Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By raichur0xx0rz
  • 1 Post By greydarrah
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By slik6996
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Want to try T-Mobile for a month

Is it possible for me to try T-Mobile for a month and keep my number on att and T-Mobile? Or do I have to port my number to T-Mobile ten report it to att if I decide not to stay?
    Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.2.1

Default Re: want to try T-Mobile for a month

You could always go to T-Mobile and get a new sim card with a new number. Try it and see if you like it. I think you have 30 days to try it with no penalty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well I have a contract with att I don't want to cancel the service as of yet and want to keep the same number? Just in case I need to swap Sims?

Are you on a contract with AT&T?

Edit: We posted at the same time. If you want to keep the same number on T-Mobile, I think you'd have to port/re-port. That will probably trigger an ETF from AT&T though.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I'm doing the same. A few years ago Tmo's coverage was abysmal but it seems to have improved quite a bit.

Well you won't be able to keep the same number on both at the same time. You will have to actually port over to T-Mobile and if you don't like it, port back to ATT. I wouldn't recommend it as something could get screwed up in the transfer, but that's what you would have to do.

What are you looking for though? Just testing coverage/speeds? You may just want to get a prepaid line with T-Mobile if you want to just test out the coverage, rather than porting the number around.
    flick0416 and 21stNow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    What are you looking for though? Just testing coverage/speeds? You may just want to get a prepaid line with T-Mobile if you want to just test out the coverage, rather than porting the number around.
    This is what I would recommend too. The only downside to this is that you'd have a new number. Alternatively, if your objective is just to test the network in your area, you'd be just as well off checking T-Mo's coverage map and finding other T-Mo users in your area to see what their experience has been. I've found that T-Mobile's coverage map is pretty accurate, as long as you zoom in far enough. I've also found that their coverage is solid around big cities (and their LTE is very fast...I get upper 30's mbps down, 20 miles outside of downtown Cleveland, OH).
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I go to asu in Tempe and travel to Vegas a lot. So hopefully the coverage is good in those two areas. I just want to test it. I may have to just have two Sims with two different numbers...

You can only use the same number on one service at a time. If you like T-Mobile better, you can port it later, though they may charge for that.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Or, you could port your existing number to Google Voice, then you can hook up to any carrier and always have your current number show up in caller id no matter the SIM/provider.
    Semper Fi
    I love my Moto X 2014!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    21stNow likes this.

I recently was in the same situation as the OP--I was on VZW, wanted to switch, but didn't know what T-Mobile's service was like in the area. So I bought an N5, went to T-Mobile, and started service with them with a new number, and simply forwarded calls from my VZW number to my new T-Mobile number. The only thing I couldn't forward was text messages. Once I decided to make the permanent switch, I told the T-Mobile folks, and they ported the number, which replaced the temporary new number I had. No additional fees, took about 15 minutes total at the store.
    slik6996 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I'm going to just do this.
    Thanks.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slik6996 View Post
    I'm going to just do this.
    Thanks.
    Sure thing! And since T-Mobile has no contract, you could cancel any time without penalty. Keep in mind that if you get a phone through T-Mobile, you can return it without a restocking fee within 14 days, as long as you're canceling service outright. If you just want a different phone on T-Mobile, I think there will be a restocking fee. Have fun!
    slik6996 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I recently was in the same situation as the OP--I was on VZW, wanted to switch, but didn't know what T-Mobile's service was like in the area. So I bought an N5, went to T-Mobile, and started service with them with a new number, and simply forwarded calls from my VZW number to my new T-Mobile number. The only thing I couldn't forward was text messages. Once I decided to make the permanent switch, I told the T-Mobile folks, and they ported the number, which replaced the temporary new number I had. No additional fees, took about 15 minutes total at the store.
    I'm sort of doing the same, but it's been like, 3 or 4 months of me having both VZW and Tmobile haha...

How long did you test T-Mo for before porting the number? I assume that they can only port after so many days. I am looking to use replace VZW with T-Mobile in a few months, but I bet I will be forced to a new number when that happens (well, keep the one I have with them already).

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    I'm sort of doing the same, but it's been like, 3 or 4 months of me having both VZW and Tmobile haha...

How long did you test T-Mo for before porting the number? I assume that they can only port after so many days. I am looking to use replace VZW with T-Mobile in a few months, but I bet I will be forced to a new number when that happens (well, keep the one I have with them already).
    I tested it out for about a week, making sure it worked well around where I live, where I work, and up in San Francisco. I don't think there's any deadline to port your number, as long as the number is still active on VZW. If you cancel VZW before porting, then you'll miss out, because once you cancel, they repurpose the number.

Posted via Android Central App