Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nexus 5 on Sprint issues

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    How are you deleting old voicemails without opening the app?
    Viewing the voicemail from the phone's call log there's a trash bin in the top right corner.

Me to

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

I hate how I need to install an app to use voicemail. This was very poorly designed by somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by jcblack3310 View Post
    I hate how I need to install an app to use voicemail. This was very poorly designed by somebody.

With all due respect you bought the wrong phone.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Before I installed Google Voice Lite, I got regular voicemail notifications and it simply called my number to retrieve them. You do not have this option? Does your Nexus 5 show up in MySprint as a Nexus 5 or a generic phone?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

I looked at so many reviews and none of them mentioned the lack of voicemail...

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

The phone shows up as a nexus 5. I've talked to many reps and no one can figure it out. I even talked to a guy that works for Google and he had no clue.

My issue seems to be similar. My phone says it's connected to LTE... UNTIL I make a phone call, the the LTE symbol goes away, and I'm unable to access data while I'm on a call. I've been to two service centers, and spent two hours on the phone. Complete waste of time. In the end, I was told that like the iphones.... the Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE on Sprint.

I

I looked at so many reviews and none of them mentioned the lack of voicemail...

Voicemail works fine on mine, just no visual voicemail like other Sprint phones have.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AldousSnow View Post
    My issue seems to be similar. My phone says it's connected to LTE... UNTIL I make a phone call, the the LTE symbol goes away, and I'm unable to access data while I'm on a call. I've been to two service centers, and spent two hours on the phone. Complete waste of time. In the end, I was told that like the iphones.... the Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE on Sprint.

I
    That's normal behavior for all of the tri-band Sprint Spark devices. The phone only has a single radio path and uses CSFB (or eCSFB depending on the Network Vision market you're in) to basically "check in" to the CDMA network every once in awhile to check for texts and incoming calls while you're on LTE.

Your phone isn't capable of SV-LTE (simultaneous voice / LTE) which means when a call is happening, the single radio in your phone is being utilized on the CDMA network to make that call, not being connected to LTE. LTE only carries data, not voice. So just like iPhones, which you mentioned, when you're in a call, you are not connected to LTE. When the call ends, it pops right back on the LTE network. You can get simultaneous data on your phone if you are connected to a WiFi network while on a call, though.

This configuration in phones is what allows Sprint to have all three of their LTE frequencies supported on the phone (800mhz, 1900mhz, and 2.5ghz) and has the added bonus of having better battery life than phones with multiple frequencies being connected all the time.

There were some initial issues with CSFB in some markets for Sprint when the tri-band devices were rolled out, but those have been fixed to my knowledge.

If you have additional questions on how your phone works or what's happening with the Sprint Spark or Network Vision rollouts, visit S4GRU.com. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    That's normal behavior for all of the tri-band Sprint Spark devices. The phone only has a single radio path and uses CSFB (or eCSFB depending on the Network Vision market you're in) to basically "check in" to the CDMA network every once in awhile to check for texts and incoming calls while you're on LTE.

Your phone isn't capable of SV-LTE (simultaneous voice / LTE) which means when a call is happening, the single radio in your phone is being utilized on the CDMA network to make that call, not being connected to LTE. LTE only carries data, not voice. So just like iPhones, which you mentioned, when you're in a call, you are not connected to LTE. When the call ends, it pops right back on the LTE network. You can get simultaneous data on your phone if you are connected to a WiFi network while on a call, though.

This configuration in phones is what allows Sprint to have all three of their LTE frequencies supported on the phone (800mhz, 1900mhz, and 2.5ghz) and has the added bonus of having better battery life than phones with multiple frequencies being connected all the time.

There were some initial issues with CSFB in some markets for Sprint when the tri-band devices were rolled out, but those have been fixed to my knowledge.

If you have additional questions on how your phone works or what's happening with the Sprint Spark or Network Vision rollouts, visit S4GRU.com. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    This was very helpful! Thanks. I was actually thinking of picking up a LG G2, but I would still be in the same both. This may be a deal breaker for me, since I need to have data during a conference call. I'll give another try over the next two days and see if o can deal with the lack of LTE.

Seriously, don't understand how NO ONE @SPRINT knew this.

The problem I had with Sprint's data was I would get 15 Mbps and go a few miles down the road and then only get 1 Mbps. I too am in a Spark launch area and the speed was just so inconsistent. With T-Mobile in my area (Tampa, FL) I get faster speed and it's consistent. Not to mention 3g on T-Mobile is faster than Sprints LTE, again in my experience.
    I actually live in Dallas, Texas which they list as a Sprint SPARK city/market... and it sucks... I actually work right off the DFW Airport (only one of the busiest airports in the world) and the coverage is horrendous at work..... Even if I go outside the front, back or sides of the building their coverage is horrible... I can sit and watch airplanes taking off from the airport all day long and get no signal about roughly 1 mile from work is a major mall and I get no signal inside the mall at all (again all inside a major metro city) but if you go two miles towards Downtown Dallas or Downtown Fort Worth my Signal is greatly improved... but there are a lot of little pockets all over DFW where you completely drop signal or go to such slow speeds it's horrendous.. on my back porch the signal is weak but if I just walk to the end of the driveway to the mailbox it goes up.... if I want to text a picture if I am in my house or on my porch it will fail.. So I have to walk to the end of the driveway to actually get enough of a cellular signal (Amazing it doesn't send text via my home WiFi) to send a simple picture....

I had installed Google Voice as I've used it on every device I've owned over the last few years and I guess on my Nexus 5 I just forgot to set it up properly... I had people complaining they had left me messages (and I got their missed calls) and for the heck of it I checked the Sprint voice mail.... After going through the set up as it had never been set up.. I had 15 voice mails in my Sprint box but no notification that I had anything.... lol... Ooops.... and yeah you have to just CHECK your voice mail... With Sprint you get NO notification at all that you have voice mail.... I've since got my Google Voice set up properly...

Sprint was just always the better option financially.... Unlimited talk, text and web for roughly $60 a month after my corporate discount... If you get on a good Framily plan with others it goes down to $45 per month for unlimited everything..... or $25 if you can deal with just 1 gig per month..... Between WiFi just about every where I could live on just the 3 gig $10 per month add on...
    Nexus 6, 64 GB Midnight Blue

Final straw: Couldn't use navigation while on the phone. That's a deal breaker for me. I've been doing that since 2010, and literally had to hang up on an important call to avoid getting lost.

Final straw: Couldn't use navigation while on the phone. That's a deal breaker for me. I've been doing that since 2010, and literally had to hang up on an important call to avoid getting lost.

How long was the phone call? Google Maps should have cached map data, which would have prevent you from having problems while using gps and being on a phone call - unless the phone call was long enough to deplete the cached map data.

I wasn't able to initiate navigation, because I was on the phone. So basically.... hang up, then use GPS, then return to call with cache navigation data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I wasn't able to initiate navigation, because I was on the phone. So basically.... hang up, then use GPS, then return to call with cache navigation data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    I just made a test phone call and was able to activate navigation using my nexus 5. Granted I am on T-Mobile and not Sprint, but that shouldn't make a difference in this case.

I just made a test phone call and was able to activate navigation using my nexus 5. Granted I am on T-Mobile and not Sprint, but that shouldn't make a difference in this case.
    T-Mobile is GSM. Completely different story. Sprint is CDMA and as someone described in detail, the technology is not there to do data and voice. At some point Sprint has plans to move voice to LTE which will allow simultaneous voice and data but that won't happen for some time still.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    T-Mobile is GSM. Completely different story. Sprint is CDMA and as someone described in detail, the technology is not there to do data and voice. At some point Sprint has plans to move voice to LTE which will allow simultaneous voice and data but that won't happen for some time still.

You are correct sir, that's what I get for posting before my morning caffeine.
    gidgiddonihah likes this.

You are correct sir, that's what I get for posting before my morning caffeine.
    I so understand.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

A quick Google search leads me to believe this is a Sprint issue so maybe others can help. But when it comes to Hangouts, once I get to the character limit it should continue typing and split my texts into multiple texts but it doesn't.

Is this a hangout issue or sprint issue? I've since started using a 3rd party app as sending multiple texts halfway through one was just so annoying. Really wish this was fixed by either Google or Sprint as I love hangouts and want to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daden04 View Post
    A quick Google search leads me to believe this is a Sprint issue so maybe others can help. But when it comes to Hangouts, once I get to the character limit it should continue typing and split my texts into multiple texts but it doesn't.

Is this a hangout issue or sprint issue? I've since started using a 3rd party app as sending multiple texts halfway through one was just so annoying. Really wish this was fixed by either Google or Sprint as I love hangouts and want to take advantage of it.

Its not a sprint issue. SMS has a HARD LIMIT of 160 characters. That's the "S" in SMS, short. All nexxii have had this issue where they don't split your messages automatically. You need a 3rd party app, like go messenger or something like that to do what you want. Sorry I don't know of any messaging apps. But I'm sure there are plenty found in the play store.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Quote Originally Posted by maverick7526 View Post
    Its not a sprint issue. SMS has a HARD LIMIT of 160 characters. That's the "S" in SMS, short. All nexxii have had this issue where they don't split your messages automatically. You need a 3rd party app, like go messenger or something like that to do what you want. Sorry I don't know of any messaging apps. But I'm sure there are plenty found in the play store.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
    Appreciate the reply. I've been using a 3rd party app for a couple weeks now. What a shame though as I wish I could take advantage of hangouts.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

I just updated hangout and it fixed the limit of characters you can text with. Try updating the app!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaramie3 View Post
    I just updated hangout and it fixed the limit of characters you can text with. Try updating the app!

Are you on Sprint? I believe I read somewhere Sprint limited this stuff for whatever reason. Or am I completely wrong here?

While it's true SMS is limited to 160 characters per message, GSM carriers automatically split messages over the limit and send without issue. CDMA, or at least Sprint, does not support this. I too had this issue and switched to T-Mobile and could then type out a SMS over 160 characters (this was long before the recent hangouts update that supposedly fixed it).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast