Getting a nexus 5 - need help

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I will be getting a nexus 5 in the next few weeks. I am coming from an iphone 5 so i just have a few questions i need answers to. Would be very grateful to anyone who can help.

Syncing music from my iphone to my nexus 5 - How do i do this? I have read that lots of people use google music (i think that's what it is called? the cloud based system) but I would rather have the music on my phone and not use data in order to access it. So is there a program that can do this?

Photos - is the best way to get these onto the nexus 5, Dropbox or is there a better option that i can use to download them?

I already use gmail and google calendars so I am pretty set for that. Is there anything else that i have missed? I am sure that there are plenty of people here who have switched from the iphone, so please share how you made the switch!

Oh and I really dislike google hangouts - what is a better app for sending text messages/MMS?

Thanks for your help!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I will be getting a nexus 5 in the next few weeks. I am coming from an iphone 5 so i just have a few questions i need answers to. Would be very grateful to anyone who can help.

Syncing music from my iphone to my nexus 5 - How do i do this? I have read that lots of people use google music (i think that's what it is called? the cloud based system) but I would rather have the music on my phone and not use data in order to access it. So is there a program that can do this?

Photos - is the best way to get these onto the nexus 5, Dropbox or is there a better option that i can use to download them?

I already use gmail and google calendars so I am pretty set for that. Is there anything else that i have missed? I am sure that there are plenty of people here who have switched from the iphone, so please share how you made the switch!

Oh and I really dislike google hangouts - what is a better app for sending text messages/MMS?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to Android Central :)
1) You can use Play Music (Same app) and pin it to the device. This will download it to your phone so you don't need to stream it
2) Dropbox or Google + work great
3) Handcent or Textra have good reviews as well

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
1) You can use Play Music (Same app) and pin it to the device. This will download it to your phone so you don't need to stream it
2) Dropbox or Google + work great
3) Handcent or Textra have good reviews as well

Just to add on to what UJ95X said
  1. I would recommend Play music as well (just because the music is available for you on other devices as well). But if you don't want to do that, you can always create a folder on your phone, and store your music there. Play music app can play local (on device) music as well.
  2. If you want to store pictures locally on your phone, just connect with a USB cable, and transfer pictures onto the phone. Again, I would recommend G+ or dropbox or copy or other cloud storage, just because the pictures will be available on other devices too, and don't suck up your phone's storage. Regardless, I would highly encourage you to enable G+ instant upload so that all pictures you take are auto-backed up onto G+ (similar functionality is available with dropbox or copy too)

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
!

you can download 'music manager' onto the computer from google play music where you can locate your itunes & upload your songs to the play music cloud (can upload upto 20,000 songs for free). From there, you can access your music anywhere as long you have internet & download specific playlists/songs to your device so you can listen to it offline.

Also, 8sms is a great replacement app for text messaging because it looks exactly like the stock sms app.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can pin music from your Google Music account so you can download it over WiFI and use it later. You can also just transfer it directly. Install ES File Explorer which will allow you to copy files from your PC using SAMBA (Shared Folders in Windows Speak). BTW make sure you get the 32G N5, 16G is really limiting.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
This particular type of question demonstrates one of my three primary complaints about iOS devices: lack of an accessible file structure and lack of file sharing.

To answer your question, I will start by offering a suggestion about how to get your files TO an android device: simply plug in the phone to your computer and drag and drop music, pictures, movies, documents, etc... to the appropriate folder. I find this to be the simplest and quickest ways to move large numbers of files to a new android phone. I would not use this method for periodic backup and syncing, but for initial setup, I find it hard to beat.

The more interesting question is how you get them off your iPhone. Do you sync your files with iTunes? With iCloud? Some other way? None? If you already keep your iPhone files backed up by some method, then there may be a relatively simple way to access them from your computer so that you can add them to your new android phone. If you currently have no backup copies of your music and pictures, my recommendation would be to sync your phone to iTunes and back it up to your computer. From these backup files you should be able to drag them to your new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae