Nexus 5: Cell Signal Problem(s) Fix

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a fix for dropping signal, dropped calls, LTE issues, and any other cell related issues you may be having. I am not promising a miracle fix, but this should alleviate most, if not all the problems you are having. If you still are having major problems I would recommend you RMA the device after returning to stock.

I want to start off by saying you have to be unlocked. If you are not, then this will not work for you. I have included instructions on how to do this for your convenience.

This is my first time doing this, so please speak up if you spot a mistake or have suggestions for improvements.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for your actions. I posted this as a guide, if you brick or blow up your phone do not come to me with blame. I will help you as best I can if you run into trouble but please read the instructions carefully before proceeding

Please read through the instructions carefully at least twice, especially if you don't know what you are doing. While its mostly safe (as it's a Nexus device), if you miss a step you will regret it later on. Trust me, I've been there before. It's not pretty.

Unlock your device:

0. Backup. You can use G Cloud Backup or any other app/method you want to use. Everything not backed up will be deleted. You are going to factory reset.

1. Install ADB and drivers. Easiest way to do this is to use this. If that doesn't work uninstall everything it installs and manually download/install this and this. If that doesn't work, use Google :eek:.

2. Extract the SDK you downloaded to your desktop and navigate to "sdk".

3. Press and hold shift and right click on platform-tools. Click "Open Command Prompt Here".

4. Boot the Nexus 5 into the bootloader (Turn the phone off and press/hold Power + Volume Down).

5. Connect the Nexus 5 to your computer.

6. Type in "adb.exe" in the command prompt. It should return a whole lot of crap. This means adb is working correctly.

7. Type in "fastboot devices". This should return a lot of numbers and letters followed by "fastboot". -If it is blank or returns an error reinstall and check your drivers!!! Do NOT proceed until you get the numbers and letters which signify the device's fastboot ID. Reopening the command prompt may work.

8. Type "fastboot oem unlock".

9. Hit "Yes" on the phone. Your phone will factory reset, make sure you are backed up.

10. Watch the phone. It should be doing stuff at the bottom underneath the red text. Once that is done, wait 1 minute and type "fastboot reboot". This is extremely important, make sure you do this.

11. Your phone will reboot to the Android recovery robot wiggling his ears. Wait until the phone fully reboots. This can take up to 15 minutes. Be patient.

12. Congratulations, you are unlocked when your phone boots. You can make sure by watching the phone when it boots. Underneath the Google logo it should show an unlocked lock.

Installing a Custom Recovery:

1. Boot into bootloader (Power + Volume Down)

2. Plug phone into your computer.

3. Download the recovery image on this XDA page under downloads. I highly recommend you download CWM, but TWRP works just as well.

4. Move the download to your platform-tools folder.

5. Press and hold shift. Right click the platform-tools folder and click "Open Command Prompt Here".

6. Type in "adb.exe" to ensure working adb. This is not required, but I like to be overcautious.

7. Type in "fastboot devices". Again, make sure the bunch of letters/numbers comes up followed by "fastboot". -If it is blank or returns an error reinstall and check your drivers!!! Do NOT proceed until you get the numbers and letters which signify the device's fastboot ID. Reopening the command prompt may work.

8. Type in "fastboot flash recovery XYZ.img. Replace XYZ with the filename of the recovery image (example: "fastboot flash recovery CWM1.5.img"). This command can take some time. Be patient.

9. Once the command is finished close the command prompt window.

10. In the Bootloader, using the volume keys find "Restart Bootloader". Hit the power button to select. Once the bootloader reboots find "Recovery Mode" and select it.

11. Your custom recovery will boot. In CWM recovery go into Backup/Restore using the volume keys.

12. Select it with the power button.

13. Select "backup" with the power button. This ensures you have a fresh, working backup in case something goes wrong.

14. Go to reboot phone. If the recovery warns you about something just hit yes. Seems like a common bug with recent versions of CWM.

15. When your phone reboots head back to the recovery through the bootloader to ensure the recovery stuck. If recovery boots to an Android with an exclamation point above him you will have to repeat the recovery section.

Flashing new Modem:

This is the way we are going to fix your phone's dropped signal, etc. To back up the EFS partition, you need to install a custom recovery. This is very important. If you ruin your EFS partition you are royally screwed if you don't have a backup. This is unique to each device. Please look above for instructions on how to install a custom recovery.

We will be flashing a new modem. In Laymen's terms the modem is the software that controls your cell's hardware - your signal is all regulated by this. You will be downloading all of the files from here.

Pick any of the modems. Use trial and error to see which works best for you. Some will work better for others due to carrier and location. You can use 821's files on the 820 and vice versa. Google made it easy for us.

0. Backup EFS in either CWM or TWRP by flashing provided ZIP. Copy the folder (.zip directory - don't unzip) to a safe place on your computer. You will need this if your phone's EFS partition gets corrupted.

1. Boot into the bootloader. (device off - Power + Volume Down)

2. Copy the image file you downloaded into the SDK's platform-tools folder. Do not download the .zip - those are for custom recoveries. Doing it via Fastboot is much safer and Fastboot works with the image files. The image files will be larger and will be terminated with a .img file extension.

3. Hold shift and right click on the platform-tools folder.

4. Click on "Open Command Prompt Here".

5. Type "fastboot devices". -If it is blank or returns an error reinstall and check your drivers!!! Do NOT proceed until you get the numbers and letters which signify the device's fastboot ID. Reopening the command prompt may work.

6. Type "fastboot flash radio XYZ.img". Replace XYZ with modem's name (example: "flash radio IAMAMODEM.17.img").

7. Type "fastboot reboot".

8. The phone should reboot with your new modem. Enjoy!

Last edited:

owaisian

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cell Signal Problem(s) Fix

I have tried all your given steps to fix my Signal Problem of Nexus 5. Now My Nexus 5 showing strong Signal Bars on AT&T Sim Card but nothing on T-Mobile or Simple Mobile Sim Card, it just has Empty Triangle. I have checked different Sim Cards. Please help me to fix this problem for T-Mobile or Simple Mobile connection. I am using Simple Mobile.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I have tried all your given steps to fix my Signal Problem of Nexus 5. Now My Nexus 5 showing strong Signal Bars on AT&T Sim Card but nothing on T-Mobile or Simple Mobile Sim Card, it just has Empty Triangle. I have checked different Sim Cards. Please help me to fix this problem for T-Mobile or Simple Mobile connection. I am using Simple Mobile.

Hmm. Very odd bug.

Are those active, partitioned SIMs linked to an active account/number? Also did you backup your EFS? Make sure you move that backup folder off the device. Need to fix that on the instructions. - Done.

Try reflashing a radio to see if that works. If not you can do a restore from the one I had you do during the rooting/custom recovery stage. If that doesn't work a factory reset may be in order. Last ditch effort is to flash the EFS backup in the custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

could you explain the problems you are having with the nexus 5 cell signal? I also have a nexus 5 but i don't think i have a signal problem.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

If a mod sees this can they move this to the Rooting, Mods & Hacks section? I was stupid and posted here by accident.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

could you explain the problems you are having with the nexus 5 cell signal? I also have a nexus 5 but i don't think i have a signal problem.

Its in the first sentence of the initial post. If your not having any of those issues then you don't need to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 5

owaisian

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I had signal problem with nexus 5. It was working very good but couple of weeks ago all signal bars and screen just has empty triangle. thats why i used this procedure.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Can you make a video please?

Posted via Android Central App

Me? I would love to if I had time. Maybe next weekend. I just had minor surgery and am on some pretty heavy medication. Probably not a good idea to post a video on YouTube right now :D. Plus finals are coming up in the next two weeks.

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Me? I would love to if I had time. Maybe next weekend. I just had minor surgery and am on some pretty heavy medication. Probably not a good idea to post a video on YouTube right now :D. Plus finals are coming up in the next two weeks.

Yes you in the Darth Vader mask lol. OK well I'll wait around till there's a video. I don't wanna brick my phone

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Pardon my confusion about the EFS backup. Maybe someone can elaborate. Backup of EFS via twrp seemed to work correctly. Here's where I'm confused: Why does each EFS backup contain a different hash? Also why does flashing the Nexus_5_Backup_EFS.zip file throw up a failed alert? At first, I thought I read something required Busybox, however installing that didn't change the flash "fail" alert.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes you in the Darth Vader mask lol. OK well I'll wait around till there's a video. I don't wanna brick my phone

I'll get on that as soon as I can :). Do you want a video of the entire process? Or just the radio?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Pardon my confusion about the EFS backup. Maybe someone can elaborate. Backup of EFS via twrp seemed to work correctly. Here's where I'm confused: Why does each EFS backup contain a different hash? Also why does flashing the Nexus_5_Backup_EFS.zip file throw up a failed alert? At first, I thought I read something required Busybox, however installing that didn't change the flash "fail" alert.

Not sure. It worked perfectly with CWM recovery. I have never been a big fan of TWRP and don't know much about it. Give me a couple of hours and I'll do a bit of research.

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Why more of a CWM fan? I'm new to TWRP as previous device recoveries were CWM-based. Haven't really used TWRP enough yet to like it any better.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Why more of a CWM fan? I'm new to TWRP as previous device recoveries were CWM-based. Haven't really used TWRP enough yet to like it any better.

I've always felt it was less buggy and more compatible across a wider range of devices. I also like the layout much better.

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

I'll get on that as soon as I can :). Do you want a video of the entire process? Or just the radio?

Entire thing. I'm a former iPhone user who made the leap after falling in love with the nexus. I'm used to the jailbreak process which is so easy and seamless so pardon me if I ask for a lot

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Entire thing. I'm a former iPhone user who made the leap after falling in love with the nexus. I'm used to the jailbreak process which is so easy and seamless so pardon me if I ask for a lot

Oh it's no bother. I may just find videos already on YouTube and then link them for each process until I have more time.

Eldroid125

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site

What radio did you use to improve AT&T?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781