Nexus 5 won't turn on

Aason Ong

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi, today is only the 2nd day I have my Nexus 5, and earlier on today, the phone was at 50-60% battery life then it shut off suddenly after a call and wouldn't turn on afterwards. I tried plugging it into the charger provided and what I got was just Google logo flashing for about 1-2 second with a light vibration and afterwards, it shuts off. This goes on as long as the phone is plugged onto the charger, I tried going into boot-load mode (with the charger on) using Vol down + Power button, what happens is that it will show boot-load screen and right about 1 or 2 seconds after that, the phone just power off right away and it goes into the same google logo flashing-vibrating-turn off thing. My phone is from Hong Kong actually since I'm living in Singapore and currently, Singapore doesn't provide any single support for Nexus 5 at all. Does anyone face any similar problem? I'm trying to get support from the shop I bought the phone from and I'm still waiting for their reply, just trying to post here to see if anyone face the same problem as before or am I the only one?

Thanks.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, today is only the 2nd day I have my Nexus 5, and earlier on today, the phone was at 50-60% battery life then it shut off suddenly after a call and wouldn't turn on afterwards. I tried plugging it into the charger provided and what I got was just Google logo flashing for about 1-2 second with a light vibration and afterwards, it shuts off. This goes on as long as the phone is plugged onto the charger, I tried going into boot-load mode (with the charger on) using Vol down + Power button, what happens is that it will show boot-load screen and right about 1 or 2 seconds after that, the phone just power off right away and it goes into the same google logo flashing-vibrating-turn off thing. My phone is from Hong Kong actually since I'm living in Singapore and currently, Singapore doesn't provide any single support for Nexus 5 at all. Does anyone face any similar problem? I'm trying to get support from the shop I bought the phone from and I'm still waiting for their reply, just trying to post here to see if anyone face the same problem as before or am I the only one?

Thanks.
wooopsss you've ran onto a tough problem but i must say that this problem is specific to you and need technical attention !!

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a defective phone to me. Definitely not normal behavior. I'd ask the shop you bought it from for a replacement. Otherwise, I don't know what options you have.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, did you manage to fix this problem? I have just encountered the exact same problem with my nexus 5
Thanks

Is yours about as new as the OP's? If so, they must be from the same bad batch. Good luck to you guys with this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Aason Ong

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi, request for a RMA and send it back, it's probably a faulty set, they didn't charge me anything for it but it took really awhile before I receive it back

pat12321

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I rang google play support and they said they will replace it with a new one. They will send the new one to me and then I'm to send the old one back.

Josh Pauls

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. It started last night after 2 months of it working fine.
I bought it from a 3rd party store in the UK (mobile phones direct), should i contact Google or the store i bought it from?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. It started last night after 2 months of it working fine.
I bought it from a 3rd party store in the UK (mobile phones direct), should i contact Google or the store i bought it from?

Welcome to Android Central! Try the steps here first: https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/3337561?hl=en

If you're still having problems, you can contact Google for more support advice, but if you ultimately need to return or exchange it, you will probably be told to go through the seller, not Google.

Josh Pauls

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try the steps here first: https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/3337561?hl=en

If you're still having problems, you can contact Google for more support advice, but if you ultimately need to return or exchange it, you will probably be told to go through the seller, not Google.

I contacted the seller and eventually ordered a replacement through my insurance due to come tomorrow, but 10 minutes ago my phone just started working fine!

So typical. I want to keep the phone I have already because of everything I have on it but I'm worried it will do it again.

Is there any way to get everything from my phone now onto the new one coming tomorrow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're rooted, most people would recommend Titanium Backup. If you don't want to root, you could use Helium. I don't have direct experience with either, but always hear good things about them.

If you don't have a lot of photos, videos, or music stored locally, then you probably don't have to deal with the above apps anyway. Go to Settings>Backup & reset, and make sure you've checked the options to backup your data to Google, and to automatically restore data. When you log in to the new phone with your Google account, a lot of your apps should automatically install, along with their data. The tricky thing is that it's not entirely clear which apps can backup data to your Google account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Read the first post in the thread.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
wooopsss you've ran onto a tough problem but i must say that this problem is specific to you and need technical attention !!

You might have a defective flash or nand chip (internal storage) did you root or flash any roms? If you flashed the wrong rom it will boot loop like that what you need to do is go into recovery mode and see if you can factory reset if you manage to rest and everything comes back take note of the apps you install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Kunal Trivedi

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having the same problem,my nexus 5 doesn't show any signs of charging nor it gets switched on for the last two days....
my uncle had purchsed it from play store in U.S.A and gifted me although i live in India...
Completely have no idea ,what to do now as international warranty is also not applicable here,in India

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having the same problem,my nexus 5 doesn't show any signs of charging nor it gets switched on for the last two days....
my uncle had purchsed it from play store in U.S.A and gifted me although i live in India...
Completely have no idea ,what to do now as international warranty is also not applicable here,in India

Send it back to your uncle and have him send it to Google for warranty or have him call google for a replacement and while it's being shipped ship yours to him so he can ship the defective unit back and he can send you the replacement???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez