1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Tracks Suddenly Dropping GPS with Updated Google Play Services?

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Its more of a My Tracks issue than a Nexus 5, but i use a Nexus 5.

Last Thursday (1/16/14) My Tracks started dropping GPS and for my 11 mile bike commute it was dropping 2 to 3 miles, but the overall time would still be correct. The map view shows random bits of the track dropping off and then starting again. I tried clearing cache/data but that didn't help. I noticed on Friday (1/17/14) that my Google Play Services was updated to 4.1.32. I believe that had some updates to location and battery improvements. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. I also use Endomondo Pro to track my rides. The first time My Tracks had an issue, so did Endomondo. I did a reboot and Endomondo has been tracking accurately ever since. Anybody else having issues with My Tracks or the updated Google Play Services dropping GPS and found a fix/work around?

I'm running a stock rooted N5.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: My Tracks Suddenly Dropping GPS with Updated Google Play Services?

Quote Originally Posted by dr colussus View Post
    First off, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Its more of a My Tracks issue than a Nexus 5, but i use a Nexus 5.

Last Thursday (1/16/14) My Tracks started dropping GPS and for my 11 mile bike commute it was dropping 2 to 3 miles, but the overall time would still be correct. The map view shows random bits of the track dropping off and then starting again. I tried clearing cache/data but that didn't help. I noticed on Friday (1/17/14) that my Google Play Services was updated to 4.1.32. I believe that had some updates to location and battery improvements. I'm wondering if that could be the cause. I also use Endomondo Pro to track my rides. The first time My Tracks had an issue, so did Endomondo. I did a reboot and Endomondo has been tracking accurately ever since. Anybody else having issues with My Tracks or the updated Google Play Services dropping GPS and found a fix/work around?

I'm running a stock rooted N5.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Have you emailed the developer, telling them what is going on? It may be an error in the app.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

I have been experiencing the very same since a couple of days. My Tracks seems to lose track for about 50% of the time. The tracked map looks more like a dotted line than a proper track (including some running through canals and lakes between points where the phone did record a GPS coordinate). However: I am on a non-Play edition HTC One, Android 4.3 and indeed: Google Play-services 4.1.32. Uninstalling and reinstalling My Tracks didn't help at all.

Yes, I have exactly the same characteristics -- on my rooted, stock, Nexus 5.
    Sometimes the GPS indicator comes on; sometimes it doesn't. After I lose GPS, I can't seem to get it back.
    Grrrrrrrr.