1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can numerical notifications appear in top left corner for a particular app icon?

Hello,

I just recently gave a Google Nexus 5 to my parents. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and so I'm mostly familiar with the Android OS. One small thing that I'm having a hard time figuring out between the two phones deals with numerical notifications appearing on a app icon.

So, for example, when I turn on my Note 2 I can see that I had a missed call because the actual icon representing the app has changed. It may be one missed call or maybe more than that. In any event, for every missed call a number appears on the icon representing my phone. It's very nice having this as I don't always look at the smaller menu bar at the top.

With the Nexus 5, I was looking around for a setting that would give a visual indication on the app. However, I don't see it within the display settings.

Anyway, does anyone know how to turn this feature on? I'm sure this has probably come up before. So, a link talking about it would be fine as well.

Thanks again for any help

Edit: I just realized the numerical notification is the top right on the Android app icons and not top left.
    Last edited by Oakshan; 01-24-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Can numerical notifications appear in top left corner for a particular app icon?

I think it is a launcher setting. I don't think the stock Android launcher has that, but you can install a custom launcher (like Nova or Apex) and get that feature. Installing a custom launcher doesn't require root.
    Samsung includes that on their devices (because they have their own launcher).
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Can numerical notifications appear in top left corner for a particular app icon?

Ah ok. I was looking around after I posted and came across this - .

So, maybe this launcher will have the notification functionality I'm looking for. It looks like this is custom format from this - .

Anyway, thanks for the response. I think I'm on the right track.

n any event, for every missed call a number appears on the icon representing my phone.
    That is a custom Samsung Touchwiz thing. You'll need a different launcher or app.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the tip...I would love to find a launcher that mimics the Note 2 layout I'm used to for the Google Nexus.

If anyone happens to know of one that worked out for them , I would definitely be interested. I'll keep looking around on the Google play store to see if there is something that might work as well.

Thanks.