Good-bye Nexus 5!

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my Nexus 5 for a week, but I'm having a big problem that only a "T-Mobile" branded phone can fix. I have terrible/no reception at work. Even though most of the day I'm literally about 5 feet away from a window. T-Mobile just doesn't penetrate buildings very well. But I'm going to try and stick it out all in the name is saving money and screwing Verizon. So if I don't want my battery to die from searching for a signal I have to put it in Airplane Mode. Well in Airplane Mode I can't get texts or make calls. I have pretty decent wifi here. I've been using Google Voice for texts, yet I can't get MMS messages. And Hangouts for video chatting, but I can't just have a half hour to hour video chat. So I'm probably going to trade in the Nexus for a G2 or a Z1s. Most likely a G2 though. And I'll have T-Mobile's wifi calling and texting. Sorry guys I really love the Nexus and everything it stands for, but I need a way to be in contact with people when I'm at work.

Good-bye Nexus.......it's been fun :'( :-\ :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Good-bye Nexus!!

I've only had my Nexus 5 for a week, but I'm having a big problem that only a "T-Mobile" branded phone can fix. I have terrible/no reception at work. Even though most of the day I'm literally about 5 feet away from a window. T-Mobile just doesn't penetrate buildings very well. But I'm going to try and stick it out all in the name is saving money and screwing Verizon. So if I don't want my battery to die from searching for a signal I have to put it in Airplane Mode. Well in Airplane Mode I can't get texts or make calls. I have pretty decent wifi here. I've been using Google Voice for texts, yet I can't get MMS messages. And Hangouts for video chatting, but I can't just have a half hour to hour video chat. So I'm probably going to trade in the Nexus for a G2 or a Z1s. Most likely a G2 though. And I'll have T-Mobile's wifi calling and texting. Sorry guys I really love the Nexus and everything it stands for, but I need a way to be in contact with people when I'm at work.

Good-bye Nexus.......it's been fun :'( :-\ :(
That sucks :(
Yeah, T-Mo isn't great in big buildings/underground. The HTC One and S4/Note 3 also have Wi-Fi calling.

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Did you buy your Nexus from T-Mobile or Google?

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Did you buy your Nexus from T-Mobile or Google?

Doesn't matter. The Nexus phones are done by Google only (software wise) with no carrier bloat.

Other phones (like mine, the Note 3) have the carrier bloat. One benefit for T-Mobile customers means wifi calling is added into the ROM so we can use wifi for data (like everyone else) .. But also calls and texts using our T-Mobile service since it just uses the wifi as the "cell tower" to T-Mobile's backhaul.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't matter. The Nexus phones are done by Google only (software wise) with no carrier bloat.

Other phones (like mine, the Note 3) have the carrier bloat. One benefit for T-Mobile customers means wifi calling is added into the ROM so we can use wifi for data (like everyone else) .. But also calls and texts using our T-Mobile service since it just uses the wifi as the "cell tower" to T-Mobile's backhaul.

I had the Note 3 before my Nexus. Great phone. Loved the specs, battery life, and screen size. Everyone thought it was a tablet though. And didn't fit into my scrub pockets very well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 5

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

I understand that the whole Nexus experience software, etc. I too have a note 3 on T-Mobile. I disabled wifi calling since it messes with my Group messaging. When I am connected to wifi calling, I can send sms and mms messages, and receive sms messages... but not mms. Plus, Textra does not work with wifi calling as well.

I was asking because I am not sure how Google handles returns when there is nothing "Technically" wrong with the phone. Since he bought it from T-Mo, he should be good to go.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I understand that the whole Nexus experience software, etc. I too have a note 3 on T-Mobile. I disabled wifi calling since it messes with my Group messaging. When I am connected to wifi calling, I can send sms and mms messages, and receive sms messages... but not mms. Plus, Textra does not work with wifi calling as well.

I was asking because I am not sure how Google handles returns when there is nothing "Technically" wrong with the phone. Since he bought it from T-Mo, he should be good to go.

Ah okay.

And weird I've used ChompSMS for years (same people who made textra). I can call, text on wifi.. For MMS on wifi calling I just use the default messaging app to send. I can still receive them.. Guess the default one downloads it and chomp shows it.

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Ah okay.

And weird I've used ChompSMS for years (same people who made textra). I can call, text on wifi.. For MMS on wifi calling I just use the default messaging app to send. I can still receive them.. Guess the default one downloads it and chomp shows it.

I tried ChompSMS, and had same issues... makes me wonder if it may be my router at home / work..... May have to look into that.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I'll check out chomp before I return the Nexus. Because I love the phone. Just hate having a dead battery or not getting texts and stuff.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'll check out chomp before I return the Nexus. Because I love the phone. Just hate having a dead battery or not getting texts and stuff.

Disable mobile data and you'll still get calls and texts. No mms though. You should see some improvement by disabling that as opposed to airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Disable mobile data and you'll still get calls and texts. No mms though. You should see some improvement by disabling that as opposed to airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I think OP gets lousy cell signal period in his office, so my guess is that he'd still have bad battery life as the cell radio strains to get a signal ...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I think OP gets lousy cell signal period in his office, so my guess is that he'd still have bad battery life as the cell radio strains to get a signal ...

He could turn off mobile data and turn on WiFi. Regardless of signal strength, being on WiFi will prevent the battery drain

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

He mentioned scrubs, so I guess it's a hospital. I often get assigned to do stuff at hospitals in my line of work and they're notoriously bad for cell reception. I'd definitely want a phone with a really top notch radio as well as a carrier that has good building penetration if I worked full time in one. OP I don't know if your carrier has LTE but that also might be a factor because HSPA+ has better building penetration so you could try turning off LTE at work

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

He could turn off mobile data and turn on WiFi. Regardless of signal strength, being on WiFi will prevent the battery drain

I think he mainly wants to be able to still text and call people and he can't do that right now. If he snagged a phone with wifi calling it will solve that :).

I remember him from when he was on Verizon. His hospital has some nice wifi.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I think he mainly wants to be able to still text and call people and he can't do that right now. If he snagged a phone with wifi calling it will solve that :).

I remember him from when he was on Verizon. His hospital has some nice wifi.

If he has lousy coverage, even having a little will still allow him to get calls and SMS. Turning off mobile data and having WiFi will eliminate the battery drain, which is his main reason for leaving. WiFi calling is a better option, but its not the only one :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If he has lousy coverage, even having a little will still allow him to get calls and SMS. Turning off mobile data and having WiFi will eliminate the battery drain, which is his main reason for leaving. WiFi calling is a better option, but its not the only one :)

Very true :). If that would work for him he'd actually probably be happier because he does love his Nexus.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Very true :). If that would work for him he'd actually probably be happier because he does love his Nexus.

Yup, it would be a win-win :D
If he did have to go with the G2 though, he could flash a GPE ROM and get what is basically an N5 on steroids :p

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

It should be noted that Google Voice integration with Hangouts is coming "early this year," and that should bring an added level of practicality to the service. Support for MMS is also increasing, although it's not quite practical without universal support.

I've worked in multiple hospitals, and currently work in a highly-shielded medical facility. I know your frustration. I run with Google Voice and an SIP client (currently GrooVe IP), and have simply accepted the lack of support for MMS.

As said by Nikhyl Singhal:

We hear you loud and clear: you want Google Voice phone numbers outside the US and to support MMS. We are listening and working hard to make this happen, but we need to work with carriers and this can take some time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power