Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: T-Mobile $30 Plan

Hi, I'm new to forums at Android Central. I just wanted to ask about how to switch to T-Mobile's $30 Prepaid Plan with the Nexus 5 and port my number from my old Verizon smartphone. I'm not a huge talker, so 100 minutes is right for me. However, I am a huge data user, so 5GB is right for me. Also, I live 15 minutes southeast of Los Angeles, where T-Mobile has great coverage.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5 T-Mobile $30 Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Ponce de Leon View Post
    Hi, I'm new to forums at Android Central. I just wanted to ask about how to switch to T-Mobile's $30 Prepaid Plan with the Nexus 5 and port my number from my old Verizon smartphone. I'm not a huge talker, so 100 minutes is right for me. However, I am a huge data user, so 5GB is right for me. Also, I live 15 minutes southeast of Los Angeles, where T-Mobile has great coverage.
    I signed up for it by buying the SIM kit at Walmart then going online and following the instructions provided. The 100 minute $30 plan was one of the available options.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    DanteROM

I ordered the activation kit online, but it was backordered. I ended up going to a local store, and they hooked me up with a free Sim, and signed me up for the same plan. They had to start the account on the other 30 dollar plan and call it in and change it to the 100 min one. Overall, a great experience in store, and service is pretty good here on the USAF Academy in CO. I only get 3g at home but it is way faster than the sprint 3g I previously got...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pay Verizon's ETF. It will be worth it. Another question though: Will T-Mobile's insurance cover the Nexus 5 32GB?

On that plan if you live near a tower can you use all 5 gb as lte or is that for slow data only?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluefalcon13 View Post
    I ordered the activation kit online, but it was backordered. I ended up going to a local store, and they hooked me up with a free Sim, and signed me up for the same plan. They had to start the account on the other 30 dollar plan and call it in and change it to the 100 min one. Overall, a great experience in store, and service is pretty good here on the USAF Academy in CO. I only get 3g at home but it is way faster than the sprint 3g I previously got...

By local store, do you mean a T-Mobile store?

AFAIK, the $30 100 minute/unlimited text/unlimited data (throttled after 5GB) is only available either online or through the SIM activation kit at Walmart.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

AFAIK, the $30 100 minute/unlimited text/unlimited data (throttled after 5GB) is only available either online or through the SIM activation kit at Walmart.
    That was the case for me. WhenI tried getting the $30 plan in store I was told to go to Walmart.

Great plan on a great device. Here at the jersey shore I get constant 30-40mb down and almost 20 upload!

Posted via Android Central App
    Nexus FTW
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So does T-Mobile insurance cover the 32GB Nexus 5?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    On that plan if you live near a tower can you use all 5 gb as lte or is that for slow data only?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3
    It's $30 a month for 100 minutes talk, unlimited text messages, and unlimited data with 5GB LTE data.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nexus 7 (2013)

ROM
    DanteROM

Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    That was the case for me. WhenI tried getting the $30 plan in store I was told to go to Walmart.
    I caught em first thing when they opened. I'm sure they wanted to hit their activation quota as soon as possible for the day. They did take care of me. I'm on the 100 min plan, and it was setup in store. They did have to call in a plan change after they set me up though. As I said, they activated me under the other 30 dollar plan and called in a plan change...

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

Officially, that's the case. I have read on the forums that people have had a rep activate the plan in a T-Mobile store just by going through the website like you would at home, instead of doing an activation through the store's system. It depends on the rep but to be safe, I activate mine at home online.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pay Verizon's ETF.
    Whoa there big fella. Have T-Mobile do that for you.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Whoa there big fella. Have T-Mobile do that for you.

He may just mean paying then being reimbursed by T-Mobile .

That's how they do it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Do you think the $30 dollar plan would work with the Samsung Galaxy S5 when it comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSeeker View Post
    Do you think the $30 dollar plan would work with the Samsung Galaxy S5 when it comes out?
    Yeah. They don't restrict it by phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Cool So when the phone comes out, I just buy the unlocked GS5 and get the sim card at Walmart or online?

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSeeker View Post
    Cool So when the phone comes out, I just buy the unlocked GS5 and get the sim card at Walmart or online?
    You got it. Pretty straight forward. Was one of the easier plans I've set up without having to make a phone call to customer service. Straight Talk was OK, GoPhone was pretty confusing, but T-Mobile was easy. Unfortunately I had to ditch the plan (which was perfect for me), because T-Mobile's signal wasn't powerful enough to penetrate my workplace building, so I lost signal while inside. Now I'm paying $65 for AT&T GoPhone for less data. But if you get good T-Mobile service when you need it...this plan is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Garconis View Post
    You got it. Pretty straight forward. Was one of the easier plans I've set up without having to make a phone call to customer service. Straight Talk was OK, GoPhone was pretty confusing, but T-Mobile was easy. Unfortunately I had to ditch the plan (which was perfect for me), because T-Mobile's signal wasn't powerful enough to penetrate my workplace building, so I lost signal while inside. Now I'm paying $65 for AT&T GoPhone for less data. But if you get good T-Mobile service when you need it...this plan is a no-brainer.
    Haha thanks I was getting all confused lol.