Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 5: 13+ hours of battery

    so today was my first day of real world use with my new Nexus 5 and it gave me 13+ hours of battery... in your own experience does this sound about right or will my battery start dying quicker. just a little more info i have all the same apps i had on my Nexus 4 and used daily and only got about 7.5 hours on that. as you could tell im thrilled if things stay like this.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-21-2014 at 10:23 PM.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Troothdotcom View Post
    so today was my first day of real world use with my new Nexus 5 and it gave me 13+ hours of battery... in your own experience does this sound about right or will my battery start dying quicker. just a little more info i have all the same apps i had on my Nexus 4 and used daily and only got about 7.5 hours on that. as you could tell im thrilled if things stay like this.
    Depends on how you use it. It should be pretty consistent as long as your usage patterns stays the same or similar.
    After a few months the battery will start to deplete because of all the charge cycles, but for now I'd expect around that or better while the OS and battery "settle in"
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. #3  
    jtb79's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    That's about what I get with above average usage. I have no problem getting thru a day, especially since I flashed the cataclysm ROM. It really seemed to make a difference for whatever reason.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by jtb79 View Post
    That's about what I get with above average usage. I have no problem getting thru a day, especially since I flashed the cataclysm ROM. It really seemed to make a difference for whatever reason.

    Posted via Android Central App
    The kernels in custom ROMs are usually a lot better than what Google gives.
    Improves idle time significantly in some cases
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    If today's Super Phones can't give you at least 12 hours they need to get their act together.

    Very happy with my nexus 5!
    ChuckG73 and djr7572 like this.
  6. #6  
    sheppy1's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    My nexus 5 gives me just over that every single day and I have everything turned on including Bluetooth for most of the day too. I also send lots of texts and make around 2 hours of calls. Very impressed as my iPhone 5 lasted only 7 hours with the same usage!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    My nexus has given me terrible battery life the last couple of days with average usage... So I switched to cyanogenmod. Will see how it works out.

    Yesterday's battery usage: 100% to 14% in 6hrs 1min.





    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    I carry a portable charger... I think that says everything

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    That's pretty typical for me. I normally get at least 15 hours out of mine. I've gone over 30 hours multiple times.
  10. #10  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,751 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Battery will definitely start to settle in. Stock, there's not much to push in terms of squeezing out more battery life aside from adjust sync, screen brightness, etc. The big improvement comes from being rooted and installing a Kernel developed with battery life in mind.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Hey guys I wanted to post an update regarding my battery life issues... I installed CM11 and started fresh... I have all of my apps reinstalled and used my phone no differently than average

    Here are the results



    That's right! 91% after 6.5hrs!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    srkmagnus likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Best way to extend battery is root the phone and use few apps such as greenify, baytery doctor. And you are looking at about 20+ hours off full charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by ankit717 View Post
    Best way to extend battery is root the phone and use few apps such as greenify, baytery doctor. And you are looking at about 20+ hours off full charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I think flashing a different kernel is better for battery. Idle drain improves a lot, that's what makes the biggest difference aside from changing screen brightness

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  14. #14  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,751 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
    Hey guys I wanted to post an update regarding my battery life issues... I installed CM11 and started fresh... I have all of my apps reinstalled and used my phone no differently than average

    Here are the results



    That's right! 91% after 6.5hrs!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Cool. Looks like he clean install helped. What's your screen on time?

    If you are happy and see the improvement then that's what matters most. :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
    Hey guys I wanted to post an update regarding my battery life issues... I installed CM11 and started fresh... I have all of my apps reinstalled and used my phone no differently than average

    Here are the results



    That's right! 91% after 6.5hrs!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    It looks like you had data off.. I'm also curious what is your screen on time?

    I am curious about the battery when using the functions of the phone versus turning it all off .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    when I took that screen shot I accidentally shut off data moments before
  17. #17  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    I am using my N5 as per normal and I am getting 15 hours with 50% battery charge remaining. That's calls, texts, email, facebook, G+, snapchat, playstation app, location on, art enabled, the list goes on. Very happy with battery life.
    ChuckG73 likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
    when I took that screen shot I accidentally shut off data moments before
    Well.. What's the screen on time?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    I still don't really understand the fuss about battery life...
    i mean, i took this screenshot yesterday, after a normal work day : i phoned 5 times, i played ridiculous fishing, watched 9gag on the loo, etc... and see the result when going home : still more then 70% available battery
    Nexus 5: 13+ hours of battery-screenshot_2014-01-23-21-23-14.jpg
    what do you people do with your phone?

    Details: the screen is always set to max brightness, so no cheating here, and the location settings to precision, so no cheat either...
    Only tip, i disabled 4G, given that not only is the coverage a bit crappy in my region, but 3G is always fast enough so i don't have to wait for nothing either video or photo... so i don't see the point in 4G...
  20. #20  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by bagou01 View Post
    I still don't really understand the fuss about battery life...
    i mean, i took this screenshot yesterday, after a normal work day : i phoned 5 times, i played ridiculous fishing, watched 9gag on the loo, etc... and see the result when going home : still more then 70% available battery
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-23-21-23-14.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	101936
    what do you people do with your phone?

    Details: the screen is always set to max brightness, so no cheating here, and the location settings to precision, so no cheat either...
    Only tip, i disabled 4G, given that not only is the coverage a bit crappy in my region, but 3G is always fast enough so i don't have to wait for nothing either video or photo... so i don't see the point in 4G...
    How much screen time is that? I'm guessing less than an hour
    I don't worry too much about battery but it should be able to get me through a full day, with more than 4 hours of screen time. Mine does a lot better than that

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  21. #21  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    P
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    How much screen time is that? I'm guessing less than an hour
    I don't worry too much about battery but it should be able to get me through a full day, with more than 4 hours of screen time. Mine does a lot better than that

    Posted via Android Central App
    According to the screenshot, about 2 hrs, 45 min. And a little over an hour playing the game.
  22. #22  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    P

    According to the screenshot, about 2 hrs, 45 min. And a little over an hour playing the game.
    What makes you say that? The percentage of battery that has been used?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  23. #23  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What makes you say that? The percentage of battery that has been used?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I was pretty good at math.....
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  24. #24  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I was pretty good at math.....
    Yeah, but that isn't accurate. My phone is currently at 19 hours on this charge. My screen has used up 67% of the battery. I assure you I am nowhere near 12 hours of screen time.
    You can't just multiply the percentage and the amount of time the phone has been running...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  25. #25  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: 13+ hours of battery

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, but that isn't accurate. My phone is currently at 19 hours on this charge. My screen has used up 67% of the battery. I assure you I am nowhere near 12 hours of screen time.
    You can't just multiply the percentage and the amount of time the phone has been running...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. When I've checked, it's usually been pretty close, but it may be how I use my phone. Thx for the edumacation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung S3 external battery charger.
    By Ruben Gillette in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 03:19 AM
  2. are battery saving apps good for nexus 7?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
  3. cant turn bass of for internal spraker
    By Samir_Delic in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
  4. Google now battery drain?
    By mgloss in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
  5. How to I get rid of this popup?
    By DaRoni in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

B