Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default poor signal

not having much luck with phones. this is my 10th handset in a year. love the n5 so far well apart from the rubbish signal. do you guys think an update will sort the signal issue ?

Global Posts
    2,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Default Re: poor signal

Quote Originally Posted by dave3389 View Post
    not having much luck with phones. this is my 10th handset in a year. love the n5 so far well apart from the rubbish signal. do you guys think an update will sort the signal issue ?
    To some extent, yes. You can only make a radio as good as the hardware allows. The radios in the nexus 5 aren't amazing, but they aren't bad either. I think the signal will improve over time as google works to optimize everything

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

If you've tried that many phones and are still having signal issues, it's very likely that it's your carrier. Have you ever considered changing?

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by 2:

i'm the polar opposite of you. the n5 seems to have the ability to utilize the 2-3 bars that i have at my house with stride. my previous phone also had similar signal strength but i was constantly dropping calls and pretty much nothing would load up. i would miss calls and texts messages as well. but with the n5, i have none of those issues with the same amount of bars.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

its not my network, i was using the z1 up till wednesday with no issues on said network,
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

you are lucky, i really want this phone to work for me love everything about it, im sure with an update they can make the radio better. just a little worried for now about missing imortant calls texts etc

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

you are lucky, i really want this phone to work for me love everything about it, im sure with an update they can make the radio better. just a little worried for now about missing imortant calls texts etc
    A software update won't help much. The hardware in the radios is what controls the signal strength and the only OEM that really stands out in that is Motorola

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

agh dam well i have 14 days to send it back, will try another sim just to rule that out and see if signal improves over the next five days or so

Quote Originally Posted by DroidArmy View Post
    The radios in the nexus 5 aren't amazing, but they aren't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Multiple (and I mean dozens) of threads here, XDA and even Google's Product forums disagree with that statement . The radio, in general, is written pretty well but it has quite a few bugs Google/LG need to fix. Unless you mean the radio hardware which is a different story. Very solid choice by LG/Google. They just need to work on the bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:
    dave3389 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

so i should just stick with it till they sort the bugs ?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

You could, but it probably won't improve much. Like someone mentioned above, you can only make the radios as good as hardware allows

dave3389 likes this.

Depends. Can you explain what rubbish signal means? Are you getting 'No Signal' or 'Emergency calls Only'? Or is it just fewer bars? Or is it you get dropped calls?

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

i had the z1 up till wednesday full signal in the house, got the n5 wednesday have no bars atm sometimes it will go to one bar may be 2 its not to bad out the house, but still not as good as the z1 was.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

an also the battery, the phone is always searching for a network used 30% battery in searching which is annoying

A replacement may fix your problem. The N5 should have very similar coverage/signal strength. Also something to consider is devices sold and branded by the carrier gives an inaccurate bar count to make it look like the signal is stronger than it is.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

think ill send it back and get it replaced and see how that goes. all i want is a phone that works now to be honest had so many faulty handsets in the last 11 months its been insane

Not guaranteeing anything but it could do the trick. Plus Google extends your return policy with RMA devices.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

phoned them just now they are sending another handset i hope it works, i really like this phone. i dont want to go back to ios
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

not much luck with the second handset, found an app to switch the signal to 2g ill see how that goes