Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Unhappy Good-bye Nexus 5!

I've only had my Nexus 5 for a week, but I'm having a big problem that only a "T-Mobile" branded phone can fix. I have terrible/no reception at work. Even though most of the day I'm literally about 5 feet away from a window. T-Mobile just doesn't penetrate buildings very well. But I'm going to try and stick it out all in the name is saving money and screwing Verizon. So if I don't want my battery to die from searching for a signal I have to put it in Airplane Mode. Well in Airplane Mode I can't get texts or make calls. I have pretty decent wifi here. I've been using Google Voice for texts, yet I can't get MMS messages. And Hangouts for video chatting, but I can't just have a half hour to hour video chat. So I'm probably going to trade in the Nexus for a G2 or a Z1s. Most likely a G2 though. And I'll have T-Mobile's wifi calling and texting. Sorry guys I really love the Nexus and everything it stands for, but I need a way to be in contact with people when I'm at work.

Good-bye Nexus.......it's been fun

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Good-bye Nexus!!

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I've only had my Nexus 5 for a week, but I'm having a big problem that only a "T-Mobile" branded phone can fix. I have terrible/no reception at work. Even though most of the day I'm literally about 5 feet away from a window. T-Mobile just doesn't penetrate buildings very well. But I'm going to try and stick it out all in the name is saving money and screwing Verizon. So if I don't want my battery to die from searching for a signal I have to put it in Airplane Mode. Well in Airplane Mode I can't get texts or make calls. I have pretty decent wifi here. I've been using Google Voice for texts, yet I can't get MMS messages. And Hangouts for video chatting, but I can't just have a half hour to hour video chat. So I'm probably going to trade in the Nexus for a G2 or a Z1s. Most likely a G2 though. And I'll have T-Mobile's wifi calling and texting. Sorry guys I really love the Nexus and everything it stands for, but I need a way to be in contact with people when I'm at work.

Good-bye Nexus.......it's been fun
    That sucks
    Yeah, T-Mo isn't great in big buildings/underground. The HTC One and S4/Note 3 also have Wi-Fi calling.
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Did you buy your Nexus from T-Mobile or Google?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by sMt73 View Post

Doesn't matter. The Nexus phones are done by Google only (software wise) with no carrier bloat.

Other phones (like mine, the Note 3) have the carrier bloat. One benefit for T-Mobile customers means wifi calling is added into the ROM so we can use wifi for data (like everyone else) .. But also calls and texts using our T-Mobile service since it just uses the wifi as the "cell tower" to T-Mobile's backhaul.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    ki11ak3nn likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I got it from T-Mobile. So they could pay my ETF.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 5
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Doesn't matter. The Nexus phones are done by Google only (software wise) with no carrier bloat.

Other phones (like mine, the Note 3) have the carrier bloat. One benefit for T-Mobile customers means wifi calling is added into the ROM so we can use wifi for data (like everyone else) .. But also calls and texts using our T-Mobile service since it just uses the wifi as the "cell tower" to T-Mobile's backhaul.

I had the Note 3 before my Nexus. Great phone. Loved the specs, battery life, and screen size. Everyone thought it was a tablet though. And didn't fit into my scrub pockets very well.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I understand that the whole Nexus experience software, etc. I too have a note 3 on T-Mobile. I disabled wifi calling since it messes with my Group messaging. When I am connected to wifi calling, I can send sms and mms messages, and receive sms messages... but not mms. Plus, Textra does not work with wifi calling as well.

I was asking because I am not sure how Google handles returns when there is nothing "Technically" wrong with the phone. Since he bought it from T-Mo, he should be good to go.

I understand that the whole Nexus experience software, etc. I too have a note 3 on T-Mobile. I disabled wifi calling since it messes with my Group messaging. When I am connected to wifi calling, I can send sms and mms messages, and receive sms messages... but not mms. Plus, Textra does not work with wifi calling as well.

I was asking because I am not sure how Google handles returns when there is nothing "Technically" wrong with the phone. Since he bought it from T-Mo, he should be good to go.
    Ah okay.

And weird I've used ChompSMS for years (same people who made textra). I can call, text on wifi.. For MMS on wifi calling I just use the default messaging app to send. I can still receive them.. Guess the default one downloads it and chomp shows it.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Ah okay.

And weird I've used ChompSMS for years (same people who made textra). I can call, text on wifi.. For MMS on wifi calling I just use the default messaging app to send. I can still receive them.. Guess the default one downloads it and chomp shows it.

I tried ChompSMS, and had same issues... makes me wonder if it may be my router at home / work..... May have to look into that.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

I'll check out chomp before I return the Nexus. Because I love the phone. Just hate having a dead battery or not getting texts and stuff.

Hey, have you considered to make wifi calls over Google Voice?

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I'll check out chomp before I return the Nexus. Because I love the phone. Just hate having a dead battery or not getting texts and stuff.

Disable mobile data and you'll still get calls and texts. No mms though. You should see some improvement by disabling that as opposed to airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    ffejjj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Disable mobile data and you'll still get calls and texts. No mms though. You should see some improvement by disabling that as opposed to airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    I think OP gets lousy cell signal period in his office, so my guess is that he'd still have bad battery life as the cell radio strains to get a signal ...
    Incitatus likes this.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think OP gets lousy cell signal period in his office, so my guess is that he'd still have bad battery life as the cell radio strains to get a signal ...
    He could turn off mobile data and turn on WiFi. Regardless of signal strength, being on WiFi will prevent the battery drain

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    He mentioned scrubs, so I guess it's a hospital. I often get assigned to do stuff at hospitals in my line of work and they're notoriously bad for cell reception. I'd definitely want a phone with a really top notch radio as well as a carrier that has good building penetration if I worked full time in one. OP I don't know if your carrier has LTE but that also might be a factor because HSPA+ has better building penetration so you could try turning off LTE at work
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    He could turn off mobile data and turn on WiFi. Regardless of signal strength, being on WiFi will prevent the battery drain

I think he mainly wants to be able to still text and call people and he can't do that right now. If he snagged a phone with wifi calling it will solve that .

I remember him from when he was on Verizon. His hospital has some nice wifi.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I think he mainly wants to be able to still text and call people and he can't do that right now. If he snagged a phone with wifi calling it will solve that .

I remember him from when he was on Verizon. His hospital has some nice wifi.

If he has lousy coverage, even having a little will still allow him to get calls and SMS. Turning off mobile data and having WiFi will eliminate the battery drain, which is his main reason for leaving. WiFi calling is a better option, but its not the only one

ki11ak3nn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    If he has lousy coverage, even having a little will still allow him to get calls and SMS. Turning off mobile data and having WiFi will eliminate the battery drain, which is his main reason for leaving. WiFi calling is a better option, but its not the only one

Very true . If that would work for him he'd actually probably be happier because he does love his Nexus.

ki11ak3nn likes this.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Very true . If that would work for him he'd actually probably be happier because he does love his Nexus.

Yup, it would be a win-win
    If he did have to go with the G2 though, he could flash a GPE ROM and get what is basically an N5 on steroids

ki11ak3nn likes this.

It should be noted that Google Voice integration with Hangouts is coming "early this year," and that should bring an added level of practicality to the service. Support for MMS is also increasing, although it's not quite practical without universal support.

I've worked in multiple hospitals, and currently work in a highly-shielded medical facility. I know your frustration. I run with Google Voice and an SIP client (currently GrooVe IP), and have simply accepted the lack of support for MMS.

As said by :

We hear you loud and clear: you want Google Voice phone numbers outside the US and to support MMS. We are listening and working hard to make this happen, but we need to work with carriers and this can take some time.
    Thanked by:
    ki11ak3nn and UJ95x like this.

Maybe you can stick with T-Mobile, but use a different phone that might have better signal. Maybe a Motorola.

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Maybe you can stick with T-Mobile, but use a different phone that might have better signal. Maybe a Motorola.
    Carrier has more of an effect on signal than the phone's radios do, but yeah, if he gets 1-2 bars he might be able to get 3-4 with a Moto phone

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    It should be noted that Google Voice integration with Hangouts is coming "early this year," and that should bring an added level of practicality to the service. Support for MMS is also increasing, although it's not quite practical without universal support.

I've worked in multiple hospitals, and currently work in a highly-shielded medical facility. I know your frustration. I run with Google Voice and an SIP client (currently GrooVe IP), and have simply accepted the lack of support for MMS.

As said by :
    The Google Voice integration into Hangouts...does that include Google Voice SMS as well or is it just voice integration?

Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    The Google Voice integration into Hangouts...does that include Google Voice SMS as well or is it just voice integration?
    When it arrives, it should support both voice and messaging services through Voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post

As said by :
    I have tired Hangouts for SMS/MMS and I like it except for one thing ... Any suggestions for quick reply with it? I rely on quick reply a lot (the kind with ChompSMS, Textra, or Handcent). If I could use Quick Reply with Hangouts I would be set .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast