Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 3 Post By ultravisitor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Visual Voicemail

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm curious to know if there is any way I can access visual voicemail on my nexus 5 - would it be in the dialer, through a certain app etc. I was using it on my iPhone prior to getting the nexus 5 and really miss it.

    Thanks.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    npark2012's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I'm curious to know if there is any way I can access visual voicemail on my nexus 5 - would it be in the dialer, through a certain app etc. I was using it on my iPhone prior to getting the nexus 5 and really miss it.

    Thanks.

    Posted via Android Central App
    What company are you with?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    This is AT&T

    T Mobile

    Metro PCS

    Verizon wants some extra money but they won't allow the Nexus 5 anyway.

    I'm not sure what is going on with spint but there are others looking for it here.
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 01-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    We can thank Patent Issues for all the issues with visual voicemail where this became an Network service provider App.

    In August 2011, a patent was granted to Apple for "Voicemail manager for portable multifunction device"[2]

    Klausner Technologies Inc. of Sagaponack, NY[3] claims a patent to Visual Voicemail, named *Telephone answering device linking displayed data with recorded audio message*[4] and has brought dozens of lawsuits against Apple, Callware, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, MetroPCS, Digium, Schmooze Com Inc and others for patent violations.

    Some of these cases have settled, but many defendants claim "prior art" or an "obvious" technological evolution, because non-sequential or random access to messages has been offered since at least 1993 by Wang, AT&T, Novell and other 3rd parties.[5]
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  
    npark2012's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    I'm not entirely sure if it's just with me but if you're on tmobile it seems the visual voicemail for Nexus 5 is not yet compatible.
  6. #6  
    jtb79's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    The AT&T app isn't compatible...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Thanks for all your help! Since I am in Australia I was mostly wondering if there was a way to get it in the dialer or from a universal app - it doesn't seem that I can get it then...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    To the OP, no, there's no visual voicemail built into the OS. The only way you can get it on your phone is through apps. As you've seen from this thread already, there are carrier-specific apps (not sure if your specific carrier in Australia will have an app), but there are alternatives too. I used HulloMail for a while, and that was a decent app. Currently using Visual Voicemail Plus - it has more features than Hullo, though an inferior UI, in my opinion. From what I've looked at, those two are the best free options out there.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    To the OP, no, there's no visual voicemail built into the OS. The only way you can get it on your phone is through apps. As you've seen from this thread already, there are carrier-specific apps (not sure if your specific carrier in Australia will have an app), but there are alternatives too. I used HulloMail for a while, and that was a decent app. Currently using Visual Voicemail Plus - it has more features than Hullo, though an inferior UI, in my opinion. From what I've looked at, those two are the best free options out there.
    Thanks! My carrier doesn't have an app but I will definitely try out those two.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    T-Mobile visual voicemail isn't compatible with the Nexus 5. I'm not sure what is taking them so long..
  11. #11  

    Default

    I'm on T-Mobile and visual voicemail works on my 5!

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    This is AT&T

    T Mobile

    Metro PCS

    Verizon wants some extra money but they won't allow the Nexus 5 anyway.

    I'm not sure what is going on with spint but there are others looking for it here.
    All of those in the Play Store are incompatible with the Nexus 5.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  13. #13  
    Ess_78201's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by only1canoli View Post
    I'm on T-Mobile and visual voicemail works on my 5!

    Posted via Android Central App
    How so? The link says it's incompatible still.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default

    No idea, works fine for me. App Version is 3.5.2.1


    Looks like I have a old version.


    Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by only1canoli; 01-19-2014 at 09:49 AM.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Here is another post

    T-Mobile Visual Voicemail

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    I use Google Voice. Go to their website and follow their instructions in Settings.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by 2:
    numb3rmonkey likes this.
  17. #17  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Strongly second the Google Voice recommendation. I've been using it for a couple years now and getting your voicemails e-mailed to you is pretty awesome. I don't ever call a number to read voicemails or require a separate app, and currently, that's all I use Google Voice for. It just hangs out and requires no interaction from me and I get an e-mail and a notification on device when I get a voicemail, with the transcript.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by:
    numb3rmonkey likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Strongly second the Google Voice recommendation. I've been using it for a couple years now and getting your voicemails e-mailed to you is pretty awesome. I don't ever call a number to read voicemails or require a separate app, and currently, that's all I use Google Voice for. It just hangs out and requires no interaction from me and I get an e-mail and a notification on device when I get a voicemail, with the transcript.
    Does this require a second phone number or porting or anything? Or does it work with your existing number, provided by your carrier?

    I've known Google Voice is out there, but it just seems complicated to me.

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Does this require a second phone number or porting or anything? Or does it work with your existing number, provided by your carrier?

    I've known Google Voice is out there, but it just seems complicated to me.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I think that you have to get a Google number and forward your voicemail to it, but you do not have to port your number and it does work with your carrier number. For example, I have verizon, if you call my Verizon number or Google number, my phone rings, but if you go to voicemail, both numbers send you to my Google voicemail box and it is transparent to me which one you called. It took a little effort to set up, but it is not too difficult at all.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  20. #20  
    drewpydog's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    ATT visual voicemail app works just fine on my N5.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    For example, I have verizon, if you call my Verizon number or Google number, my phone rings, but if you go to voicemail, both numbers send you to my Google voicemail box and it is transparent to me which one you called. It took a little effort to set up, but it is not too difficult at all.
    It is also transparent to the caller. The caller will never know that he or she was transferred to your Google Voice inbox. You never have to give out your Google Voice number.
    Thanked by 2:
  22. #22  
    numb3rmonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Does this require a second phone number or porting or anything? Or does it work with your existing number, provided by your carrier?

    I've known Google Voice is out there, but it just seems complicated to me.

    Posted via Android Central App
    There are two Google Voice options:

    1. Google Voice: New Number; Port your number; or full integration (Sprint Only).

    2. Google Voice "Lite": Voicemail only; Use your existing carrier number; Does not require a new number; You can view and play voicemails from inside the call log.

    Also, with Google Voice Lite, if you have an existing Google Voice number you can still use your mobile number for voicemail only while your Google Voice number still has full access and features to the Google Voice app. This works well for people that use two numbers e.g. Google Voice for business, random strangers, a one night stand, etc.; Existing mobile number for personal use.

    See here:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    I use HulloMail from the play store.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  24. #24  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Visual Voicemail

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    It is also transparent to the caller. The caller will never know that he or she was transferred to your Google Voice inbox. You never have to give out your Google Voice number.
    My recorded message is the default and it mentions Google, but they don't have to wait and they never get another message, etc. It totally rocks.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Similar Threads

  1. No, I don't want Visual Voice Mail. How to stop pop up?
    By N2myN2 in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 03:07 PM
  2. Voicemail Notification
    By acostapimps in forum AT&T Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 03:05 AM
  3. voicemail notification
    By northernbound in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
  4. Sms/ voicemail message logo is gone
    By VincentWiegers in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
  5. Cant play voicemail in car after update
    By gonflyn in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

B