Hello Nexus 5... For Now...

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
let me say upfront, i LOVED my g2. the camera was great, storage capacity was adequate, the screen was brilliant, and i averaged 55 hours of battery life with my typical usage. i usually will spend just a bit more money to "futureproof" myself since i keep my devices for 2-4 years (full disclosure: my previous phone was an iphone 3gs i had for 4 years). i was looking forward to keeping my g2 for a long time.

on wednesday... the unthinkable happened. i dropped my phone from about waist-high. on concrete... i did have a case on it and it looked like the case took the brunt of the impact. there was no physical damage or any glass shattering despite the phone having dropped on its lower right corner. so i double-tap to make sure everything is ok. i get nothing. i hit the power button. i get nothing. mind you, the screen is still responsive since i can click on where the pin pad would be and i hear clicking... a few hours later though, the screen came back on and i could consistently get the screen to respond. i could receive/send calls and text so i figure no biggie.

thursday morning comes and my alarm goes off at the usual time - but the screen is black. i try hitting the power button, double-tap, i get nothing. the screen does a "tv black/white screen" blink once and it finally dies. after that i can't even get it to respond to anything...

i tried making a claim via att's website. as i go through the questions, the site instructs me to call att for further assistance. i call and get transferred (after what seems like selecting 1000 options) to their third-party insurer asurion. the lady tells me there is a $199.00 deductible (which is how much the phone cost with 2 year agreement). then she asks what's wrong so i answer honestly - that i accidentally dropped it. she tells me that that voids the warranty and i have to pay full price for the device - nearly $700! i hung-up on her.

i called a reputable mobile phone repair shop and explain the situation. the quote - $200 for the screen alone and another $75 for labor! plus 3-5 day downtime.

at this point, since i don't have $300-$700 to spare, what do i do? i switched to tmobile last night. they pay the ETF, i have good credit so i pick up a new phone with payments rolled into 24 month billing cycle with zero upfront. the plan has unlimited call/text/data that i can also use in korea and japan (which is a huge plus), mobile hotspot included. if i switch all 4 lines from att, i get way more for about the same price. also, after 24 months, the cost of the phone subsidy drops so as long as i don't buy new phones, the monthly bill drops (vs. att who keeps you locked in at that price month-to-month even after 2 year agreement is done).

what did i get? i picked up a nexus 5. i'm gonna' give it a test drive and if i still miss the g2, i'll be going back to the store to trade it in for a tmobile g2... i just wanted to see what the hoopla was about with vanilla android and having a "google" device...

i can already tell you i miss the brilliant screen on the g2... tmobile also only has the 16gb model...

convince me that i should keep the nexus 5!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oof, sorry to hear about the phone mishap! Regarding the Nexus 5, when the updates start rolling, you'll be glad you have it. It's hard for me to compare screens, but to me, the N5 screen is quite nice. I also much prefer the KitKat launcher and the whole stock vanilla Android experience--wasn't crazy about all of the extra visuals that LG threw in for the G2.

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to try to convince you to keep the N5. I will however say that I have absolutely loved mine. If you want the G2, it seems like an awesome device also. Just give it a shot and see if you miss things from the G2 too bad, and if you do, go get it. Most of us will not have used a G2 as intensively as you have.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
First off the lady from Asurion was out of her mind. The whole point of the insurance is in the event of lost, stolen or physical damage aka DROP. You could have filed a claim and paid the 200 dollar deductible. That being said, if you have good T-Mobile service in your area, run don't walk to T-Mobile with all 4 of your lines and start saving some serious change. The ONLY reason I put up with AT&T's crap is because in my area, T-Mobile is non existent so my only other option is Verizon and they are worse than AT&T.
It sounds like it could be a blessing in disguise as it will allow you to get out from under the tyranny of AT&T.

As far as the G2 vs the N5 here's what I've experienced. I haven't used the G2 for an extended period of time but I have compared it several times with my Nexus 5. The display coloring is more accurate and true to life on the N5. Comparing it to the G2, the G2 screen is slightly over saturated so at a glance it makes the N5 display look washed out. Once your eyes adjust, you will see how accurate the coloring on the N5 is. Viewing angles on the N5 are terrible, there is no hiding that. Viewing directly, the N5 screen is great but if you are viewing from an angle(especially from the corner), it washes out terribly. I've learned to live with this as it is my only real gripe with the N5. The battery will be nowhere near as good as the G2 but that is due to the size difference in batteries. If you are getting 50 plus hours with the G2 battery, then the N5 will be more than enough to get you through a busy day. Once you get used to stockish android, you will learn that less is more.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
First off the lady from Asurion was out of her mind. The whole point of the insurance is in the event of lost, stolen or physical damage aka DROP. You could have filed a claim and paid the 200 dollar deductible. That being said, if you have good T-Mobile service in your area, run don't walk to T-Mobile with all 4 of your lines and start saving some serious change. The ONLY reason I put up with AT&T's crap is because in my area, T-Mobile is non existent so my only other option is Verizon and they are worse than AT&T.
It sounds like it could be a blessing in disguise as it will allow you to get out from under the tyranny of AT&T.
t-mobile coverage is actually quite decent thus far. call quality has been on par with att as well.

As far as the G2 vs the N5 here's what I've experienced. I haven't used the G2 for an extended period of time but I have compared it several times with my Nexus 5. The display coloring is more accurate and true to life on the N5. Comparing it to the G2, the G2 screen is slightly over saturated so at a glance it makes the N5 display look washed out. Once your eyes adjust, you will see how accurate the coloring on the N5 is. Viewing angles on the N5 are terrible, there is no hiding that. Viewing directly, the N5 screen is great but if you are viewing from an angle(especially from the corner), it washes out terribly. I've learned to live with this as it is my only real gripe with the N5. The battery will be nowhere near as good as the G2 but that is due to the size difference in batteries. If you are getting 50 plus hours with the G2 battery, then the N5 will be more than enough to get you through a busy day. Once you get used to stockish android, you will learn that less is more.
so far, that has been my observations as well. i guess i liked the g2 colors better. the n5 does indeed look a bit washed out comparatively speaking. battery life is a bit of a bummer - i've been off charger for 6.5 hours and i'm down to 61%. with the g2, i'd be at around 80-85%. still trying to get the hang of the camera as well.

13 more days to decide :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is a good device. It obviously doesn't have the battery life or other features as the G2, but its definitely a device worth keeping if you can learn to like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Update: so far, I'm enjoying the N5... the only thing i really miss so far is the larger screen and what looked to be brighter colors to me. there's something *just right* about the G2's size - not too big, not too small. also, the 0.2 inch difference to me is significant because the soft buttons eat up some screen space so the G2 actually looks like it has a full 5 inch screen, whereas the N5 has a "smaller" screen than the spec'd 5 inches due to the soft buttons... and i actually miss the "funky" power/volume button placement. after using for a while, it became natural to adjust; the placement would work for left and right handed people.

i converted my phone to use ART as well. the app loading speed is more apparent in some apps than others but it is noticeable.

oh yeah... and the battery life. with my typical usage, i'd get 50-60 hours off charger with the G2 with 10% left. the best i've gotten so far with the N5 is about 24 hours off charger with 6% left (admittedly, i was messing a lot with it since i'm still configuring it to my liking)....

oh, and i still double-tap the N5 screen... grrrrrr...

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Update: so far, I'm enjoying the N5... the only thing i really miss so far is the larger screen and what looked to be brighter colors to me. there's something *just right* about the G2's size - not too big, not too small. also, the 0.2 inch difference to me is significant because the soft buttons eat up some screen space so the G2 actually looks like it has a full 5 inch screen, whereas the N5 has a "smaller" screen than the spec'd 5 inches due to the soft buttons... and i actually miss the "funky" power/volume button placement. after using for a while, it became natural to adjust; the placement would work for left and right handed people.

i converted my phone to use ART as well. the app loading speed is more apparent in some apps than others but it is noticeable.

oh yeah... and the battery life. with my typical usage, i'd get 50-60 hours off charger with the G2 with 10% left. the best i've gotten so far with the N5 is about 24 hours off charger with 6% left (admittedly, i was messing a lot with it since i'm still configuring it to my liking)....

oh, and i still double-tap the N5 screen... grrrrrr...

Root download Franco Kernel updater , This will allow color profiles. Some are preset and should give you more color saturation

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Since the Nexus 5 was a second choice for you, you may never be as satisfied with it as those of us for whom it's first choice, though you may grow to love it. If not, there's nothing wrong with going back to the G2. That's why there are different phones. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: day 14. decision - i'm keeping the N5.

i've come to really like the performance of the phone, the screen size has been adequate for my needs (mainly youtube and netflix), i'm getting right around 34 hours of battery life (including 6-8 hours while i sleep) off charger with about 3-5 hours of onscreen time depending on usage when i plug in at about 15%. i'm figuring out the camera and have taken pretty good shots that i'm happy with.

i liked it enough to recommend and buy an N5 for my wife! she's loving it (coming from iphone 4s with IOS7).

hello~~~ nexus!

next decision: should i get the nexus 7 or the lg g pad 8.3 GPe?? argh!!

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: day 14. decision - i'm keeping the N5.

i've come to really like the performance of the phone, the screen size has been adequate for my needs (mainly youtube and netflix), i'm getting right around 34 hours of battery life (including 6-8 hours while i sleep) off charger with about 3-5 hours of onscreen time depending on usage when i plug in at about 15%. i'm figuring out the camera and have taken pretty good shots that i'm happy with.

i liked it enough to recommend and buy an N5 for my wife! she's loving it (coming from iphone 4s with IOS7).

hello~~~ nexus!

next decision: should i get the nexus 7 or the lg g pad 8.3 GPe?? argh!!

Good choice. Nexus 7 most definitely.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Eh I would go with the LG g pad Google play edition since it had a bigger screen and the better cpu so in theory will be more future proof.... I don't like android tablets since the lack of tablet apps but I tried a nexus 7 for a few months and the more real estate on the g pad sounds better imo

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois