Ditching my iPhone 5 for Nexus 5

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Looking at ditching my iPhone 5 32gb for the Nexus. The iPhone has been not holding a charge like it used to and I'm interested in a bigger screened phone. Love the look of the Nexus and the fact that it should recieve all the updates for the next 2 years. Curious to know how people's battery life is holding up? I'm a user who doesn't generally play a lot of games. The most I've ever played on my phone was actually a GBA Emulator with a Pokemon rom haha. I text the most with moderate phone calls, moderate social networking, but I do enjoy taking photos. I've seen after the recent update the camera has improved and if you know what you're doing then it takes outstanding photos. I can't wait to get ahold of the Nexus though! Any info would help though. Thank you.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
First, welcome to AC and the world of Android!

I have about the same use case as you, and I can easily get two days of battery life. One thing to do when/if you get it, is dig into the developer settings and switch from Dalvik runtime to Android Run Time (there are guides if you have trouble finding it).

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Similar thought processes going on here, though my iPhone is a 4.

If I have qualms, its because I have a Nexus 7 (2012) tablet and I'm familiar with it's lapses - some Android OS created and some by the lack of apps or, more often, poorly constructed Android ones originally found in iPhones; the reported battery life / build quality issues; and - and this is a biggie - the ability that should (when) something goes wrong with my iPhone, I can walk it into my nearest Apple Store and say, "Fix it" and not, as with Google, to have to rely on email correspondence and shipping my device (my primary phone too, BTW) to an unknown place either run by Google or LG for an unknown time.

Its a conundrum.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Looking at ditching my iPhone 5 32gb for the Nexus. The iPhone has been not holding a charge like it used to and I'm interested in a bigger screened phone. Love the look of the Nexus and the fact that it should recieve all the updates for the next 2 years. Curious to know how people's battery life is holding up? I'm a user who doesn't generally play a lot of games. The most I've ever played on my phone was actually a GBA Emulator with a Pokemon rom haha. I text the most with moderate phone calls, moderate social networking, but I do enjoy taking photos. I've seen after the recent update the camera has improved and if you know what you're doing then it takes outstanding photos. I can't wait to get ahold of the Nexus though! Any info would help though. Thank you.

My N5 battery, i feel, is good on standby but horrible when gaming. It has amazing standby time (once i got about 20 hours), but once i start playing some games the battery can take a HUGE dive depending on the game i'm playing. Just yesterday i had the device charged to around 95%, but after about an hour between Asphalt 8 and Candy crush i went down to about 45%. This is still a great step up from my previous phone which would have died before i even hit that hour. So in my POV, if all your doing is stuff like texting, social media etc. your battery should last easily a day. Any sort of high intense gaming and your battery will go down considerably fast. (Btw during that hour of gaming my screen brightness was at around 20-30% if thats any help to you).
Also from what i've heard, the camera app seems to drain the battery heavily as well. I wouldn't know since i don't take too many pictures.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
you wouldn't approve of n5's battery if you're coming from the iphone. there is a lot of great things about the n5 but the battery is not one of them.

now, if your previous phone was let's say, a lumia 920 and your battery literally drained @ a rate of 20%/hour, then you'll love the n5's battery (like me).

brun019822

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

I just switched from a iphone 5s and to be honest im probably getting the same battery life on it

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
My N5 battery, i feel, is good on standby but horrible when gaming. It has amazing standby time (once i got about 20 hours), but once i start playing some games the battery can take a HUGE dive depending on the game i'm playing. Just yesterday i had the device charged to around 95%, but after about an hour between Asphalt 8 and Candy crush i went down to about 45%. This is still a great step up from my previous phone which would have died before i even hit that hour. So in my POV, if all your doing is stuff like texting, social media etc. your battery should last easily a day. Any sort of high intense gaming and your battery will go down considerably fast. (Btw during that hour of gaming my screen brightness was at around 20-30% if thats any help to you).
Also from what i've heard, the camera app seems to drain the battery heavily as well. I wouldn't know since i don't take too many pictures.

Really? I play asphalt like a hour a day and I still make it through a day.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Really? I play asphalt like a hour a day and I still make it through a day.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

It was a combination of asphalt and candy crush. roughly 30 minutes on each? maybe candy crush takes more battery than thought to be. I mean i make it through the whole day but if i do play asphalt for that long i need to start being wary of how much i use my phone.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
you wouldn't approve of n5's battery if you're coming from the iphone. there is a lot of great things about the n5 but the battery is not one of them.

now, if your previous phone was let's say, a lumia 920 and your battery literally drained @ a rate of 20%/hour, then you'll love the n5's battery (like me).

i've heard nothing but bad things from my friends who have the iphone 5. They say its great up until a couple months after launch where they supposedly only got about 8 hours of battery life. But i've never had one so i cant really say.

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I got rid of my iPhone 5 two days ago and bought the Nexus 5.
I love the bigger screen, and the phone looks great too.
It is so smooth to run.
The battery though, is not so good, I don't play games, i use texts, emails, and calls moderately, and the battery won't last 24 hours, I had it charged to 100% at around 11am, and by 10pm it was at 10%.
I'm discovering Android as I'm new to this OS, so far so good.
Some apps I used in iOS are not available in Android but there are alternatives...

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It was a combination of asphalt and candy crush. roughly 30 minutes on each? maybe candy crush takes more battery than thought to be. I mean i make it through the whole day but if i do play asphalt for that long i need to start being wary of how much i use my phone.

Candy crush destroys the battery in no time flat. I had to quit playing it got so bad lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery claims are HIGHLY subjective.. It really depends per user.

The Note 3 has a great battery but I can wreck it in 2 hours.. Without games.. Others? Last 2 days.

It highly depends on what you do on your phone, what connection you're using (mobile or WiFi), and what apps / widgets you run.. Some manual sync.. Some auto..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mvidalt

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I?m using a Nexus 5 since one week with active usage of email + twitter + instagram with an extremelly good perception. With the usage that I mentioned before, I still have 25% of batery when I finished my day.

One thing that I don?t like of the device it the problems that I have when I sync 2 Imaps calendar accounts. Not sure if this a bug as I?m already start to investigate.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I got rid of my iPhone 5 two days ago and bought the Nexus 5.
I love the bigger screen, and the phone looks great too.
It is so smooth to run.
The battery though, is not so good, I don't play games, i use texts, emails, and calls moderately, and the battery won't last 24 hours, I had it charged to 100% at around 11am, and by 10pm it was at 10%.
I'm discovering Android as I'm new to this OS, so far so good.
Some apps I used in iOS are not available in Android but there are alternatives...

Give the device a few days and charge cycles. You might see a slight improvement, though not substantial or be blown out of the water. So what you can to conserve battery: set the screen brightness to under 50%, stop auto uploads or allow only when connected to wifi, connect to wifi when possible, don't sync what you don't need Sync'd and you should be OK.

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Give the device a few days and charge cycles. You might see a slight improvement, though not substantial or be blown out of the water. So what you can to conserve battery: set the screen brightness to under 50%, stop auto uploads or allow only when connected to wifi, connect to wifi when possible, don't sync what you don't need Sync'd and you should be OK.

Hi
How do I do these two :

- stop auto uploads or allow only when connected to wifi
- don't sync what I don't need sync'd

Thanks

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Had an iPhone 5 and switched to a nexus 5 at launch. Could not be happier! I will say the iPhone is just built so nicely, but I can really appreciate the soft-touch of the N5. Battery life has been good for me. Nothing special, but I would say on par or slightly better than my iPhone.. Also, for what's it's worth, I haven't had any issues with the build quality of my nexus 5!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the 5s and I am very happy with my nexus. Now the battery on the iPhone was better and it charge really fast. And one of the things that I like on the nexus is, you get a 2 amp charger and this phone really, really charge super quick . I don't know why LG put a 1.2 amp charger on a phone like this? The iPhone 5s came with a 2 amp charger. To me, the nexus does more thing than the iPhone, but the iPhone is almost perfect to everything it does. Just me

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36