location services, but it has this location sharing thing but it is off. The weird thing is Google+ doesn't use a lot of battery unless I record a video, but the auto backup thing is off. I don't get it.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    The "donation" version of Greenify will allow you to put system apps like Google+ to sleep. This really helped in conversing battery life as I also had Google+ drain my battery when it's idle.
    Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

Well actually I found out how to make it go to sleep with it, but it says it's a bad idea and that it could mess things up. I didn't do it.

Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Lol. They just say that to make you paranoid so you won't do it. You can always undo to. I say just try it for a while and if there are stability issues, remove it from the hibernate list. There's no harm is trying really. But again, good luck.

I might try it. I will think about it. I just don't want to mess something up just in case.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

That probably is because of some backend backup process that amy be running on your Phone.