Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trouble Getting Connected to Home Wi-Fi with my Nexus 5

Hi .... I bought a Nexus 5 about 15 days back. I am very happy with the phone - except for the fact that I face difficulty connecting to my Home Network in particular. My Windows Laptop, My wife's iPhone and iPAD connect to the same WIFI almost instantaneously. However, my Nexus 5 phone keeps saying "Obtaining IP Address" endlessly. At times, it says "Weak Signal - Cannot Reconnect" and gives up. However, all other mobile devices show that the signal strength is good. the phone does connect to the WiFi after sometime by itself.

I do not have this problem when I am at my office. It connects immediately to the WiFi in my office.

The Router setting at home is as follows :
    Mode : AP
    Band : 2.4GHz (B+G+N)
    Channel Width : 20/40 Mhz Auto
    Channel Number : 11 - 2462Mhz
    Broadcast SSID - Enabled
    WMM - Enabled
    Authentication - WPA-PSK
    Cipher Suie - CCMP

Please let me know what should I do to resolve this issue. I have given the Router Config details so that changes can be suggested if they are not set properly.

Thanks
    Arv

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Trouble Getting Connected to Home Wi-Fi with my Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by arvnexus View Post
    Cipher Suie - CCMP
    Can you try removing the CCMP cipher and just go with WAP(2)-PSK (or AES) and see if that gets it to work?
    (CCMP uses AES)
    TKIP Protocol plus AES encryption is the way to go.

Welcome to Android Central! Besides the above good suggestion, I would also try rebooting the router. See this guide for other tips: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.2.1

Can you also use just G/N or do you have B devices connecting to your network?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi kgeissler .... I am sorry - I do no know what B,G,N Devices are : We have Windows laptop, iPhone, iPad and Nexus Phone. Are these B,G or N

B, G, and N refer to increasingly advanced versions of the 802.11 wifi standard. N is the fastest of the three and gives the most range--most devices that are less than 1-2 years old will be N compatible. B and G devices are typically several years old. If you set your router to broadcast in N only, or G/N, you can get better performance, since making sure the signal is B and G compatible slows it down.

Many of us have had glitches with the Nexus 5 and our home WiFi networks. There is a thread on here that focuses on this. A Google search will also show you it is not a limited deal. Turning off WiFi and then reconnecting it to my 5 or 2.4 gigahertz options works for me. Numerous other temporary solutions are mentioned. Good luck. We are hoping Google notices and fixes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk