Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By trekk
  • 1 Post By Ftspyder
  • 1 Post By jquick21
  • 1 Post By yfan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: owner satisfaction?

im looking to replace my note 3 with a nexus 5. i can't put up with touchwiz any longer. how are you guys who have had one for a while liking it? Any issue to be on the look out for?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-25-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Global Posts
    20,738 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: owner satisfaction?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    im looking to replace my note 3 with a nexus 5. i can't put up with touchwiz any longer. how are you guys who have had one for a while liking it? Any issue to be on the look out for?
    Aside from cell signal (I am with Sprint, and I think the radios in the phone are not proper for the coverage in my area yet) I like the device. Like you, I have grown a distaste for TW, and prefer the stock Android version. I love the screen, the whites are nearly pure white, and the images are pretty sharp.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    LOVE it! (moved from S4 to N5)
    Issues: too awesome...

Well, in all seriousness, I've heard of three issues - two of which were addressed in recent revisions
    1. Power button would rattle a bit because it was loose (I had/have this issue, but since I don't usually wave my phone around a lot, it doesn't bother me) - supposedly fixed with recent N5s that are selling
    2. Speaker volume was a little low - supposedly addressed with recent N5s that are selling
    3. Vibration motor could use a little more oomph - I don't know if this has been fixed

Note that not everyone has these issues.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Excellent device overall, my only gripe is battery life. It's not that it's bad it's just not great.
    Highland Droid likes this.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

My biggest gripe is cell signal. The radios are simply pretty weak in this phone. I love everything else about the phone though.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

My understanding is that the Note 3 is technically a better all around phone. More features, better battery, camera, etc.

That said, I love my Nexus 5 and when you factor the cost in, it becomes a particularly compelling option. Are the advantages of the Note 3 (and dealing with Touchwiz) worth an additional $300?

For me, the answer was (and still is) no.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Coming from an iphone 5s....and im a lover of iOS, the Nexus 5 has impressed me greatly! I like the flexibility of android and the clean look of stock android. I too detest touch wiz and i refuse to purchase a samsung phone. I also like the size of the Nexus 5, a 5 inch phone that doesnt seem massive.
    Thanked by:
    Shilohcane likes this.

It's a phenomenal phone. Being a moderate (and not super-heavy) phone user, the battery is never an issue for me. Reception has been very good on T-Mobile in the Silicon Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    LOVE it! (moved from S4 to N5)
    Issues: too awesome...

Well, in all seriousness, I've heard of three issues - two of which were addressed in recent revisions
    [LIST=1][*]Power button would rattle a bit because it was loose (I had/have this issue.
    I have seen some threads about the power button and even the volume rocker being loose or having some play in it. Let me tell you that no one should concern themselves with this unless the power button is falling off. My brand new iPad Air and Mini both have volume controls and power buttons that have a little play in them and people rave bout Apple's build quality. So I would say, don't stress about it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    Thanked by:

I had the S3 before and I think the radio signals on this are better. Samsung isn't known for strong radio signal. The ONLY complaint I have, is the video recording in less than pristine lighting is ATROCIOUS. Like it is the worst i've ever had. My Bionic took better video. But if the lighting is perfect, it's good enough. I am happy with the still shots that the camera can produce however.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    Let me tell you that no one should concern themselves with this unless the power button is falling off. My brand new iPad Air and Mini both have volume controls and power buttons that have a little play in them and people rave bout Apple's build quality. So I would say, don't stress about it.
    While I am not too bothered by it, I can see why folks would not be ok with that rattle. (just because it happens in another device doesn't really make it ok). Google agrees with that, which is why they fixed it soon after it was released. Again, you (and I) may be ok with it - but not everyone has to be ok with it. There are perfectionists out there

LOVE IT. sold my S4 and the One sits on the shelf. No signal issues with AT&T. Camera update fixed the issues with the camera although the UI sucks royally. Battery life is stellar, especially on stand by. Only complaint is lack of any decent cases.

I like my N5, too! I think it's a great phone with no evident shortcomings. Even the speaker volume is decent, after the latest software update; that was the only flaw of this phone IMHO.
    I only blame Google for the auto brightness levels: the screen is always too bright indoors; luckily I found a flashable zip that lowers these levels: now this phone seems the perfect one for me.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by p g p View Post
    I like my N5, too! I think it's a great phone with no evident shortcomings. Even the speaker volume is decent, after the latest software update; that was the only flaw of this phone IMHO.
    I only blame Google for the auto brightness levels: the screen is always too bright indoors; luckily I found a flashable zip that lowers these levels: now this phone seems the perfect one for me.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
    This phone is crazy bright. I dont mess with the auto and just leave it down around 20% and have no problems indoors or out.

Global Posts
    8,432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I got my Nexus 5 at launch and came from a Epic 4g touch on Sprint. Aside from the obvious device upgrade, I have no regrets leaving Touchwiz. Haven't been much of a fan of it, and often installed CM or Nova Launcher when I had the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I just got mine today and have not experienced any buttons loose at all. might be the January model that they fixed it on. totally satisfied with the phone so far. extremely fast also.

srkmagnus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jquick21 View Post
    I just got mine today and have not experienced any buttons loose at all. might be the January model that they fixed it on. totally satisfied with the phone so far. extremely fast also.

Sounds like they may have tightened things up a bit. That's good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Default Re: Nexus 5: owner satisfaction?

Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I had an iPhone 5 then a Galaxy S4 and now a Nexus 5 and I think it may be my favorite. The iPhone 5 would be a close second.

I'm completely satisfied with my N5. It's a solid device with a really smooth OS.

No regrets at all on the purchase.

I'm about an 8 out of 10 in satisfaction. One downer is some random battery drain that I can't explain. At my office with poor cell reception, at times the battery level is rock solid, and drains very little. Other times, it'll sink like a rock. Then, once in a while, my wifi will not connect to at work. I go wifi, tap the name of my work wifi, and it says "saved". It won't connect. I have my Lumia 520 with me at work also, and it is practically flawless with regards to wifi connection. Overall, the N5 is a very good phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Magm View Post
    Then, once in a while, my wifi will not connect to at work. I go wifi, tap the name of my work wifi, and it says "saved". It won't connect. I have my Lumia 520 with me at work also, and it is practically flawless with regards to wifi connection. Overall, the N5 is a very good phone.
    Noticed this same issue with my Nexus 5 on both 5ghz and 2.4. Also noticed on the 5ghz that it once connecting to it it doesn't always work or will stop working until I reconnect or just fall back to 2.4.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

I have never used a Touchwhiz device - been a Nexus user since the days of the Nexus S. But the difference between the Nexus 5 and all the other Nexus phones that preceded it is that it is a true flagship device. No compromises, no holdbacks, no cutting corners. This is a $350 phone (or $400 if you're getting the 32 GB version) that competes in every way - and beats in most cases - flagships that cost $600-$800. The Nexus 5 is:

• Fast: The hardware is superb, and Project Butter makes Android just that, butter. Response time? What response time? The phone is crazy fast.
    • Light: Not only because it's only 130 grams, but the experience is light. There's no bloatware. Google services are optimized to the t. It comes with essential software and services, but without bloat to slow you down.
    • Stylish: Put it down on a table with a bunch of iPhones and Android flagships, and your phone will get compliments. Tip: use it naked if you can. Show it off.
    • Dazzling: The display is amazing. I didn't think I'd notice the difference between a 720p (Nexus 4) and a 1080p display. Boy was I wrong! The screen is just as amicable to reading as it is to playing a HD movie.
    • Google-enhanced: the new dialer (an N5 exclusive) is phenomenal. I have limited minutes (I'm on the 100 minute, 5Gb plan on T-mobile prepaid), and integrated caller ID for businesses I don't have in my contacts is a lifesaver. Now I know exactly what business is calling and if I need to get it. Second, it's uncanny how good the Nexus 5 (and the N4) is at recognizing voice. Whether using OK Google for a search or texting someone with Voice, speech-to-text is nearly flawless. Add Maps, Gmail, and other Google enhancements with it and this is your perfect phone if you use Google services a lot.
    • The best value you will find for your dollar: I don't think that needs any further explanation.
    B. Diddy likes this.