Pandora Stuttering

Chris Knight4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok this is giving me fits. Bought my wife a Nexus 5 for Christmas, shipping was delayed, blah, blah she just got it 2 weeks ago. The phone is great except for one really bizarre annoyance, that is unfortunately, for her a "game over".

Pandora stutters massively.

Songs will play for 1-2 secs, then stop for 5-6, then play again for 1-2 seconds. Absolutely unusable. The kicker? Pandora's ads come through loud and clear. This is tested on wifi and on her LTE (she is on ATT Straight Talk). The phone has been factory reset and it seemed to work initially but the issue would eventually come back.

Now when I set up a mobile hotspot with my iphone and tether to her nexus, pandora works fine, no issues. I'm at my wits end and the WAF is dwindling.

Any suggestions on what I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm 99% sure I don't have the answer, but (a) does the N5 have good LTE data reception when testing, and (b) have you tried Pandora when connected to wifi networks outside your home (like at the local cafe)? Just trying to rule out choppy data reception via LTE and problems with the N5's connection to your home wifi network.

Chris Knight4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm 99% sure I don't have the answer, but (a) does the N5 have good LTE data reception when testing, and (b) have you tried Pandora when connected to wifi networks outside your home (like at the local cafe)? Just trying to rule out choppy data reception via LTE and problems with the N5's connection to your home wifi network.

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't tested it outside on a different WiFi (hard to get her phone away from her) but I will be able today. As far as for her LTE, she gets 25MBPS down and 11 up (our first LTE, absolutely floored at the speed!). Ping 116ms btw. Our ISP (Charter) is 33 down/ 3.3 up and 23ms ping.

I immediately assumed the problem was on our end but the truth is everything else loads perfectly fine. Spotify, Tunein, etc stream without a hitch. Only Pandora is giving us fits and its only on her phone.
I set her phone as a static ip on our router and gave her phone traffic priority but no change.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I would bet it's the app and some sort of Kit Kat bug. And floored at the speed in a good way or a bad way? 25 is better than my Charter home connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? It could of bugged on install.

You can also go to the application manager and clear the cache on the Pandora app to see if that helps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.