possible to remove the google search bar on the home screen without rooting?

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
i remember seeing something like that on this forum before. it was a nice, clean looking home screen and it didn't have the google search bar on the top.

is this possible? if so, does it require rooting?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but it's nice to have the option to remove it. You can always search by bringing up Google Now. And some phones still have a hardware search button, which makes the search bar a little redundant.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It is a peculiar software design choice. All of the non Nexus Android devices allow you to remove the Google search bar from the home screen. I never had an issue with it. But I do wonder why they insist that it cannot be removed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

StephStephanie

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Why would you want to remove it, I think it look nice up there, and would help to make quick searches

I want to remove it BC that Google browser sucks. You can't open links in new tabs and your bookmarks aren't there. If that search bar would automatically search in crome I'd love it.

fred_yu_job

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
You are so funny!
So, when you are in each page, you always want to search?
I just wonder how many things you want to ask?!
I'm using the phone mainly for apps, not search in each page!
Answer the question rather than challenge to others, please!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You are so funny!
So, when you are in each page, you always want to search?
I just wonder how many things you want to ask?!
I'm using the phone mainly for apps, not search in each page!
Answer the question rather than challenge to others, please!

The search bar allows a user to search the web.

"rather than challenge to others" <-- eh? @babyrootz just provided his/her opinion. The question was already answered (aka custom launcher). You may choose to use your phone for apps, but others may like to use their device to just browse the web - everyone has their own preferences. And that is ok.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think if u disable google search it makes it go without downloading other launchers..

No, don't do that. If you disable google search, and don't have a different launcher already installed and chosen as the default launcher, Android OS won't know what to do after booting up, and you will be stuck at the boot screen

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow seriously? I know its not the same phone but when i had the 2013 moto g not so long ago i disabled google search in the apps menu and it removed the search bar but everything else was normal

Posted via the Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Moto G uses the Moto Launcher, which is not tied into Google Search. The Nexus 5/6 use the Google Experience launcher which relies on Google Search. Hence the difference

Last edited: