1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default hangouts slow to start up

Hi all,

I just upgraded to a nexus 5 from an iPhone 4s. Im loving it so far but had a question about hangouts. I noticed when I click to open the app there is a small delay. Usually about a second to a second and a half before my messages are displayed. On my iPhone I don't recall any delay. I know it's not really a big deal but I was just wondering if this was normal for the hangouts app? Thanks

Default Re: hangouts slow to start up

Welcome to Android Central! No, that isn't normal. Try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Hangouts, and tapping Clear Cache.

If that doesn't work, try clearing the system cache partition. Keep in mind that this process seems to take a bit longer on the N5, perhaps up to 30 seconds or so.

Posted via Android Central App

By the way, for me, Hangouts takes about a half second to start up and show all conversations.

I think the delay on first start up of hangouts is pretty normal. Part of the reason many people use a 3rd party sms app instead

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! No, that isn't normal. Try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Hangouts, and tapping Clear Cache.

If that doesn't work, try clearing the system cache partition. Keep in mind that this process seems to take a bit longer on the N5, perhaps up to 30 seconds or so.

I cleared the catche for the app, no difference. How do I clear the system cache partition? Thanks
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    I think the delay on first start up of hangouts is pretty normal. Part of the reason many people use a 3rd party sms app instead

What other SMS apps are good for android?

I'm using evolvesms which is pretty new but liking it so far. Textra or 8ssms also get rates pretty highly but there are a few threads on here about the alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I cleared the catche for the app, no difference. How do I clear the system cache partition? Thanks
    Here you go

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Here you go

Does it matter that I'm a sprint user?

No, it should work.

I am having the same problem. When I start Hangouts on my S4 it can be 30 seconds or more before the conversations are displayed and when I select one it can take another 30 seconds. I have a lot of contacts and wonder if this is the problem. This started happening on the last hangouts updated a few weeks ago.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I just got fed up with hangouts and switched. I tried pretty much every well known 3rd party app before settling on hello SMS, which I really like.

This only happens on mine if I have a billion open threads up, several of which are hundreds and hundreds of messages deep. Hangouts then slows. If I begin deleting threads or old/past conversations, and restart my phone for good measure, the lag in Hangouts ceases. I tend to be one of those users which keeps messages and threads for a very long time.