Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Incoming Call Quality

there's been one thing that has been bugging me since i got the phone - incoming call quality. via the earpiece, voices sound like they are speaking on speaker phone or talking in a large empty room. volume is fine but something about the voice quality sounds... hollow... or like you are using a bluetooth headset in a windy area so you crank up the volume... i don't know how else to describe it. anyone else have this "problem"?

there is no problem with the mic on the phone since the other person says they can hear me fine. i can hear them fine too... without telling my wife anything, i asked her to try making a call with my phone and she too said something was a little off with the incoming call voice quality...
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (4.4.3), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired)
    tablet: LG G Pad 8.3 White (4.4.2), Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 32GB (ICS)

Default Re: Incoming Call Quality

I haven't noticed any issues like that. What wireless provider are you using? I have T-Mobile, and the voice quality is equivalent to my old Razr Maxx on Verizon.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I haven't noticed any issues like that. What wireless provider are you using? I have T-Mobile, and the voice quality is equivalent to my old Razr Maxx on Verizon.
    i have tmo as well.

i had a g2 prior to this and the voices sounded "true". the voices like i said sound like the people are on speaker phone or speaking in a large empty room on the other end. think i'll head to the store and see if another unit has the same issue.
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (4.4.3), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired)

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

My wife and I both have the N5 on the TMobile network and we will have conversations where it sounds like she is standing right next to me. Clear and crisp and great. Then there will be other calls that they sound like any other phone call on a cell phone. Anyone know why that is? Because I would love to always have conversations where the calls are crystal clear like some of the calls I have.

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Something to consider is the signal quality, and device they are using.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Something to consider is the signal quality, and device they are using.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    my wife just picked up a nexus 5 and we tried calling each other AND swapped phones while one person was in the living room and one in the bedroom. signal strength and everything was the same. there is definitely incoming call quality issues on both of our phones - the sound coming through the ear piece is much like old school walkie talkie with sound cutting out/silent when the other party stops talking. i guess that's why i felt the sound sounded like someone was talking on speaker phone in a large room...

i'm going to contact google support and see what they have to say. i've made dozens of calls and they sound the same. i also tried a headset and that also exhibited the same symptoms. my guess is its a software issue since the call quality issue translated over to a plugged in headset as well...

Global Posts
    22,120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by g2_havok View Post
    my wife just picked up a nexus 5 and we tried calling each other AND swapped phones while one person was in the living room and one in the bedroom. signal strength and everything was the same. there is definitely incoming call quality issues on both of our phones - the sound coming through the ear piece is much like old school walkie talkie with sound cutting out/silent when the other party stops talking. i guess that's why i felt the sound sounded like someone was talking on speaker phone in a large room...

i'm going to contact google support and see what they have to say. i've made dozens of calls and they sound the same. i also tried a headset and that also exhibited the same symptoms. my guess is its a software issue since the call quality issue translated over to a plugged in headset as well...
    Hope everything goes well talking with Google. I like my N5. Great device.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here