Texting with iPhone users

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
This is my first smartphone & I am a newbie to texting.
I see the internet indicates many issues texting between iphone & android users...some with group messaging. Some with switching from iphone to android.
I am not switching.

My 2 sons have iphones. I cannot read their text messages.
Hangouts shows SMS messages in my que.
After selecting a message, it says to "Touch to download MMS message." (must be a media message)
But the message never opens. There is an indicator that shows it is working at a download...then retrying.

Messaging works fine to my daughter's android phone & my wife's flip phone.
I sent a photo image with no problems to my daughter.
So I believe my APN settings must be OK.

Any ideas?
Do my sons need to change their iphone so that they do NOT use imessage format?
Any users out there who do this with no issues?

Update: I had my son turn off his "imessage toggle" option and send using SMS. The text only message was received OK. But with imessage off, he cannot send me a photo. It greys out the option to send on his iphone. With imessage ON, I cannot receive his message containing images.
Update #2: I cannot send text messages with photos attached (to my son) ... indicates "message not sent".

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Texting with Iphone users

3 parts -

1. make sure that you have turned off iMessage on your old iPhone.
2. delete your old phone number and delete/unregister all old iPhone(s) from your Apple ID web profile at supportprofile.apple.c0m.
3. make sure iPhone-using friends App Settings are set correctly. By default, sending as SMS is not selected in IOS 7. To enable this go into settings>messages>send as SMS. This will send messages as regular SMS messages when imessage isn't available. also, make sure they delete any old text threads with you from when you had an iPhone.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

I modified my original post...my son changed his imessage settings ... problem seems to be texting with attachments.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure you are using the plain SMS function and not the Hangouts function? You can send a message either way. I had other SMS issues so I signed out of Hangouts and stayed signed out. No more issues for me.

I might add both my daughters can send me MMS photos just fine from their iPhones and i am sure they don't have me listed as an iMessage contact as I have never owned an Apple device.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.
I am using Hangouts for texting.

Which app are you using?

I am using the Hangouts app, but I am not signed it to Hangouts so it goes out as a plain SMS. There should be a toggle at the top left when you go to add someone for a new SMS or send one to someone already added. Mine defaults to "SMS" and if I tap it I get a dropdown for "SMS" or "xxxlasd@gmail.com not signed in".

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Answer:
I am in a dead zone at home ... Wi-Fi only.
Evidently I cannot send or receive MMS messages on Wi-Fi ... only on mobile.
SMS must use Wi-Fi if it is available.