Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By krifor03
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default KitKat stock Launcher or other Launcher?

So, as the title stands. Just got my N5 for couple weeks since I lost my S4. I've used nova Launcher on my S4 and loved it(and the fact that I hated TW) . Now with the KitKat stock Launcher features and all, I wanna know what you guys prefer as your Launcher. Your custom or pure KitKat?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: KitKat stock Launcher or other Launcher?

Still running stock on mine. I've played with other launchers and can't get into them just yet. Probably out of pure laziness but I haven't wanted to tinker with any of their options yet as I really just like stock KitKat

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stock is great but I like display clean and love the gestures Nova Prime gives me.

I have Two Finger Counter Clockwise gesture that brings me back to stock so I can use, "Okay Google."

Stock for me. At first I wasn't crazy about the default size of the icons, but they have quickly became normal-looking to me.

On my LG G2 stock AT&T I use Holo Launcher HD. Still on Jelly Bean, waiting for Kit Kat update via OTA. Go to Google Play Store and check out free versions launchers; ADW, Appex, Rocket, Zeam, Next. I like vertical movement at the apps drawer and on my formers and current android phones the stock launchers only have horizontal movement at apps drawer.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

Nova launcher ftw.

Posted via my LG Nexus 5...

I like the stock launcher but do switch to action launcher and nova. I like the ability to change.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm using stock launcher at the moment. I'm fairly new (as in haven't been with Android in a very long time) so I decided to make sure to get used to stock first before running into the custom launchers.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Stock is great but I like display clean and love the gestures Nova Prime gives me.

I have Two Finger Counter Clockwise gesture that brings me back to stock so I can use, "Okay Google."
    That's a smart way to use gesture, never thought about that tx!

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

But nonetheless, having N5 in my hand I just feel the necessity to use KitKat stock Launcher itself coz after all that's the reason we got this phone from the get go (pure android experience)

Nova - it is critical that i remove that persistent search bar and free up that screen real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Nova - it is critical that i remove that persistent search bar and free up that screen real estate.
    I'm curious--does Nova emulate the KitKat launcher in appearance now, or is that still only the beta release?

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Irawan View Post
    That's a smart way to use gesture, never thought about that tx!

Why I love Nova.

Hopefully, they can release an update that support Ok Google.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I'm curious--does Nova emulate the KitKat launcher in appearance now, or is that still only the beta release?

yes it does (or i should say - it can - at your request).
    Thanked by:

-- disclosure: I work in a startup that owns a launcher --

as part of my job i have tried most launchers + kitkat + any vanilla, and i know i am super biased but these days i can't last even one day with something that is not
    and (secret) it will soon be out of beta and will become super contextual, if that the kind of thing you are into (aviate and such).

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

The one great thing about alternate launchers like Nova is that they add tabs on the app drawer so you can organize your drawer better. For instance, I have a tab for just games on mine to keep them sorted from my other apps. In all other aspects I pretty much keep my phone looking like the stock launcher (which is pretty good imo) but even if you don't want some of the eye candy and stuff the other options bring, tabs in the app drawer is a killer feature for me.

Action Launcher for me! As much as I love stock KitKat launcher, AL just feels like it makes everything more efficient, finding apps etc. And their 'covers' are such a clever feature!

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Stock GEL.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm still using the stock launcher since release. Don't have needed want to switch back to Nova at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I love Aviate. It's simple, it works, it gives me what I need when I need it. I went back to the stock launcher for a few days but it's too easy for it to become a cluttered mess. Aviate FTW

Nexus 5 4.4.2
    Got sideload?
    Thanked by:
    turbodmac likes this.

Tried a few but ended up back with stock launcher. Works great with all the google now functionality. So i will stick with it.
    Current Phone: Nexus 5
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by danjash View Post
    -- disclosure: I work in a startup that owns a launcher --

as part of my job i have tried most launchers + kitkat + any vanilla, and i know i am super biased but these days i can't last even one day with something that is not
    and (secret) it will soon be out of beta and will become super contextual, if that the kind of thing you are into (aviate and such).

Have to admit, I was intrigued especially after looking at the video. I installed it and I really like it, but the big problem on the Nexus is that the nav bar overlays the dock!

Edit : Looks like the dock just needs to be up a bit higher. I tried to take one of the icons out of the dock and was successful, but when I tried to put it back, it got stuck (kinda not quite in the dock) . I rebooted twice to fix it, but had to reinstall the app to fix it. If this is fixed I will definitely give it a go! Great idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gadgetgirl3; 02-03-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorebash View Post
    Tried a few but ended up back with stock launcher. Works great with all the google now functionality. So i will stick with it.
    I 2nd Aviate. Nice and clean. And OK Google is always available by swiping up from the home button.

Stock its ok but I'm running Next Launcher, runs as smooth as it gets. I also own SPB Shell 3d but the lack of updates keeps preventing me from using it