T-Mobile: Finally made the jump...

mrtinydave

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
And couldn't be happier. I was previously with Verizon and the HTC One. Loved the phone and service but was paying waaaay to much. So when I saw the deal T-Mobile had covering etf I decided it was time. I couldn't be happier with the nexus 5 and the service with T-Mobile so far is good. Just thought I would introduce myself to the forum. Any tips and tricks I should know about this phone would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds great! Nothing better than getting away from a carrier that we aren't happy with. Verizon may have some great coverage but I know it hurts in the pocket.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice, welcome to the family. I think you'll find that your signal with T-Mobile is solid in/around big cities, but pretty bad in the in-between areas. Not a big deal if you don't travel a lot though. Me, I'm perfectly happy with the switch to T-Mobile, especially since I'm saving so much money every month.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Great to have you here! I did the same thing last June. I was on the 30 plan but had to change to the 70 all unlimited.

Posted via somewhere!

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I came over from a HTC One and Verizon too. Very happy I switched. My coverage in my apartment (NYC) is better than it was on Verizon (much faster data speeds). I can even get service in my elevator and basement when be Verizon couldn't. Very happy so far.

I do miss the HTC zoe highlight video app. Wish there was a way to get it on my Nexus.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Data speed is seriously amazing. Just today, I recorded 49 MBPS in Cupertino on LTE using the Rootmetrics app. This is where I would be lucky to get 4G with Verizon, which would be about 5 MBPS. If I was unlucky, I'd have 3G at 800 KBPS.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just switched last weekend. Coming from a Note 3 on Verizon. The T-Mobile store didn't have a Nexus 5 when I switched. I've been using my Note 3 since and speeds are amazing. But my VZ Note 3 wasn't meant to be on T-Mo I've had a few disconnection problems. But so far I'm loving T-Mo!!

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that what T-Mobile has done with paying ETFs is going to have a big impact. Larger carriers like Verizon and AT&T can't scare you into staying anymore with ETFs. Now they have to look at their service and coverage. Now, I have noticed that AT&T is trying to get around this by offering its current users a chance to upgrade through their NEXT program. This way, if you leave you will have to still pay for the remaining cost of the phone which could be a lot of money depending on what device you have chosen. But T-Mobile won't pay this because technically it isn't an ETF because you have financed the device.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Now, I have noticed that AT&T is trying to get around this by offering its current users a chance to upgrade through their NEXT program. This way, if you leave you will have to still pay for the remaining cost of the phone which could be a lot of money depending on what device you have chosen. But T-Mobile won't pay this because technically it isn't an ETF because you have financed the device.
Which is in and of itself a victory for T-Mobile and John Legere. Legere has set out for some time now to make consumers more aware of the cost of the devices they own along with the concept of freedom from contract. For most devices on AT&T these days, yes, should one choose to leave under the NEXT program one will be responsible for the cost of the device in full, but then they could unlock and put the device on T-Mobile and save on their monthly bill. Also, when people realize the total cost of a given device, price will factor into which device they choose to buy, since that will affect their monthly payments.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I made the jump last weekend as well. They were out of N5's in all the stores here in Denver and out of stock online as well. So I ordered one via the website. Big mistake. T-Mobile ported my numbers over the next day and I was out of phones and service right before the AFC Championship game. I had to go into the store and drop $100 on loaner phones until my N5's came in. Here is the funny thing though. When I went to the same store that told me they were out, they had seven of them in stock. Arrrg! So I took to Twitter and G+. Both T-Mobile and Verizon responded to my issue. Verizon wanted me back. Said they would give me an early upgrade. Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless Something similar to T-Mobile but for 12 months instead of 24. But that is all. I said no thanks. When the N5's finally came in and I made the switch, they refunded me the loaner fee and gave me a deal on my first months bill to compensate for my troubles. Very nice. I was just really surprised they responded so quickly on Twitter like they did. So if you have any issues....take to Twitter.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to hijack this thread but since I am new too, I would like to know of any tips. Coming from the Verizon S3, I miss my battery % option and trying to get Dynamic Notifications and Light Flow to play nice with each other. Does the N5 have the ability to keep the notification light on for charging the phone for example? Light flow only has blinking option that works. If you have the 'always on' option, it never stays on.

Thanks in advance.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I made the jump last weekend as well. They were out of N5's in all the stores here in Denver and out of stock online as well. So I ordered one via the website. Big mistake. T-Mobile ported my numbers over the next day and I was out of phones and service right before the AFC Championship game. I had to go into the store and drop $100 on loaner phones until my N5's came in. Here is the funny thing though. When I went to the same store that told me they were out, they had seven of them in stock. Arrrg! So I took to Twitter and G+. Both T-Mobile and Verizon responded to my issue. Verizon wanted me back. Said they would give me an early upgrade. Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless Something similar to T-Mobile but for 12 months instead of 24. But that is all. I said no thanks. When the N5's finally came in and I made the switch, they refunded me the loaner fee and gave me a deal on my first months bill to compensate for my troubles. Very nice. I was just really surprised they responded so quickly on Twitter like they did. So if you have any issues....take to Twitter.

Whereabouts in Denver (city or metro area)? I've seen an iphone 5S and GS4 get little to no voice nor data INSIDE larger buildings near LoDo and capitol hill area, nor were the users able to use their hotspot to tether to company laptops. There was also 0 reception in a tokyo joes off Grant St.

Whats your experience so far?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch from Verizon, but to AT&T. In Richmond Virginia I am getting much better service and on avg 5x the speeds on AT&T. Love my Nexus 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did Verizon try to offer you anything to stay? Just curious.

They made overtures about how they're sorry to see me go, but I didn't really care since I had already made up my mind. They called me again about a week after I cancelled to ask what they could do, and I told them all of the times in the past that they could have tried to keep me happy, but didn't.

After I cancelled, my wife had to talk to VZW customer service in order to switch the line over to her own company's name--she was on the phone with them for 1.5 hours, during which time they disconnected her twice. She was steamed--talked to various managers there, and only was able to get $80 credit for all of her trouble. So I don't think I would have gotten anything worthwhile from VZW.