Nexus for cycling-walking directions? GPS- Handlebar mount?

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I've heard of people having issues with the Google maps GPS on their Nexus 5's. (Or GPS with another routing program?)

Is anyone successfully using one with Google maps, or another program, for navigating in the city or elsewhere, by bike or on foot?

And has anyone successfully mounted one on their bike handlebars, and do you use a battery booster?

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
After 3months of owning a N5 my gps started becoming real slow on data(suspect due to recent updates)..finally did a factory reset and it's back to normal...working great.

I use it often driving with no problems and plan on using it in a generic handlebar case bicycling when the weather breaks. Did this very successfully with my samsung s4 and the n5 should work just as good.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk HD

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Just to add to the thread, I use my Nexus 5 with a handlebar mount, but I don't always use it for navigation. It will work fine though with Google Maps.

Happy trails to you.

nb

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about Google Maps for cycling navigation. I'm glad to see them put the effort into it but the results are not all that great in terms of giving the rider useful routes in a city. Figuring out the optimal bike route in a city is often a complex problem involving many variables -- some of which vary by individual.

I wouldn't mount a smartphone on the handlebars -- too much chance of damage. I carry mine in a waterproof case in my pocket. BTW, I wish there was a great waterproof case specifically for the N5.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
[/URL]
I have mixed feelings about Google Maps for cycling navigation. I'm glad to see them put the effort into it but the results are not all that great in terms of giving the rider useful routes in a city. Figuring out the optimal bike route in a city is often a complex problem involving many variables -- some of which vary by individual.

I wouldn't mount a smartphone on the handlebars -- too much chance of damage. I carry mine in a waterproof case in my pocket. BTW, I wish there was a great waterproof case specifically for the N5.

Yeah Google maps cycling routes were terrible a few years ago, but are getting better with user feedback.

Why do you say there's too much chance of damage? You mean if you fell?

And I'm wondering which handlebar mount I should consider, if at all. Here is one on Ebay, $12 delivered world-wide, looks good.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...nt-Holder-for-LG-Google-Nexus-5-/360809238722
Anyone have a fave? Anyone get one of these mounts then not like using it? I've never tried one.

Last edited:

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I think he is probably referring to damage from vibration.

I wonder how serious a concern that is. Do you know of any source? A search brought this discussion up, there are differing views, but I found this interesting:

"...A modern cell phone contains almost no parts subject to mechanical wear, so vibration is low on the list of their enemies. Liquids are their chief enemy, severe shock next (being dropped), and electrical damage last (static)"

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You are correct in that there are few moving parts. I'm thinking more of parts that can move, but should not. For instance, what happens to the seating of a SIM card during repeated vibrations? Does it cause any kind of wear? If you are navigating and it constantly interrupts the signal does it cause any harm? Freeze the app? Damage a system file being used? What about shaking a phone with an accelerometer? Might it unintentionally launch an app that was designed to activate when that happens?

I think it is the constant vibration more than the occasional bump to be concerned with. Then again, maybe there is no reason for concern.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone here using Osmand Navigation on a Nexus 5? I wonder if this might be preferable for riding around a given city or region, as long as you have the local map downloaded I guess... Nice that it works without data, should help with battery life.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I use Endomondo Sports Tracker and its been great for tracking my route and accurate, from what I can tell, when walking or exercising.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Google maps cycling routes were terrible a few years ago, but are getting better with user feedback.

Why do you say there's too much chance of damage? You mean if you fell?

And I'm wondering which handlebar mount I should consider, if at all. Here is one on Ebay, $12 delivered world-wide, looks good.Extra Secure Bicycle Motorcycle Bike Mount Holder for LG Google Nexus 5 | eBay
Anyone have a fave? Anyone get one of these mounts then not like using it? I've never tried one.

I was thinking of what happens when you hit a big bump at speed. That and exposure to moisture -- which I believe is the biggest threat to a phone that I carry while I'm doing something active.

That mount in the eBay auction looks flimsy to me. If you hit a 6" pothole at 20mph your phone is popping out. :(

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought this bicycle mount from Amazon. And I use it frequently for playing Ingress on my Nexus 5, it holds the phone securely and vibration isn't an issue (it does vibrate a little bit, but not enough to bother me or cause any problems). When it is raining I put a clear plastic bag around the phone to protect it. With the screen, data and GPS on all the time for Ingress it does really eat through the battery though, I might get around 3 hours if I don't plug it into a battery pack, but perhaps a navigation app won't use up as much battery as Ingress does.

Posted via Android Central App

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Just tried to buy one of those from Amazon U.K. , but they won't ship to Canada. Oh well. Too bad because I like the idea that I might be able to still use this generic "Hair-clip style" mount when I get a different phone in the future.

Edit, okay I found the same one on Amazon.ca, only $9, free shipping! It ships from the States so it will be on Amazon.com as well. Thank you, Retshaw, this is perfect!

http://www.amazon.ca/GreatShield-Cl...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3450684

Last edited:

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I think he is probably referring to damage from vibration.

FYI , I've used every smartphone I've owned for the last 10 years mounted on my motorcycle(s). Significant vibration/buzz through the handlebars but has never caused a malfunction with the smartphone.

Even had one fall off and drag on the ground for 50 yards via the usb/power cord but it survived thanks to the otterbox.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress