Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: "What phone is that?"

Anyone else ever get asked this?

It's happened to me a few times. The person asking typically ends up having no clue what an N5 is. Then, somehow "iPhone" or "Galaxy" gets thrown into the conversation, lol. Just sayin'.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Brian Low, MERCDROID and brum like this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Nexus 5: "What phone is that?"

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Anyone else ever get asked this?

It's happened to me a few times. The person asking typically ends up having no clue what an N5 is. Then, somehow "iPhone" or "Galaxy" gets thrown into the conversation, lol. Just sayin'.

If only they knew it was better than both phones lol
    I haven't seen a Nexus 5 in public and only a handful on Nexus 4s. That's probably why most people have no idea what phone it is

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah it's happened a couple times to me too. One of the comments was sparked by the display, as in they were so impressed with it they wanted to know what kind of phone I had

Moto X/Nexus 5

I've probably only seen about 3 or 4 out there N5's in the wild

ChuckG73 likes this.

I get asked all the time.

"I didn't know Google makes phones." So when I tell them it's LG they completely shut down and lose interest.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

Get ask that all the time. When I say Nexus 5 they normally say "Who makes that". Most people don't even know Google makes phones or tablets since they don't advertise very much.

I get asked commonly, too. Very few people have a clue what this phone is.

As others have said, all the time. Even after I get done explaining it to them I'm not sure they understand.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I work in a small IT dept, and only a couple guys weren't familiar w/my phone. Maybe coincidence, but they're the only two in the dept that own an iPhone, lol.

Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I work in a small IT dept, and only a couple guys weren't familiar w/my phone. Maybe coincidence, but they're the only two in the dept that own an iPhone, lol.

They're not very good IT guys for those two reasons

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    They're not very good IT guys for those two reasons

They're actually very talented developers. Smart guys, just not huge gadget guys.

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

I always preface my answer with "Its a pure Google phone, made by LG" "It called the Nexus 5" If its an iphone user, I show them the screen and they usually admit it really looks great. Its interesting that ever since I got this phone, I have barely cared about my android podcasts. There just really isn't anything on the horizon that I care about. I think thats the case with most folks who are really satisfied with their current phone. It's just hit all my check lists... 32GB, LTE, 1080P 5" ips, Kit Kat, Good Solid camera(Yes I get great pics with it) . Until it breaks I'm good..
    ChuckG73 and Goodfella1978 like this.

I got a couple of questions. The Caseology carbon fiber case was what one guy asked about.

The other was a little let down when I said LG made it but he liked the price (for unlocked) and wanted to know if they made one with a bigger screen. I live in the City of Atlanta -- phablets are big here.

That's something that I enjoyed when I had the Nexus 5. I knew that no one else was going to have the same phone. I can't stand that when someone else's iPhone rings that about a dozen of us start checking our phones. Sometimes it is just nice to have something different.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

so far only saw one Nexus 5 in the wild

Haven't seen any others in person yet. When I went to get it from Sprint I was actually the first person in the area to get the phone from them (at least from that particular Sprint store).

My girlfriend's mom was so enamored by my phone that she bought herself one for Christmas lol she loves it

pseudoware likes this.

Carrier
    DanteROM

Well, I just increased the population of Nexus 5 owners is Colorado Springs by one. I have yet to see anyone else with a Nexus 5, but I have seen a few Nexus 4s. Should be interesting as I use my phone at work for price matching and product spec lookups at a large electronics chain . Sadly, I have a hard time recommending the Nexus 5 from our store... Cause it is 450 for the 16gb O.o

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

When I told a friend it's a "Nexus 5", he said "WTF?" and had a condescending laugh, as if I said I bought an Emerson or Insignia TV instead of Samsung or Panasonic.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

When I told a friend it's a "Nexus 5", he said "WTF?" and had a condescending laugh, as if I said I bought an Emerson or Insignia TV instead of Samsung or Panasonic.
    Lol!

soma4society likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

the kid working at Best Buy (not the phone department) instantly recognized it when i was out looking at bluetooth speakers. he said "ohhhhhhh Nexus 5" and it garnered instant tech respect. respect in the sense that this kid instantly knew i was technologically savvy and thus he knew not ask me stupid questions or give me stupid answers - and whatever he did - he knew he better not try to bullsh1t me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the kid working at Best Buy (not the phone department) instantly recognized it when i was out looking at bluetooth speakers. he said "ohhhhhhh Nexus 5" and it garnered instant tech respect. respect in the sense that this kid instantly knew i was technologically savvy and thus he knew not ask me stupid questions or give me stupid answers - and whatever he did - he knew he better not try to bullsh1t me.
    I was having problems with signal and I was talking to an AT&T manager. The moment I pulled out the phone for him to put a new SIM in I could tell he was impressed and knew what it was. His first question was if I liked it and that he hadn't seen one in the store yet.

Another funny experience was when I was at a restaurant the person who took my Google Wallet card commented on it. The first question out of her mouth was "do you also have a Google phone?"

I love explaining what the device is. My usual response is "Pure Android designed by Google, made by LG".

Goodfella1978 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    That's something that I enjoyed when I had the Nexus 5. I knew that no one else was going to have the same phone. I can't stand that when someone else's iPhone rings that about a dozen of us start checking our phones. Sometimes it is just nice to have something different.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    Why did you switch back to an iPhone from N5, if I may ask?

Someone actually asked me yesterday at work if that was the new galaxy 5s. I didn't say anything just walked away pissed off haha
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I get asked all the time.

"I didn't know Google makes phones." So when I tell them it's LG they completely shut down and lose interest.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk
    Don't feel bad, one of my buddies took a poke at me to wind me up with, "oh.... you mean that company that used to be Goldstar right? haha"

I was going to say something along the lines of "yeah but they're not that bad anymore" but there's not really any response you can make to that without sounding like you're making excuses. He's still using an S3 so I showed him my Z1 and my Note 3 later that week and told him to suck it. Then I crushed him with my Vierra Plasma and 7.1 surround home theater vs. his tiny little 50" Bravia with no speakers, and delivered the coup de grace by calling him a techno-tard. Don't mess with my toys boy! If he tries again I'm going to sleep with his wife and film it in 4k
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast