Help needed- limit of 5mb when sending attachments/files by email

Taloliver

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
hi all

loving the new nexus- however I can't send files/attachments over 5mb...I run my phones on the Nexus through the main outlook account and are I am using an 'exchange' system/server...any help would be appreciated...?

TheEijk

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there a limit on the file size? Some ISPs block attachments larger than 10 mb (for example).

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Gmail has a 25 MB size limit, so unclear why you're experiencing this issue.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks- but there are no restrictions when sending from my PC/main computer...?

It can still depend on the way the Exchange server is configured as well as your email client. For example, it is possible to set different size limits for a client using the Exchange SMTP connector vs one using the SMTP virtual server. See How to set size limits for messages in Exchange Server for more info.

Are you getting an error message? If so, what exactly does it say?

Taloliver

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks n4newbie- but I have recently changed from an iPhone was able to send emails uo to 30mb.
re: error message It just says- 'unable to send, as over limit of 5mb'...?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's possible the iPhone's Exchange client uses the Exchange Connector whereas (possibly) Android is using the SMTP virtual server. It would be helpful if your coprorate IT department would be willing to check their mailbox settings (as in my previous post) and let you know what they are.

I presume you are using the default email client on the N5?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just did some test. While the Gmail client don't have 5MB limit the default Email client does have built-in 5MB size limit (I'm using the Live mail) regardless the mail server. Unbelievable.

Taloliver

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both.

Checked with exchange provider- there is no limit set for any individual device.
It does seem as though there is a limit set on the size file/attachment which you can send from the mail app.

Any ideas if it is possible to increase the limit on file/attachment(s) size when sending emails...?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know of. There is no settings I can find to increase it. It seems to be hard coded. Your only alternative is to use 3rd party mail apps.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I use a GoDaddy server and have no problem with picture size. But with the mail server on my Nexus 5, I have a file limit of 5Mb. Some of my Nexus 5 images are larger than 5Mb. What a bummer. I can't email them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mikecosmo

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have experienced this 5mb limit with sending from my IMAP work email as well. Seems a little ridiculous and a bit disappointing.

Any recommendations for a good 3rd party email account

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
there's a usual limit of 4mb attachment of *any* email from my experience; unless that's changed over recent years..

yesterday, i was grabbing lunch at a deli & saw two workers from a nearby school union, i remember two years ago, they were rallying for better pay & i filmed it & posted it on g+.. i mentioned it to them, & one of them asked to be emailed that video..

but from g+ it tried to sent the actual **video attachment** of 6 mb, too large for the limit of 4mb..

my solution?

i uploaded that same video to google drive right from my phone, THEN sent the link to that guy via email, for him to download..

g-drive is a work around..

~EDIT~

i just asked a co-worker to read what i typed in here..

he said, what i typed doesn't entirely hold water;

it depends on the system sending & receiving..

he claims gmail can send & receive files from gmail to gmail of up to 10mb (?).. i don't know the validity of that.. the email i sent from my gmail to that guy's gmail at the deli was paused at *sending* for quite some tyme..

~shrugz shoulderz~

brookssw

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I can say with certainty that there is a limit built into the default email client. I know with 100% surety that my sending server and receiving server can support attachments of 50 MB (actually 75MB to allow for overhead from MIME encoding), and I am right now unable to send an email with 22MB attached, trying to send it from myself, to myself. However, I can use a third party client to send without issue, after I change the upper limit in the settings, settings which aren't available to change in the default email client.

Honestly it feels kind of like a subtle push to force people to use gmail to send large files, in the hopes they'll just switch altogether.

MisTodd1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
You must download the email before you can download the attachment. I am trying to send a message. I have switched to this after having an Iphone. I have had android for 2 years. I want my apple back. :(

Enverex

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Holy christ, so many wrong answers here.

Anyway, from anyone coming in from Google like I did and reading through the nonsense above (with the exception of one or two posts): The crappy Android "Mail" app has a hard-limit of 5MB, it simply won't let you attach any files over that size. It's ~nothing~ to do with your ISP, SMTP host or anything else (although they will have their own limits). You'll simply need to use a different app entirely.

The Technician

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
This thread came up at the top in my google search results.
Search Results.png

I have a few things to add.
1) Google makes Android
2) Google wants as much of your personal data as it can get its virtual hands on. Why? Because Google sells you every second of every minute you use their services and browse the internet.
3) Google hard codes the email clients size limit to 5Mb for any email other than it's own Gmail which has 5 times the size limit, thus forcing you to use their services effectively gaining ownership of your private data (recipients email address, content of the email, including attachments)

How else do you think Google pays for research and development of the products & services they offer you for "free"?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08