T-Mobile signal in buildings?

cmcfarland

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that bad at penetrating buildings? Bout jump from att and a note 3. Also no wifi calling on the nexus?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where you are and the specifics of the building of course, but I left T-Mobile and switched to AIO (AT&T network) for just that reason. Poor to no signal in my workplace, the grocery store, the mall, etc.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any problem getting a signal on the 10th floor of my office in Manhattan and I am no where near a window.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile uses 1900MHz and 1700/2100MHz which can have more issues penetrating buildings than say a 850MHz provider.

It should be pointed out that the amount of cell sites and the spacing of cell sites also makes a difference.

In fact for a while AT&T Wireless Service (not to be confused with at&t) had signal penetration issues as they were running their fledgling GSM network on their 1900MHz spectrum holdings from towers spaced for their 850MHz network.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Native Wi-Fi calling requires the device to be a T-Mobile branded phone (they have their software on it). The Nexus 5 is straight from Google...no T-Mobile software = no "native" Wi-Fi calling. You could look into using a 3rd party app for it though...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would point out that even the N5 you can get through T-Mobile doesn't have Wi-Fi calling.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would point out that even the N5 you can get through T-Mobile doesn't have Wi-Fi calling.

Yep. Google still controls the software and doesn't allow them to add their bloat unfortunately.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, for free? That would be very surprising to me--it seems that nothing is free these days.

T-Mobile sent me a free Cel-fi signal booster to help out with my apartment's poor signal. The one condition is that I send it back to them in working condition if I ever cancel service.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Did you have to wrangle with them about it, or was it a pretty easy call?

I got mine 2 weeks ago and all it took was a quick call to customer service to answer a few questions. They had a post on G+ about it;
https://plus.google.com/101502056223282249599/posts/Zkb7SyfwAmg The only charge was a $7 shipping fee. As long as I send it back when/if I cancel service I won't have to pay the $500 it would cost otherwise;

Signal Booster FAQs | T-Mobile Support

Cell Phone Signal Booster - Plug-And-Play, Guaranteed to Work - Cel-Fi

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually get really good building penetration. just switched to T-mobile from Sprint, and I was worried about this as well. I work on the 4th floor of a 10 floor office building in Baltimore. On sprint, I was barely getting 1 bar of 3G, and 4G was non-existent. I was surprise to get a really good signal with T-mobile.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It's just going to depend. No one is going to be able to answer that for you. I just switched to tmobile from sprint, and I'm getting much better signal penetration in a couple of buildings that I frequently visit. But the signal might be worse in other buildings that I just haven't been back to, who knows.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It's just going to depend. No one is going to be able to answer that for you. I just switched to tmobile from sprint, and I'm getting much better signal penetration in a couple of buildings that I frequently visit. But the signal might be worse in other buildings that I just haven't been back to, who knows.

People might get better signal with Tmo simply because it might have stronger coverage and building construction might not be affecting it much. But generally Tmo frequencies are too high for good penetration.

Its actually a bit ridiculous, my wife switched her job location 3 times and I switched 2 times, in all 5 locations Tmo indoor signal was zero. I ordered booster but I doubt it will help because you MUST get a signal somewhere in the building in order for booster to work, and she gets big fat 0

Edit: at 4 locations there was no service......

Last edited:

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Technically the booster is not actually a booster but a micro cell site running over your Internet connection

Essentially T-Mobile is giving you a device which transmits a T-Mobile signal but backhauls that signal via your Internet connection.

It should solve any local issue but it does not improve signal issues in the area on a wider scale. For that T-Mobile would either have to add a cell site or adjust their antennas already installed.

Dan

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It all depends where you live and how close your cell towers are to where you are. I live a major city in South Florida in a highly populated areas of large two and four stories condos that has over 28 residential villages. AT&T that I had for two years with my iPhone 4 wouldn't work in my house. I paid $120 a month for two years with AT&T and every time I got a cell call I had to go outside my Townhouse and stand on top of the Hot Tub. Now I am with Metro PCS paying $35 a month using a N5 that accesses the T-Mobile towers and I have great voice and data inside the townhouse. Upstairs is excellent services,

When it comes to cell service it is just like real sate where LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is the most important detail.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Technically the booster is not actually a booster but a micro cell site running over your Internet connection

Essentially T-Mobile is giving you a device which transmits a T-Mobile signal but backhauls that signal via your Internet connection.

It should solve any local issue but it does not improve signal issues in the area on a wider scale. For that T-Mobile would either have to add a cell site or adjust their antennas already installed.

Dan

No, its actually a booster and has nothing to do with internet. "Micro cell site" is WiFi Calling feature that T-Mobile has