Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By knotquiteawake
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finally upgrading my Galaxy Nexus... hope I made the right choice!

I've had this Galaxy Nexus 32gb for only a year and half and while I've loved the screen and android experience I've had SO many issues with it....
    TERRIBLE cell signal, HORRENDOUS battery life...
    I've disassembled the phone 3 times now to tweak the antenna contacts, this seems to give me better reception for a couple days.
    I had to buy a 3200mah battery to get through a day (probably because of the cell signal)

So I decided to buy the Nexus 5 32gb directly from Google. That way when my sprint contract is up in a few months I can switch to t-mobile.

So is this a good upgrade going from the gnex to the nexus 5?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-30-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Finally upgrading my Galaxy Nexus... hope I made the right choice. l!

Quote Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
    I've had this Galaxy Nexus 32gb for only a year and half and while I've loved the screen and android experience I've had SO many issues with it....
    TERRIBLE cell signal, HORRENDOUS battery life...
    I've disassembled the phone 3 times now to tweak the antenna contacts, this seems to give me better reception for a couple days.
    I had to buy a 3200mah battery to get through a day (probably because of the cell signal)

So I decided to buy the Nexus 5 32gb directly from Google. That way when my sprint contract is up in a few months I can switch to t-mobile.

So is this a good upgrade going from the gnex to the nexus 5?

Welcome to the forums!
    I never had the Galaxy Nexus, but I like the Nexus 5. It is a good phone.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Finally upgrading my Galaxy Nexus... hope I made the right choice. l!

Welcome to Android Central! I love the Nexus 5, and I think you will too. The battery is always cited as the main weakness, but as long as you have decent cell signal in your area and you're an average/moderate user (i.e., not playing graphics-intensive games or watching tons of videos with the volume on high), you should be able to get through the day with plenty of battery to spare.

I'm.on sprint and in past had the galaxy nexus too. This phone is way better and not even in the same league. When people compare battery life and say the n5 that its the weakness, they are comparing it to newer phones. When you compare the n5 to the galaxy nexus, the battery life is a substantial improvement. When I had my gn I'd be lucky to get 1-1.5 hours of screen on time with the stock battery before I needed a recharge. With my n5 I routinely go 18 hours with 3 hours of screen on time and still have 30% battery left.

So in a nutshell, yes you'll love the n5 and the improvements are huge.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's really great to hear! I pulled a better to ask for forgiveness than permission move in buying the phone with my wife... So far it's only cost me a couple extra "honey do" list items and some flowers.

gidgiddonihah likes this.

I loved my Gnex, used it for two years, finally upgraded to the nexus 5 32 Gb. when it came out. I'm VERY happy with the nexus 5, I use T-mobile's $30 prepaid plan, battery life is very good. I can get two days out of the nexus if I use wifi, about a day if I use 4G. The nexus 5 is a lot snappier than the Gnex was, as would be expected with a two year old phone.

All in all, I love my nexus 5! Rooted and unlocked as soon as I opened the box and threw on CM's kit-kat.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I upgraded from the Verizon GN to an N5 on AT&T. The N5 is a much better phone in every regard. The battery life is much better than the GN although it's not as good as you would like. The screen is easier to read, I didn't thing the extra resolution would matter but it does. The WiFI performance is leagues ahead, I only got 35MBits on the GN, I get 270MBits to my LAN on the N5. The LTE performance is much better, I get between 20 and 41MBits in most of the places that I've tested although I attribute a lot of that to moving to AT&T from Verizon. The call quality is also much better, but that could be GSM vs CDMA. Finally the camera is excellent, the GN's camera was dreadful.

I came from a Verizon GNexus also, but to Tmobile. The N5 is certainly much nicer and faster. The battery life is better, but given that I can't swap out the battery the way I could with the GNexus, it still can get iffy at the end of a long day. I do like the higher resolution screen, although the blacks aren't as black as on the GNexus' AMOLED screen. The camera is pretty good now (after the early update), a significant improvement over the GNexus. The N5 call quality, in my opinion, is just ok. The earpiece speaker volume is ok, though a little on the low side. It's perfectly usable, but on my GNexus, the earpiece was loud (and clear) enough that it could almost be used like a speakerphone. The N5 speakerphone volume is also low, just loud enough to be usable most of the time. If you have some noise in the background, it's not very usable. I would say the N5 is definitely a good improvement, although personally, I expected a little better.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Kind of bummed to hear the battery isn't spectacular. But if it's better then the stock gnex I'll be ok. On top of the 3000mah battery in my gnex I've also got an external battery pack as well that will recharge my gnex 60% of the way in a matter of minutes.

You know I think my n5 is perfect. But I'm coming from a Samsung replenish so I'm no reviewer...

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

ROM
    DanteROM

Kind of bummed to hear the battery isn't spectacular. But if it's better then the stock gnex I'll be ok. On top of the 3000mah battery in my gnex I've also got an external battery pack as well that will recharge my gnex 60% of the way in a matter of minutes.

I just moved from a sprint gnex myself. Battery life is amazing compared to men CDMA signal in Colorado springs. I uses to have ~30% after an 8 hr shift(little to no phone use), now I have ~70% after the same shift, with more phone use.

I will say, I do miss the contours on the gnex case, and the slightly curved glass. It just felt nice in the hand...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ROM
    DanteROM

Quote Originally Posted by bluefalcon13 View Post
    I just moved from a sprint gnex myself. Battery life is amazing compared to meh CDMA signal in Colorado springs. I uses to have ~30% after an 8 hr shift(little to no phone use), now I have ~70% after the same shift, with more phone use.

I will say, I do miss the contours on the gnex case, and the slightly curved glass. It just felt nice in the hand...

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I think my gnex knows the gig is up and that I have a new phone waiting for me at home... Today the cell signal has almost totally dropped out. No data other than WiFi and can barely make a call...

I made the same upgrade a few days ago. Sprint GNex to Sprint N5. First 2 days sucked my battery hard, but I never got a chance to fully charge the phone (I failed to connect it to the charger at night, woke up in the morning at 8%). Since I've fully charged it and tweaked the performance (Using ART, turn off "Ok Google", fix all my apps for synching), and I made it though work on less than 30% charge drain including some above average usage (usually, my GNEX with the Samsung expanded battery was around 20-30% with similar usage). Now, to be fair, I have LTE turned off because I don't need it most of the time and LTE is spotty at work anyway, but getting though 14 hours on 30% total drain was nice.

I might regret not going 32GB, but so far I still have 4 GB left, and I've been trimming my apps and music a bit (lots of stuff I don't need), and I can pull a 1 GB app off if I really need space. Combined with the new 5 GB of storage on Pogoplug, I think I'll be fine.

ROM
    DanteROM

I went drastic... Roamed on Verizon, got kicked off a week before T-Mobile started paying etfs. Wife even jumped ship with me due to their military discount policy.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

We're planning on jumping ship to T-Mobile soon. Sprint significantly lowered their educator's discount (we both work for a school district). I heard T-Mobile does educators discounts too do hopefully we'll get a really good deal.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

You are leaving the Galaxy Nexus for something good. Whatever that may be, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Nexus 5 is a good device and I don't think you can go wrong with it. Hopefully the Galaxy Nexus didn't leave a sour taste for future Nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ROM
    DanteROM

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    You are leaving the Galaxy Nexus for something good. Whatever that may be, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Nexus 5 is a good device and I don't think you can go wrong with it. Hopefully the Galaxy Nexus didn't leave a sour taste for future Nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    The galaxy nexus didn't... Sprint did. Their participation in the nexus program was abysmal...

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Got my nexus 5! It's awesome. Only have wifi right now though because I haven't been to the sprint store to get a sim card. I'm hoping the corporate store can help me out at lunch today.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Corporate Sprint Store with full repair facility claims they didn't have any Sims. Totally unhelpful and condescending about it too

Corporate Sprint Store with full repair facility claims they didn't have any Sims. Totally unhelpful and condescending about it too

Not uncommon (them being out). It's the only phone that uses it and the only way to get the 32GB one on Sprint. Apparently most stores have at least 1-2 people a day asking for a SIMM.