Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Low
  • 1 Post By kembry
  • 1 Post By gmurphy0487
  • 2 Post By remipmc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    remipmc's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    I was an original G1 owner on Tmobile, then Evo and Evo 3D on Sprint. Got tired of android and decided to switch to iOS and owned a iPhone 4S, and 5. My mom wanted to upgrade so I decided to buy an off contract Nexus 5 and give her my iPhone 5. My first impression of the N5 was initially good, but things went south quickly. I will say the boot times have shrunk significantly, which was one of my major frustrations with the Evo line. I got everything up and running fairly quickly, almost as if I never left. However I did notice the camera was not very snappy, so I checked what version of KitKat i was on. I was running 4.4, which i knew needed an update. I try to run the OTA update with no success, just a failed to download error. WHen I hit retry nothing happened. So i go online to hear this is a fairly common issue, and proceed to push the update using ADB. It went fairly smoothly, but once again I was let down with the requirement of having to push an update rather it just working the way it was supposed to. Meanwhile I also noticed my wifi at home was very sketchy at best, even though my iPhones never had any issues, my N5 was constantly dropping signal. Still havent solved this issue, but followed up on a few leads. Overall, I was reminded why I left android in the first place and unfortunately even the Google flagship phone let me down. I will keep it and work through these issues, but it definitely convinced me to consider going back to iOS when the time/price is right.
  2. #2  
    Shicong Lu's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    welcome back

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    1) How long have you had the phone that boot times have increased so much? I've had the phone since launch and boot up times have not changed for me at all.
    2) I haven't heard of any OTA problems except for the beginning where it took people forever to get 4.4.2. I did the dumbass thing of clearing google frameworks because i was impatient and ended up ruining my phone for a bit.
    3) For the wifi constantly dropping i don't think thats a fault on android, i feel its more LG's fault. I have some weird impression that LG might have purposely tampered with some devices because they knew it would sell better than their flagship. I definitely feel their hardware wasn't up to snuff. However, i have no problems with my wifi in my home nor my campus. I pretty much get it everywhere i go.
    4) The cameras been known to have issues. Has it gotten better in your perspective with 4.4.2?
    TheEijk likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Thank goodness there's choice. I'm a huge fan of Android and recommend it daily, but it's not for everyone. You may find your home in iOS, which is perfectly fine. I'm on the Nexus 4 and there are a handful of issues I have with the phone I can live with. I started out with the iPhone 3Gs which eventually had issues I couldn't live with and prompted my move. Each OS has its issues and headaches. Pick your poison.

    If you need to unload your phone, let me know. I've been eyeing the Nexus 5.

    Posted via Android Central App
    benhmadison likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Low View Post
    1) How long have you had the phone that boot times have increased so much? I've had the phone since launch and boot up times have not changed for me at all.
    I believe the OP was saying that on the plus side, the Nexus 5 boots up much faster than his prior Android devices.

    It's a bummer to hear about those problems--it sounds to me like you may have a glitchy unit. Have you looked into getting a replacement? I know this doesn't help you, but my N5 has been problem free so far after 1 month.

    Have you tried wiping the system cache partition? Always worth a try if things are acting kind of goofy. Reset: Google Nexus 5 | T-Mobile Support
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by remipmc View Post
    I was an original G1 owner on Tmobile, then Evo and Evo 3D on Sprint. Got tired of android and decided to switch to iOS and owned a iPhone 4S, and 5. My mom wanted to upgrade so I decided to buy an off contract Nexus 5 and give her my iPhone 5. My first impression of the N5 was initially good, but things went south quickly. I will say the boot times have shrunk significantly, which was one of my major frustrations with the Evo line. I got everything up and running fairly quickly, almost as if I never left. However I did notice the camera was not very snappy, so I checked what version of KitKat i was on. I was running 4.4, which i knew needed an update. I try to run the OTA update with no success, just a failed to download error. WHen I hit retry nothing happened. So i go online to hear this is a fairly common issue, and proceed to push the update using ADB. It went fairly smoothly, but once again I was let down with the requirement of having to push an update rather it just working the way it was supposed to. Meanwhile I also noticed my wifi at home was very sketchy at best, even though my iPhones never had any issues, my N5 was constantly dropping signal. Still havent solved this issue, but followed up on a few leads. Overall, I was reminded why I left android in the first place and unfortunately even the Google flagship phone let me down. I will keep it and work through these issues, but it definitely convinced me to consider going back to iOS when the time/price is right.
    I haven't had a single one of these issues myself. The cool thing is, you don't have to turn off, and on your phone very often so boot times really shouldn't be that big of a problem. The update thing probably isn't that common as you've heard/making it out to be because not many people on here made any mention of it whatsoever and usually if there's a problem, it's EVERYWHERE on these forums. The wi-fi shouldn't be giving you fits but if it is, you may have gotten a lemon. You shouldn't be having any problems with it unless it's not playing nice with your router for some reason.

    Android is definitely made for people who enjoy tinkering. More often than not, the tinkering isn't necessary to be able to do the basics, but it is an option if you're having problems. I love that if there's a problem, you can almost always fix it pretty easily as opposed to having to set up an appt with a Genius to get it fixed. You could probably sell it online for more than you paid (I see tons of N5's getting sold for 450-500 on my local classifieds) and then wait for the iPhone 6.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  7. #7  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I believe the OP was saying that on the plus side, the Nexus 5 boots up much faster than his prior Android devices.

    It's a bummer to hear about those problems--it sounds to me like you may have a glitchy unit. Have you looked into getting a replacement? I know this doesn't help you, but my N5 has been problem free so far after 1 month.

    Have you tried wiping the system cache partition? Always worth a try if things are acting kind of goofy. Reset: Google Nexus 5 | T-Mobile Support
    Oops. My mistake.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    remipmc's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    I am not throwing in the towel just yet. I am not going to return the phone because wifi is not a huge issue for me. Until I have had a chance to do a few more things that I saw may help, I wouldnt call this a lemon by any means. i read that some WeMo devices can interfere with wifi, so I need to see about that first.

    And Yes- i meant boot times from Evo days took forever and the N5 boots up sooo much faster. It wasnt a complaint, it was actually me citing a noted improvement.

    I may go ahead and just root it, which should also do a full reset. I will follow up once i have had a chance to do those things. I was just venting, not trying to **** anyone off.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    remipmc's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Low View Post
    1) How long have you had the phone that boot times have increased so much? I've had the phone since launch and boot up times have not changed for me at all.
    2) I haven't heard of any OTA problems except for the beginning where it took people forever to get 4.4.2. I did the dumbass thing of clearing google frameworks because i was impatient and ended up ruining my phone for a bit.
    3) For the wifi constantly dropping i don't think thats a fault on android, i feel its more LG's fault. I have some weird impression that LG might have purposely tampered with some devices because they knew it would sell better than their flagship. I definitely feel their hardware wasn't up to snuff. However, i have no problems with my wifi in my home nor my campus. I pretty much get it everywhere i go.
    4) The cameras been known to have issues. Has it gotten better in your perspective with 4.4.2?

    1. already clarified
    2. i was trying to go from 4.4 to 4.4.2, but just because it isnt on this forum doesnt mean it didnt impact other people. i found plenty of users on the google forums that had the same issue. the update was showing an error "unable to download update" and when I would hit retry nothing would happen.
    3. not trying to place blame, just want it to work.
    4. yes but i need to try a few more action shots. with 4.4, the camera was too slow to capture a moving subject without a significant blur. haven't been able to test with 4.4.2, but the overall focusing is much improved and i hope the shutter speed imporved as well.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    I never had any issues with wifi, I did had some issues with lte switching back and forth, but I did mess with the band to get spark on the phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    One suggestion I read on these forums for the WiFi issue may help you. Go into the advanced WiFi settings and make sure avoid poor connections isn't checked. Some people were saying it would drop connection on a 2 bar connection.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    remipmc's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Update: disconnected the WeMo devices and now Wi-Fi seems to work fine, looks like they were somehow causing an issue.

    Posted via Android Central App
    gmurphy0487 and B. Diddy like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Hi ,

    errors while building the android source code .

    I trying to build the android source code in ubuntu 13.10, but i got so many errors
    i have solved some of them then i got strucked . Now i want your help to build the androi source code,

    before to that i will tel my system specification :
    i am using Pentium D machine with 4 GB RAM with 50 GB free space in hard drive
    using ubuntu 13.10 which is of 64 bit OS


    And what are the packages i have installed

    Python 2.7.5+, GNU Make 3.81, java version "1.6.0_45"

    And i have followed the procedure for build such as :

    a) G41M-Combo:~/bin/source $
    : source build/envsetup.sh
    b) G41M-Combo:~/bin/source $
    : lunch
    c) G41M-Combo:~/bin/source $
    : 13
    d) G41M-Combo:~/bin/source $
    : make -j3

    in 4th step i am using pentium D machine it is of 2 core so i have tried make -j2 also
    but i did not got much difference
    thoes errors are
    No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE manta
    host C: acp <= build/tools/acp/acp.c
    host C++: libhost <= build/libs/host/pseudolocalize.cpp
    host C: libhost <= build/libs/host/CopyFile.c
    i686-linux-gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
    make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/acp_intermediates/acp.o] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    i686-linux-g++: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
    make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/pseudolocalize.o] Error 1
    i686-linux-gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
    make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libhost_intermediates/CopyFile.o] Error 1


    your help will be greatly appretiated to me

    Thanks in advance
  14. #14  

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by samdza View Post
    your help will be greatly appretiated to me
    Welcome to Android Central! This isn't the best place for you to post, since it's a Nexus 5 subforum, and you added your post onto a thread about being disappointed with the Nexus 5. Try posting in one of these other subforums instead:

    Ubuntu for Android - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    General Help and How To - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

    Pick one of those to post in, but try not to post the same question in all of them. Good luck!
  15. #15  
    Johnly's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,689 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: OG Android user left for iOS, returns to Nexus 5...disappointed

    Choice is a beautiful thing, whether it be android or iOS.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Best case for Nexus 5?
    By ianhanson85 in forum Nexus 5 Accessories
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 09:25 AM
  2. The phone, should you choose to accept it....
    By Golfdriver97 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions