Is there a way to keep LTE during a phone call?

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if is the phone or Sprint, but there's any way to keep LTE on while on a phone call. I know my galaxy 1 and my IPhone 5s the LTE stay on during phone calls.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: LTE during phone call

I don't know if is the phone or Sprint, but there's any way to keep LTE on while on a phone call. I know my galaxy 1 and my IPhone 5s the LTE stay on during phone calls.

I believe it is related to the carrier - Most just use 3G for voice but LTE for data. Also, if all the phones are on the same carrier, they also would be using 3G for voice - they just don't show it in the status bar.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I was on a phone call earlier and I was trying to get to my email to no avail then I try the Internet and I got the message no Internet connection. When I got home I tried again with wifi and I was able to get to my email during the phone call.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

No triband LTE phone on sprint will do simultaneous voice and data unless it's on wifi (this includes the LG G2, samsung s4 mini as well as the n5). Some design limitation having that many bands going for LTE.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Its a sprint switch back issue. Usually a phone with LTE parks in both LTE and 3G. 1 for internet, the other for SMS, calls. Because the way this phone is designed and an issue with the way sprint handles LTE it can't do both at the same time. Idk if a software update from sprint can fix it, or if we are Sol. Eventually though with voice over LTE this might be remedied

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Must be the phone cause the iPhone 5s did that just fine, well not a deal breaker but annoying

The iphone 5s while not a triband phone, the 5s will not do voice and data over 3g or 4g on sprint's network... Welcome to Sprint. the last phones that did voice and data are the Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC One.

Jayq330

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

It's the snapdragon 600/800, these soc's can't use dial modems like the snapdragon 400 soc because all major networks are already using up the modems on dual lte band some on 700mhz LTE & aws 1700/2100 LTE *Verizon, T-Mobile & at&t... then sprint uses them for their spark lte that uses 3 LTE bands. I'm sure that snapdragon could of done something to make it work with 3G voice but didn't. Either way the benefit to all this is that it pushes the networks to go full on lte sooner than later where VoIP would be used, then the 2G & 3G bands can be used for 4G instead of only voice.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

hey you know about the Circuit Switched Fallback issue right?

Nexus 5 and LG G2 experience temporary Sprint LTE connectivity issues due to Circuit Switched Fallback technology

]Sprint Triband LTE phones dropped SVLTE for eCSFB/CSFB

"..Up until these new Triband devices, previous Sprint LTE devices supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously.

In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be.

S4GRU was told by a source this past summer that Sprint and the OEM’s came to the conclusion that these new Triband LTE devices could not use SVLTE in the conventional way they used to, and it would require a lot of engineering, testing and cost to even attempt such a design change. It was decided to release Triband LTE devices without SVLTE. It may seem that the only drawback for doing that is Sprint Triband LTE devices would not be able to run simultaneous LTE data while on a phone call or when actively transmitting a text. But there is another. And it’s why many early adopters of these new Triband LTE smartphones no longer are being able to connect to Sprint LTE in many places that they used to.

How it works

In previous Sprint LTE phones, when a device was in Sprint LTE coverage it would park in both the LTE and CDMA Sprint networks at the same time. When a voice call came in, it would just go straight through to the device. And signal to the LTE network would be maintained the whole time while the call was active.

In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE.

Here is how it works in the simplest way I can describe. When your Triband LTE device has an LTE signal, it cannot receive or make calls on its own. It is just using LTE data happily. However, what if someone calls you? How does it get through the CDMA network to your device? Via CSFB.

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If you receive a text, the Sprint network is able to route it to your device via LTE.

Circuit Switched Fallback is a great solution to the issue of Sprint Triband LTE smartphones. But the problem here is that the Sprint network is being upgraded in Network Vision, and not all Sprint parts of the Sprint network can currently support CSFB. And it affects all Sprint Triband LTE phones, not just the Nexus 5 and LG G2..."

i had a suspicion that, because of the csfb issue, (& after reading that link) when i recieved incoming calls my phone app would freeze, it could have been tied to how the nexus 5 tries to switch over & gets tied on being already on lte only.. when i switched it to 3g, the problem went away..

i suggested not long ago in another thread here that the person

"..try this on the nexus 5; in **mobile network settings** select **system select** & switch it from **home network** to **automatic**

see if this fixes the phone app ailment.."

even though my issue was on a cdma network, & his was gsm related, the i was wondering if the same thing applied, my suggestion to the person in the other thread was a shot in the dark, it may work, may not.. it was a fix for me, w/o lte.. but lately since 3 months, srint must have fixed *something* because i can set it to lte, & imcoming calls won't stall the phone app..

but back the the point of the topic, with e-csfb, csfb, -

"..Up until these new Triband devices, previous Sprint LTE devices supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously.

In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be..."
- from the same link..

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
No iPhone can use LTE while on a phone call. That's why I use Hangouts or FaceTime Audio to make all of my calls, since I'm on Verizon and don't get any type of data on a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay