Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Erick Newman
  • 2 Post By jtb79
  • 3 Post By hooksy7
  • 1 Post By jtb79
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default Who here has moved from a Note 3 to a N5

Currently have a Note 3. I love the phone, but since getting a N7, I am wanting a more reasonably sized phone. I used the note 3 as my phone and tablet before, and it filled that role nicely.
    Since I was given an N7 for the holidays, I find myself wanting a smaller phone, and a more pure android experience. Just curious if anyone has moved specifically from this device to the N5, thoughts, Pros, Cons, etc. I played with the N5 for a bit, and really liked the overall feel of the phone.

Default Re: Who here has moved from a Note 3 to a N5

I had a note 3 for about 2 months before switch to the Nexus 5 and honestly the only thing I miss is multi window and uhm the battery life

Posted via Android Central App
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I made the switch. In really liked the idea of the note and used the s-pen and s-noted frequently. In the end I just felt like the size of the nexus 5 and lack of touchwiz suited me better. I'm happy with my decision.

I really don't miss much from the Note 3. I installed Cataclysm and am getting outstanding battery life.

Thanked by:
    sMt73 
    Samuelchua and sMt73 like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtb79 View Post
    I made the switch. In really liked the idea of the note and used the s-pen and s-noted frequently. In the end I just felt like the size of the nexus 5 and lack of touchwiz suited me better. I'm happy with my decision.

I really don't miss much from the Note 3. I installed Cataclysm and am getting outstanding battery life.

+1 for the Avatar! What kind of battery life are you seeing. I have had my note 3 now for about 3 months, and after a full day at work with moderate use, gym streaming music, and evening time casually using it, I have around 29% left with around 2-3 hours of on screen time.

The Nexus 5 is a good phone you'll like it I'm sure.

The only 2 things holding me to the Note 3 are screen size and T-Moblie wifi calling.

Other than that I'd like a pure Android experience.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I had a Note 3 for a month and ended up selling it and buying a Nexus 5 and 7 with money left over.

Both have their positives but I prefer the on screen keys, full RGB IPS display, easier to manage size, bloatware free out of the box, latest software, wireless charging, unlocked, and the price.

I'll miss the screen size, battery life, expandable storage, and some of the touchwiz features but overall, I like the simplicity of the Nexus over the Note.

Quote Originally Posted by sMt73 View Post
    What kind of battery life are you seeing. I have had my note 3 now for about 3 months, and after a full day at work with moderate use, gym streaming music, and evening time casually using it, I have around 29% left with around 2-3 hours of on screen time.
    I was getting around 6.5 hours with the Note 3 and with similar usage, am getting approximately 4.5 hours with the Nexus. I picked up a couple wireless chargers for home and work so whenever I leave either place, I'm at 100%. Never even think about battery life anymore.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

+1 for the Avatar! What kind of battery life are you seeing. I have had my note 3 now for about 3 months, and after a full day at work with moderate use, gym streaming music, and evening time casually using it, I have around 29% left with around 2-3 hours of on screen time.
    It's been a pretty light day, but I took a couple of screenshots of todays usage, but for some reason only the screen on time shot will load. I haven't had any problem getting through a day and I'm typically an above average user. I'm a teacher/coach and had to work a basketball game a couple of nights ago, got home around midnight and still had over 30%, and there was a lot of temple run during those games...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101715
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who here has moved from a Note 3 to a N5-screenshot_2014-01-22-18-56-23-2.jpg   Who here has moved from a Note 3 to a N5-screenshot_2014-01-22-18-56-23-2.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    sMt73 

I constantly upgrade (to some in this case, downgrade?) and I got bored/tired of TouchWiz even with Nova Launcher Prime.

After a 3 months I sold it and bought the Black 32GB. Samsung made a great move with the Leatherette Back and we all know how amazing the Battery Life is but the nexus 5's Build & Feel is so much better and as I said if I can get 12 hours like I am, I'm very happy.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Son, don't what to be negative, LOL) is what I love about the nexus. There's just no other way to explain it.
    Thanked by:
    sMt73 

With pretty much the same use, I finish the day with about 22% left but then I am running Franco Kernel and Qualcomm optimised dalvik libraries.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I'm buying a Nexus 5 today since I recently switched to T-Mobile and I'm using my Verizon Note 3. Before my Note I had a GNex. So I'm excited to be back on stock android and have a "real" Nexus again. Once I sell my Note I'm buying a case, wireless charger, and a mophie juice pack. That should get me through my day.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

I had the Note 3 for about a month then I switched to the Nexus 5. The thought of having an all-in-one device in the Note 3 was attractive to me. But in practice it didn't seem to be all that practical. I like having two devices now. One for on the go and the other for multimedia content at home. I got the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 and really liked this combination better than just having the Note 3. One if the things that I didn't like about the Note 3 was the redundant services and apps in the software. I just don't understand why Samsung throws all of that stuff onto the device like that. It just seemed messy. On paper, the Note 3 is supposed to be a powerhouse. But I found the Nexus to be a lot faster and managed memory better. The one thing that I loved about the Note 3 was the AMOLED screen. That is the most gorgeous screen that I have ever seen. Battery life on the Nexus isn't that great. I could never get through a regular work day with it. The Note I could get through a work day with about 40 percent left. I also prefer the on screen keys as opposed to the physical home button and two capacitive buttons.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

For many of the same reasons you mention I switched from the Note 3 (and Note 2 for a long time).
    I like the AMOLED display of the Note much better and miss the spen.
    My son bought the Note3 from me and I picked up a iPad mini (very nice).

Running 100% stock on the N5 and very happy with my switch...super smooth and quick.
    So I went from using the Note as my all-n-one portable device to a N5 supplemented by an iPad mini for reading books, mags, etc. The N5 is much better for me carrying it running, and backpacking, biking. Plus I was wearing suits for a while and the Note3 just made my clothes hang (I know, weird).

Only downside for the N5 is the google stuff (i.e. Now, Hangout, Google+) is very helpful BUT over the top intrusive...bothers me that they collect everything about me and use it for marketing but I get no compensation? ha. Had to adapt to the reduced battery life but not an issue after I stopped playing with the N5 every five minutes.

For me it was a good move...over time I stopped using almost all of the extra add ons of the Note 3 (except spen)..

(you could also look at the slightly older LG G2...5.2" awesome screen and about the same size as the Nexus5.)

I just switched yesterday. I have iPad air so there wasn't as much of a need for the note 3 and I wanted to try the pure android experience and can say I couldn't be happier. Unbelievable smooth and feels much better in hand and I have medium size hands. Miss the camera a little on the note 3 but the nexus 5 camera is sufficient for what is meant to be used for,social media sites and text messages. I have now realized Sammy really has totally overhauled android with their software. It's almost like two different os. Can't wait to try the next nexus.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hooksy7 View Post
    I just switched yesterday. I have iPad air so there wasn't as much of a need for the note 3 and I wanted to try the pure android experience and can say I couldn't be happier. Unbelievable smooth and feels much better in hand and I have medium size hands. Miss the camera a little on the note 3 but the nexus 5 camera is sufficient for what is meant to be used for,social media sites and text messages. I have now realized Sammy really has totally overhauled android with their software. It's almost like two different os. Can't wait to try the next nexus.
    I couldn't agree more with your point about Samsung's overhaul of the OS. That was the biggest turnoff for me with the N3. I really think Google and apple have nailed it with their latest operating systems and ease of use. With the note I felt like I had to do a whole lot to get to the point where i could do just a little, if that makes sense....

Wildo6882 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jtb79 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with your point about Samsung's overhaul of the OS. That was the biggest turnoff for me with the N3. I really think Google and apple have nailed it with their latest operating systems and ease of use. With the note I felt like I had to do a whole lot to get to the point where i could do just a little, if that makes sense....

Exactly. Samsung was using Android for their own services - which Google has recently laid the smack down on. But it's this mentality that made me switch from an S4 to Nexus. I should be getting it today and can't wait. The extras that Samsung tosses in are just that, extra. There's too much junk you don't really use that only bogs down the phone.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

The settings menu alone is a nightmare on the note 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Exactly. Samsung was using Android for their own services - which Google has recently laid the smack down on. But it's this mentality that made me switch from an S4 to Nexus. I should be getting it today and can't wait. The extras that Samsung tosses in are just that, extra. There's too much junk you don't really use that only bogs down the phone.
    I think that the extras that Samsung incorporates into the software are mostly good. I think that they need to be optimized a little better so that it works smoothly. When you look at Sense or LG's user interface, they seem to be a lot smoother than TouchWiz. And, Samsung's UI seems to take up a lot of RAM. If they can fix these two issues, I think that they will be ok. Oh, and also, I think that their software offerings can sometimes be redundant. I think that they need to make some decisions as to what they are trying to accomplish. S-voice probably isn't needed because of Google Now. Chat On probably isn't needed either. Samsung Music Hub and App Store are probably not neither because of Google Play Music and store. They should probably get rid of the Samsung browser too. My Magazine isn't needed if they are going to preinstall Flipboard. Maybe if they rid the OS of these things, the phones would run a little better and it would make more sense from a consumer perspective.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk