Hello,

I just recently gave a Google Nexus 5 to my parents. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and so I'm mostly familiar with the Android OS. One small thing that I'm having a hard time figuring out between the two phones deals with numerical notifications appearing on a app icon.

So, for example, when I turn on my Note 2 I can see that I had a missed call because the actual icon representing the app has changed. It may be one missed call or maybe more than that. In any event, for every missed call a number appears on the icon representing my phone. It's very nice having this as I don't always look at the smaller menu bar at the top.

With the Nexus 5, I was looking around for a setting that would give a visual indication on the app. However, I don't see it within the display settings.

Anyway, does anyone know how to turn this feature on? I'm sure this has probably come up before. So, a link talking about it would be fine as well.

Thanks again for any help

Edit: I just realized the numerical notification is the top right on the Android app icons and not top left.
    01-24-2014 07:17 AM
    I think it is a launcher setting. I don't think the stock Android launcher has that, but you can install a custom launcher (like Nova or Apex) and get that feature. Installing a custom launcher doesn't require root.
    Samsung includes that on their devices (because they have their own launcher).
    Oakshan likes this.
    01-24-2014 10:39 AM
    Ah ok. I was looking around after I posted and came across this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...x.notification.

So, maybe this launcher will have the notification functionality I'm looking for. It looks like this is custom format from this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....go.launcherex.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I think I'm on the right track.
    01-24-2014 12:56 PM
    n any event, for every missed call a number appears on the icon representing my phone.
    That is a custom Samsung Touchwiz thing. You'll need a different launcher or app.
    Oakshan likes this.
    01-24-2014 04:33 PM
    Thanks for the tip...I would love to find a launcher that mimics the Note 2 layout I'm used to for the Google Nexus.

If anyone happens to know of one that worked out for them , I would definitely be interested. I'll keep looking around on the Google play store to see if there is something that might work as well.

Thanks.
    01-27-2014 07:13 AM