hangouts slow to start up

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I just upgraded to a nexus 5 from an iPhone 4s. Im loving it so far but had a question about hangouts. I noticed when I click to open the app there is a small delay. Usually about a second to a second and a half before my messages are displayed. On my iPhone I don't recall any delay. I know it's not really a big deal but I was just wondering if this was normal for the hangouts app? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
By the way, for me, Hangouts takes about a half second to start up and show all conversations.

Posted via Android Central App

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the delay on first start up of hangouts is pretty normal. Part of the reason many people use a 3rd party sms app instead

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! No, that isn't normal. Try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Hangouts, and tapping Clear Cache.

If that doesn't work, try clearing the system cache partition. Keep in mind that this process seems to take a bit longer on the N5, perhaps up to 30 seconds or so. https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v2/documents/9578

I cleared the catche for the app, no difference. How do I clear the system cache partition? Thanks

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using evolvesms which is pretty new but liking it so far. Textra or 8ssms also get rates pretty highly but there are a few threads on here about the alternatives

aaron lennon1

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. When I start Hangouts on my S4 it can be 30 seconds or more before the conversations are displayed and when I select one it can take another 30 seconds. I have a lot of contacts and wonder if this is the problem. This started happening on the last hangouts updated a few weeks ago.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I just got fed up with hangouts and switched. I tried pretty much every well known 3rd party app before settling on hello SMS, which I really like.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This only happens on mine if I have a billion open threads up, several of which are hundreds and hundreds of messages deep. Hangouts then slows. If I begin deleting threads or old/past conversations, and restart my phone for good measure, the lag in Hangouts ceases. I tend to be one of those users which keeps messages and threads for a very long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan