Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  • 1 Post By foxbat121
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Microsoft Exchange problems with Nexus 5

I recently switched from a Galaxy Note II to the Nexus 5. Although I like the Nexus 5 a lot, I was unaware before I bought it about some of the issues it has with Microsoft Exchange. I've read a lot of posts/complaints online from various places but it seems the problems are inconsistent (some people have problems, some don't) and no one has a definitive fix. I was having trouble synching Exchange with my Nexus 5, so I have started using AquaMail instead of the stock e-mail app (I actually connect to Exchange via IMAP with AquaMail, which is just fine) -- but I still rely on Exchange synching for calendar and contacts. Unfortunately, I can't get my Nexus 5 to do that unless I manually click "synchronize" in my calendar and contacts apps (which isn't very convenient!). Any suggestions???

Default Re: Microsoft Exchange problems with Nexus 5

ddoouugg,
    Exchange and syncing can be very complicated. I administer the MS Exchange server where I work, so I know the ins and outs for getting a phone to work properly with it. I suggest speaking with someone from your IT department, preferably someone with knowledge about your Exchange settings. It is a very good place to start trouble shooting.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, nickf126. My Exchange provider is (a hosted account). My Galaxy Note II worked perfectly with the same account, so I'm not sure why the Nexus 5 should create a problem where one didn't exist before. Any suggestions about what, specifically, I should try to discuss with the Intermedia support folks?

Did you look here? . Tap Wireless Devices on the left and then Android.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoouugg View Post
    Thanks, nickf126. My Exchange provider is (a hosted account). My Galaxy Note II worked perfectly with the same account, so I'm not sure why the Nexus 5 should create a problem where one didn't exist before. Any suggestions about what, specifically, I should try to discuss with the Intermedia support folks?
    Google's stock email client with Exchange support traditionally has been lacking in features. So all major Android OEMs have their own email client, not related to Google's email app. Samsung, HTC and Motorola all have their specially built email apps. My personal experience is that Samsung's app can be temperamental from version to version. HTC's has been quite stable and better compatibility. Motorola simply OEMs an existing 3rd party app.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Did you look here? . Tap Wireless Devices on the left and then Android.
    Thanks, yes, I've followed the Android instructions there. Nothing specific to Nexus 5, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Google's stock email client with Exchange support traditionally has been lacking in features. So all major Android OEMs have their own email client, not related to Google's email app. Samsung, HTC and Motorola all have their specially built email apps. My personal experience is that Samsung's app can be temperamental from version to version. HTC's has been quite stable and better compatibility. Motorola simply OEMs an existing 3rd party app.
    I liked the Samsung e-mail app on my Galaxy Note II (same as my wife's Galaxy S4). Is there any way possible to get it installed on my Nexus 5?

Well, all I can offer is that I use the stock email client (on both Nexus 4 and Nexus 5) to access corporate Exchange mail, calendar, and contacts and have no problems whatsoever.
    ddoouugg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddoouugg View Post
    I liked the Samsung e-mail app on my Galaxy Note II (same as my wife's Galaxy S4). Is there any way possible to get it installed on my Nexus 5?
    Unfortunately, no. They are for Samsung devices only. For best exchange compatibility, Touchdown is the app to go. But it is expensive ($20) and the UI is rather dated.

I don't have any problem using stock N5 email app with my corporate exchange server and Hotmail server.
    ddoouugg likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Do any of you using the stock email app have issues with Exchange meeting/calendar invites? If I receive a meeting request via email, there are no details about the invite (date, time or location). I am given the option for the following in the body of the email:

Calendar Invite - "View in Calendar"
    Going? - "Yes", "Maybe" or "No"

If I choose "View in Calendar", my calendar will open to the date, but will not show the proposed time block, just what is already scheduled for that date. If I choose "Yes" to accept, there is a small prompt stating "responding to sender" (or something similar), however it never shows up in the calendar.

eMail version v6.1-937116
    Calendar version 201308023

Anyone experience anything similar?